• Announcement: Interactive BASIC Interpreter for the Vectrex

From google@loadaccumulator.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 22 11:58:23 2016
    Hi,

I have created a new cartridge for the Vectrex that effectively upgrades it to 32 bits and allows you to write Vectrex games in interactive interpreted BASIC.

The cartridge, which I call the Vectrex32 SmartCart, is based on the Microchip PIC32. It’s a 32 bit microcontroller that runs at 200 MHz, has a floating point unit, 2MB of flash, and 512KB of RAM. By comparison, the Vectrex’s 6809 is an 8/16 bit
    processor with 8KB of ROM and 1K of RAM.

The BASIC interpreter and the game run on the PIC32. There’s a dual-port memory chip readable and writable by both the PIC32 and the 6809. The PIC32 writes 6809 machine code into the dual-port memory and the 6809 runs it. Thirty times per second, the
    PIC32 writes the instructions needed to draw the screen, play sounds, and read the controller. Since the game logic is running on the PIC32, games can be far more sophisticated than anything the Vectrex could do alone.

The SmartCart also has a USB interface. When connected to a PC, it appears as a mass storage drive and a serial port. The drive holds BASIC programs and the serial port can be used with a terminal emulator. You can interactively debug a BASIC program (my
    version of BASIC supports breakpoints, single-stepping, printing out variables, and more). You can also interactively change things on the screen, e.g. you can experiment to get your shapes looking right and moving right.

The SmartCart provides advanced graphics features like sprites, scaling, rotating, and clipping.

I’ve written extensive documentation and built a web site, Vectrex32.com, to provide support and create a community of Vectrex32 users. People will be able to discuss programming and swap games that they’ve written.

There's a demo video at https://youtu.be/drtL5uWlfJA

As of this writing, I’ve had 20 SmartCarts manufactured and I’m selling them on eBay. If there’s demand, I’ll make more.

- Bob Alexander

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Computer Nerd Kev@21:1/5 to google@loadaccumulator.com on Mon Aug 22 22:25:22 2016
    google@loadaccumulator.com wrote:
    Hi,

I have created a new cartridge for the Vectrex that effectively upgrades
    it to 32 bits and allows you to write Vectrex games in interactive interpreted BASIC.

Neat idea. A bit like the SuperCPU for the Commodore 64.

I've only breifly looked at the documentation, but it presents very
    well and is clearly the product of significant work on its own.

However I do think that it's a shame that there's no example program
    available for download at the moment (as far as I can see). This would
    be handy for programmers to use as an example, and simply as something
    to make the cartridge do when it's first received.

--
    __ __
    #_ < |\| |< _#

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)