• Deciphering the Blazon of a Seal

From JPD@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 30 09:24:25 2020
    I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help me untangle the following blazon:

Écu écartelé, aux 1 et 4 de neuf besants 3, 3 et 3 sous un chef, aux 2 et 3 d’un écusson en abîme dans une orle de huit étoiles; accosté de feuillages.

This is a seal used in 1396 by Pierre de Marigny, advocate in the Parlement de Paris. I understand the first and fourth quarters and that the “accosté de feuillages” probably means that the arms are surrounded by foliage on the seal.

The problem I am having is with the second and third quarters. Would one of you with more expertise explain to me in simple terms what “d’un écusson en abîme dans une orle de huit étoiles” means. I understand the individual terms, but I just
    cannot visualize how it all comes together.

Your assistance is appreciated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JPD@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 30 16:19:26 2020
    To see my first effort at deciphering the blazon for this seal point to http://habitant.org/images/Baillon/Marigny_bis_3.gif. I did not include the foilage that would surround the seal. Please let me know if I am close. Thakns.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott55@21:1/5 to JPD on Sun May 31 23:27:09 2020
    On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 7:19:27 PM UTC-4, JPD wrote:
    To see my first effort at deciphering the blazon for this seal point to http://habitant.org/images/Baillon/Marigny_bis_3.gif. I did not include the foilage that would surround the seal. Please let me know if I am close. Thakns.

Looks like you've got it. Do you have an image that is hatched? If so, you can determine tinctures.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott55@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 1 00:23:41 2020
    On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 2:27:10 AM UTC-4, Scott55 wrote:

Looks like you've got it. Do you have an image that is hatched? If so, you can determine tinctures.

Never mind, that question is foolish.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 3ARwun@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 6 05:57:11 2020
    On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 2:23:42 AM UTC-5, Scott55 wrote:
    On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 2:27:10 AM UTC-4, Scott55 wrote:

Never mind, that question is foolish.

maybe, but i wish we had more posts about hatching and hatchments on this board. though lately, I'd be happy with any posts on almost anything on this board...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JPD@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 6 11:01:48 2020
    Yes, rec.heraldry is not waht it use to be. Hardly anyone seems to comment anymore. Of course, I should not complain as I rarely check in and read rec.heraldry anymore. Where has everyone gone?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott55@21:1/5 to JPD on Sun Jun 7 07:19:08 2020
    On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 2:01:50 PM UTC-4, JPD wrote:
    Yes, rec.heraldry is not waht it use to be. Hardly anyone seems to comment anymore. Of course, I should not complain as I rarely check in and read rec.heraldry anymore. Where has everyone gone?

Usenet is rife with Trolls. As soon as they see that a user group is becoming active, they will start to Troll it. If the user group has a moderator that's willing to police the usegroup, then no problem. Otherwise the group becomes a cesspool of Troll
    poop.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 3ARwun@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 17 01:25:06 2020
    On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 9:19:09 AM UTC-5, Scott55 wrote:
    On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 2:01:50 PM UTC-4, JPD wrote:

Usenet is rife with Trolls. As soon as they see that a user group is becoming active, they will start to Troll it. If the user group has a moderator that's willing to police the usegroup, then no problem. Otherwise the group becomes a cesspool of Troll
    poop.

Having a moderator can be a major PIA when you are the one getting moderated, but a Godsend when trolls and flamebaiters just won't quit. I guess the answer is that a group should have a moderator, and a GOOD moderator.

There was an unmoderated martial arts group that was over run with trolls and juveniles. But the moderated board used it for fairness; when a discussion was going on and on, the moderator would just make an announcement that the "XYZ" thread had gone on
    for too long - everybody sum up your opinions and make a final post. All posts after that date can follow up on the unmoderated board.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05