• .25 Gibbs load data

From rickbswartz@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 17 13:29:12 2018
    On Tuesday, November 12, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, asm wrote:
    # I need load data for a 25 Gibbs.

Mine is blown right out with a 40 degree shoulder and short neck. I shoot 67 GR. of RL 22 with 100 GR. Speer BT.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From peterwezeman@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 30 08:37:46 2018
    On Wednesday, November 13, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Gary Anglin wrote:
    # asm6643@acs.tamu.edu (asm) wrote:
    #
    # #I need load data for a 25 Gibbs.
    #
    # Your best bet is to order the book on Rocky Gibbs from Wolfe
    # Publishing.

Was it Gibbs that did some work on flash-tube ignition; i.e. an
    extension tube from the primer pocket to ignite the powder in
    the front part of the cartridge case first?

Peter Wezeman
    anti-social Darwinist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mison@rucls.net@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 10 01:40:14 2019
    On Tuesday, November 12, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, asm wrote:
    # I need load data for a 25 Gibbs.

25 Gibbs case fire forming

Here`s one way to fire form a 25 Gibbs cartridge. Start with 30-06 cases, use a 270 win. Full length Die. Slowly adjust the die down to resize a false neck to about 250 th. In length .Then use a 25-06 rem. (Again full length
    die to help keep the case neck in alignment) Adjust the 25 die down to the
    250 th .false neck length. This will create a bulge for the head spacing of the case. Doing this will help keep the neck in alignment with the body of the case.
    Next prime the cases & use a good stout load of fast burning pistol power, around
    10 to 13 grains of Alliant 2400 or whatever ya have. Next drop in a small piece of tissue paper to keep the powder in place, then fill the case about 80 % full of cream of wheat. Next fill the remainder of the case with more tissue paper & use something to help push it down, packing it as tight as possible. Sometimes I add
    wax to help seal off the case mouth. Then apply a thin coat of oil to the case neck & shoulder area. If ya used a good stout load of pistol powder & packed everything
    good an tight? you`ll blow the case out & have an almost sharp 35 degree shoulder
    angle . Then anneal your cases, use your Gibbs die to resize & trim to length. Lastly use a 25 caliber outside neck turner to insure the wall thickness is correct.
    Thick necks can create poor bullet release, causing high pressure spikes & poor alignment between bullet & rifle bore. Then load a 25 cal. Bullet seated out tight
    to the lands, with a moderately light powder load to complete the fire forming of
    a Gibbs cartridge. Always start with newer brass & always work your loads up slowly & safely. Rocky Gibbs once commented a Gibbs rifle with a longer barrel, makes a Weatherby with a short barrel, just another rifle & By God he was right.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05