• Using Leela

From wersod@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 02:41:14 2017
    One thing I forgot: you can switch from "probable moves" (F3) to "best moves" (F4). That way, the moves will change as the analysis progresses, and very often the most likely moves will not be the best moves.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From wersod@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 02:39:22 2017
    Am Mittwoch, 5. April 2017 03:42:39 UTC+2 schrieb Bill:
    I downloaded the Leela go program two days ago, and I feel likes it's already improved my play. I play a game against it, and then review it
    with the "Move Probabilities" turn on. Clearly, the moves suggested are
    not always correct, but consideration of them definitely improves my
    play. Someone (like me) with knowledge of the fundamental strategies of
    the game, but who hasn't integrated them thoroughly, and is willing to think, can make sense of the suggestions.

My question is: What are the "Move Probabilities" (or, where do they
    come from)?

By the way, I noticed that the "analysis" part of the program runs my
    CPU (i7-4790K) at 100% (getting the cores into the high temp range ~73C.
    ), so I reduced my use of that feature since I haven't set up my
    computer for those extremes. This is the first program I've run that
    uses more than 1 core of my cpu--and use it, it does! ; )

Hi Bill,

in case you (or anyone else) is still interested in an answer:

1) the move probabilities come from the neural network that Leela uses to filter out the most likely moves that are worth exploring deeper. They come from millions of games (I think from KGS) that have been fed into the neural net, that way it learns
    from human games what a human would play in a given situation. If you're more interested in this topic I suggest you google a bit around for "alphago policy network"... it is a complicated subject when it comes to the details of how it works.

2) If you are running windows and have some current GPU (graphics card), you may try to use the OPENCL version of Leela. Basically, this switches the main load of analysis computations to the GPU, leaving your CPU idle. It works nicely for me on Linux,
    but it was a little messy to get it going. On windows this should be no big deal, just install the latest driver for your graphics card. I agree it is a little annoying that Leela will just hog 100% CPU power, making the machine very unresponsive. Even
    the "next move" click will be a challenge ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to wersod@gmail.com on Sat Sep 23 17:40:49 2017
    wersod@gmail.com wrote:
    One thing I forgot: you can switch from "probable moves" (F3) to "best moves" (F4). That way, the moves will change as the analysis progresses, and very often the most likely moves will not be the best moves.

Hi! Thank you for this suggestion (and your other ones, including about powering Leela by the GPU). I will investigate as time permits! Besides
    still working on my Go game, I'm learning the Python programming language.

Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mingwu@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 25 13:05:33 2019
    Try this one: play Go with AI online http://joort.com/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05