• Re: Morning Glories climbing power lines

From Jess@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 1 03:02:37 2022
    Yes, if the vine finds a way to complete a circuit it could start a fire. If the weed finds it’s way into a transformer it can cause more damage.

Once morning glory gets established it turns from a pretty flower into a noxious weed. It’s nearly impossible to get rid of and will choke out anything in its path. Not only will it reseed itself, it’ll spread by the roots. Believe it or not, yanking
    the plant out will only make it spread faster via rhizomes. I strongly suggest round up, and lots of it. And for the love of god, please stop planting morning glories!

Good luck.

--
    For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden/morning-glories-climbing-power-lines-6411-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From songbird@21:1/5 to Jess on Mon Aug 1 23:39:13 2022
    Jess wrote:
    Yes, if the vine finds a way to complete a circuit it could start a fire. If the weed finds it’s way into a transformer it can cause more damage.

Once morning glory gets established it turns from a pretty flower into a noxious weed. It’s nearly impossible to get rid of and will choke out anything in its path. Not only will it reseed itself, it’ll spread by the roots. Believe it or not,
    yanking the plant out will only make it spread faster via rhizomes. I strongly suggest round up, and lots of it. And for the love of god, please stop planting morning glories!

Good luck.

i agree, they are very hard to eradicate once they've spread.
    years ago we let some grow and flower on the fences and in
    another garden and while i stopped growing them and have kept
    removing any new ones that sprout it is still coming up from
    the seeds dropped many years ago.

songbird

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to songbird on Mon Aug 1 22:17:41 2022
    On 8/1/2022 8:39 PM, songbird wrote:
    Jess wrote:

Once morning glory gets established it turns from a pretty flower into a noxious weed. It’s nearly impossible to get rid of and will choke out anything in its path. Not only will it reseed itself, it’ll spread by the roots. Believe it or not,
    yanking the plant out will only make it spread faster via rhizomes. I strongly suggest round up, and lots of it. And for the love of god, please stop planting morning glories!

Good luck.

i agree, they are very hard to eradicate once they've spread.
    years ago we let some grow and flower on the fences and in
    another garden and while i stopped growing them and have kept
    removing any new ones that sprout it is still coming up from
    the seeds dropped many years ago.

I have been fighting them off since I bought my first house 50 years
    ago. If they are anywhere near you, the birds drop the seeds everywhere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05