• FTPing and wuarchive.wustl.edu

From Werner Schoenfeldinger@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Stine on Wed Jun 9 02:27:02 2021
    Here is Cyron,

I wanted everyone to have the VieMud code, to make it better (let call it an "open source project").

best regards from almost 30 years after.

Werner

On Wednesday, March 3, 1993 at 5:44:38 AM UTC+1, Jeffrey Stine wrote:
    In article <1993Mar1.1...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60c...@e260-3d.berkeley.edu (Hatchet Tse) writes:
    In article <1993Mar1...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> wil...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
    writes:
    It's /pub/mud/dikumud on wuarchive.wustl.edu.

Furey
    Merc Industries

I could not find the /mud/ period... hum....

You are both correct, gentlemen. When Furey posted that message, the files >(VieMud source and lib tar files) WERE in that directory. However, as of >the last time I checked, the directory has disappeared. You ask why? Well, >I'm not wustl, so no go. If you are searching for VieMud, well, I also >checked the other ftp site for you, and, nope, it ain't there either. To >sum it all up, here's my log of wustl's ftp.

Warning: the VieMUD code is in dispute from me. I wrote the version of
    code they obtained from someone they say anonymously mailed it to them. (Several people recieved the Apocalypse I code (Temple v3.1) from a thief) They politely inquired if they may use parts of it. I responded they may
    for _their own use_. The docs, licenses and some copyright notices were cospicuously missing from those copies that were leaked. Fact remains
    I licenced the code for use at one site only and permission to distribute
    was withheld. I have been in contact with Cyron and am trying to work
    out something whereby he can legitemately distribute his work.
    I also contact wuarchive.wustl.edu to let them know of the dispute and
    they removed it.
    Before you start complaining know that my reasons for withholding permission on distribution is for legal and financial reasons. Most of the code in
    those versions was still crude but represented some ideas that I consider proprietary and expect to use in comercial work. Again any copies that
    got circulated were without my permission and I have always tried to track down anyone distributing work in an attempt to avoid problems. One of
    which involves the orginald diku license which was kept absent - a clear NO-NO.. all doc, license or other pertinent info was not kept with the sources known as viemud placed for ftp.
    If you have a copy I ask that you contact me and let me know your source.
    An agreement might be reached whereby you could use some parts if you do
    so. If not, legal action would be considered. It is a pity that it has
    come to this because of a few individual's actions, but there you have it. The writers of Apocalypse may also be interested in hearing from you
    as well, I am not familiar with how much they added at the time, but
    I am sure they did add something. No one should ever take it on themselves
    to distribute code that is not explicitly stated to be in the public domain and/or shareware that include written permission. This is only common
    sense and common courtesy.
    But, luckily, Merc Industries still has a copy of VieMud when the sites >still contained those files ... So, if anyone wishes to get a copy of them, >email me, c60c...@e260-3d.berkeley.edu, and I'll arrange for a way to
    get them. Since the original post was from Cyron, I would assume that that's >what he would have wanted done. Of course, please email me otherwise, Cyron, >if that is not your wish.

Of course, but please don't post if you don't know what you are posting >about.

Hatchet
    Merc Industries

DO _not_ assume anything (see above). Please do not take it on yourself
    to distribute said code. rm the code or write me and ask about which
    parts can be _used_, not distributed.
    -jeffrey stine (Abaddon)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From James Power@21:1/5 to Werner Schoenfeldinger on Sat Aug 20 19:23:46 2022
    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 5:27:03 AM UTC-4, Werner Schoenfeldinger wrote:
    Here is Cyron,

I wanted everyone to have the VieMud code, to make it better (let call it an "open source project").

best regards from almost 30 years after.

Werner

Wow, blast from the past! I think a game I maintain is based on some VieMud code? NCMUD (https://ncmud.net)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)