• Marks of Cadency - Tincture and Placement

From Rock Vacirca@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 15 00:58:26 2020
    Hi guys,

I have the following blazon for the Robynson family of Thicket (Dugdale's Visitation of Yorkshire, 1665, p. 142):

Vert, on a chevron between three stags trippant or, 3 cinquefoils gules, an annulet for difference.

The coat is easy enough, but my two questions are:

1. what tincture should the annulet be? (Vert, or, gules, other?)

2. Where should the annulet be placed? I am tempted to place it between the two stags in chief if I have a free choice

Again, many thanks for any pointers on this

Rock (Wibs)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Howarth@21:1/5 to Rock Vacirca on Mon Jun 15 22:02:02 2020
    On Monday, 15 June 2020 08:58:27 UTC+1, Rock Vacirca wrote:
    Hi guys,

I have the following blazon for the Robynson family of Thicket (Dugdale's Visitation of Yorkshire, 1665, p. 142):

Vert, on a chevron between three stags trippant or, 3 cinquefoils gules, an annulet for difference.

2. Where should the annulet be placed? I am tempted to place it between the two stags in chief if I have a free choice

Rock (Wibs)

Despite all the so-called 'rules' of heraldry, this is in the end a purely artistic decision. The fact that the blazon does not specify where the annulet is to be placed is an indication of this. For what it is worth, the heraldic painters at the
    College of Arms, when asked to paint my two younger brothers' arms (a chevron between three charges, differenced), put their differences exactly where you suggest, in chief between the two upper charges. With the annulet now on the green field, that
    suggests either Or or Argent as the tincture. But the choice of both tincture and position is yours - whatever looks good to you!

Peter Howarth

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rock Vacirca@21:1/5 to Peter Howarth on Wed Jun 17 01:50:14 2020
    On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 07:02:03 UTC+2, Peter Howarth wrote:
    On Monday, 15 June 2020 08:58:27 UTC+1, Rock Vacirca wrote:
    Hi guys,

Rock (Wibs)

Despite all the so-called 'rules' of heraldry, this is in the end a purely artistic decision. The fact that the blazon does not specify where the annulet is to be placed is an indication of this. For what it is worth, the heraldic painters at the
    College of Arms, when asked to paint my two younger brothers' arms (a chevron between three charges, differenced), put their differences exactly where you suggest, in chief between the two upper charges. With the annulet now on the green field, that
    suggests either Or or Argent as the tincture. But the choice of both tincture and position is yours - whatever looks good to you!

Peter Howarth

Thanks again Peter.

Rock (Wibs)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05