• Franchi O/U Problem

From Pavel Svinchnik@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 9 13:26:55 2019
    I have a Franchi over/under 12 gauge, single trigger with a selector safety to determine the firing order of the barrels, with an unusual problem. I was shooting it at the trap range the other day after not having shot it for over a year. I shot the
    first round through the top barrel only. It fired OK for about a dozen shots, but on the third station wouldn't fire. It seemed like the safety was stuck or something like that. I tried cocking it several times without effect, so I shot a few shells
    through the lower barrel, after which the top barrel worked again for the rest of the round.

On the second round, I shot through the lower barrel and had no problems for all 25 shots.

This happened the last few times I had this gun at the trap range; fires well for a while, then jams up, then fires OK again. I don't remember if it was just the top barrel that jams as it was a while ago.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Franks@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 13 15:59:09 2019
    On 8/9/2019 6:26 AM, Pavel Svinchnik wrote:
    # I have a Franchi over/under 12 gauge, single trigger with a selector safety to determine the firing order of the barrels, with an unusual problem. I was shooting it at the trap range the other day after not having shot it for over a year. I shot the
    first round through the top barrel only. It fired OK for about a dozen shots, but on the third station wouldn't fire. It seemed like the safety was stuck or something like that. I tried cocking it several times without effect, so I shot a few shells
    through the lower barrel, after which the top barrel worked again for the rest of the round.
    #
    # On the second round, I shot through the lower barrel and had no problems for all 25 shots.
    #
    # This happened the last few times I had this gun at the trap range; fires well for a while, then jams up, then fires OK again. I don't remember if it was just the top barrel that jams as it was a while ago.
    #
    # Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Are you using different ammo?

Some single-trigger double barrel guns use an inertial mechanism to
    switch from one barrel active to the other after each shot. (The other mechanism is mechanical). Do you know what your gun has?

If you are using low recoil loads, that could affect the mechanism (if inertial), coupled with maybe it is dirty/gummed up. IDK if it is a
    'fix it yourself' type of repair, maybe time to see a smith.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pavel Svinchnik@21:1/5 to Peter Franks on Wed Aug 14 12:56:04 2019
    On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 11:59:10 AM UTC-4, Peter Franks wrote:
    On 8/9/2019 6:26 AM, Pavel Svinchnik wrote:
    # I have a Franchi over/under 12 gauge, single trigger with a selector safety to determine the firing order of the barrels, with an unusual problem. I was shooting it at the trap range the other day after not having shot it for over a year. I shot the
    #
    # On the second round, I shot through the lower barrel and had no problems for all 25 shots.
    #
    # This happened the last few times I had this gun at the trap range; fires well for a while, then jams up, then fires OK again. I don't remember if it was just the top barrel that jams as it was a while ago.
    #
    # Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Are you using different ammo?

Some single-trigger double barrel guns use an inertial mechanism to
    switch from one barrel active to the other after each shot. (The other mechanism is mechanical). Do you know what your gun has?

If you are using low recoil loads, that could affect the mechanism (if inertial), coupled with maybe it is dirty/gummed up. IDK if it is a
    'fix it yourself' type of repair, maybe time to see a smith.

The ammo was consistent for all 50 shots, Federal 12ga, 2-3/4 inch, 1-1/8 oz of #8 shot, 3 dram eq., with a muzzle velocity of 1,200 fps. This is what I usually use at the trap range and have had no cycle problems when shooting through a semi-auto
    Remington. While shooting last week, I noticed no variation in the recoil at any time.

I don't know for sure, but an internet search indicates that the Franchi Instinct has an inertial mechanism. It's still under warranty so I'm going to send it back to the Franchi site in Maryland. Your diagnosis of a gummed-up mechanism sounds probable.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Franks@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 23 20:09:45 2019
    # I don't know for sure, but an internet search indicates that the Franchi Instinct has an
    # inertial mechanism. It's still under warranty so I'm going to send it back to the Franchi
    # site in Maryland. Your diagnosis of a gummed-up mechanism sounds probable.

Let us know what you hear back from Franchi on the repair.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05