• I tried out Citadel Contrast so you don't have to.

From Erik Setzer@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 5 19:14:59 2019
    Yeah, I felt like doing a catchy title. But I think it fits.

I ordered most of the Contrast paints (sans two that were still sold out) a couple weeks ago and have been burning through a chunk of my unpainted models trying them out. So far, I think they're pretty solid.

The short of it is: They do what they're supposed to. You can get a solid tabletop quality paint job from them. Won't win awards, but it'll look pretty solid and is a LOT better than unpainted (or just a base coat with no shading or highlighting). It'
    s not miracle juice, but if you have a bunch of models you need to get through and want to do them quickly, or want an excuse to paint figures from board games, they work.

That's the TL;DR. I did a write-up with examples and more in-depth thoughts and posted it online. I did the short version here so if you don't want to give it a click, all good (don't worry, there's no ads).

http://www.realmsofinisfail.com/2019/07/citadel-contrast-early-impressions/

If you have questions about it, I can do my best to answer.

- Erik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Insane Ranter@21:1/5 to Erik Setzer on Fri Jul 5 20:56:16 2019
    On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 10:15:00 PM UTC-4, Erik Setzer wrote:

I ordered most of the Contrast paints (sans two that were still sold out) a couple weeks ago and have been burning through a chunk of my unpainted models trying them out. So far, I think they're pretty solid.

The short of it is: They do what they're supposed to. You can get a solid tabletop quality paint job from them. Won't win awards, but it'll look pretty solid and is a LOT better than unpainted (or just a base coat with no shading or highlighting).
    It's not miracle juice, but if you have a bunch of models you need to get through and want to do them quickly, or want an excuse to paint figures from board games, they work.

That's the TL;DR. I did a write-up with examples and more in-depth thoughts and posted it online. I did the short version here so if you don't want to give it a click, all good (don't worry, there's no ads).

- Erik

Are they really just paints that GW has done some marketing scheme that has rope the unthinking into spending money on them when they are just the same old inks and washes of old?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Insane Ranter@21:1/5 to Erik Setzer on Fri Jul 5 20:58:15 2019
    It's not miracle juice,

This point right here is my contention with these contrast paints. I feel GW markets them as such. In the long run, I think it will be a detriment to painting skill. Just slap on the paint this brand new paint and go go go!!!!

Ugh. GW money grab>??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erik Setzer@21:1/5 to Insane Ranter on Sat Jul 6 07:10:33 2019
    On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 11:58:16 PM UTC-4, Insane Ranter wrote:

This point right here is my contention with these contrast paints. I feel GW markets them as such. In the long run, I think it will be a detriment to painting skill. Just slap on the paint this brand new paint and go go go!!!!

If someone wants decent looking models, they'll have to learn some basic painting skills, because this stuff's less forgiving to mistakes overall than regular painting is. You can't just take the color and put it over a mistake, you have to reapply the
    basecoat color and then reapply the Contrast, and if you try to do it in a small area, it can be rather noticeable. You can make it work with some colors, but even black has a tendency to show colors under it depending on what's under it (but that's
    also because the black isn't that dark unless you apply two coats, and then you run the risk of it just looking like a flat coat of black).

The marketing's the big problem there. They want to talk it up for beginners but seem to be afraid that mentioning you still have to use brush control would turn off beginners. I think it's actually a good thing, because someone learning the control
    needed to not muck up Contrast means they'll be better later on. But if people don't know the potential pitfalls, they might mess it up and not know what they could have done to avoid it.

- Erik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blackheart@21:1/5 to Insane Ranter on Sun Jul 7 14:40:57 2019
    It's not miracle juice,

Ugh. GW money grab>??

The people that can't don't or just plain won't paint their models aren't going to ever be figured into any kind of "painting skill".

This removes a mental barrier for a segment of the hobby that think "painting takes to long". And it gives another tool to the people that do paint.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Insane Ranter@21:1/5 to Blackheart on Sun Jul 7 21:29:17 2019
    On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 5:40:58 PM UTC-4, Blackheart wrote:
    It's not miracle juice,

Ugh. GW money grab>??

The people that can't don't or just plain won't paint their models aren't going to ever be figured into any kind of "painting skill".

This removes a mental barrier for a segment of the hobby that think "painting takes to long". And it gives another tool to the people that do paint.

All they are is taking a hammer and coloring it blue and calling it a nail pounder. The tools already exist changing the name and acting like its a miracle paint is off.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erik Setzer@21:1/5 to Blackheart on Mon Jul 8 13:13:50 2019

This removes a mental barrier for a segment of the hobby that think "painting takes to long"

Also handy for when you have figures you want to paint but don't want to invest much time in, i.e. simple monsters for D&D sessions. I'm playing more D&D than Warhammer these days, and we use figures for fights. A PC model I'll put some time and love
    into, but being able to churn out a bunch of Undead in a short time period? Very useful.

Heck, even for just getting a new army on the table to test without it being bare plastic. You can quickly get some Contrast on it, play some games, then come back and apply highlights and rework some areas. I have a feeling I'll be doing that with my
    Stormcast. I'm painting them with Contrast now, because otherwise they'd be a shameful grey army, but I'm also trying to sort out what colors I'll need later to come back and do some extra work on them with highlights and such. (The other alternative
    was to made a "brass statue" army... kind of like the stone statue army concept that GW ripped off from a guy who posted his on Facebook, but a different spin and still extra easy to get on the table.)

And it gives another tool to the people that do paint.

That's one thing I'm interested in testing. It's kind of like a glaze and a wash in one, so there's some potential for different applications of it even without using it as "one and done."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Insane Ranter@21:1/5 to Erik Setzer on Mon Jul 8 21:20:56 2019
    On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:13:51 PM UTC-4, Erik Setzer wrote:

This removes a mental barrier for a segment of the hobby that think "painting takes to long"

Also handy for when you have figures you want to paint but don't want to invest much time in, i.e. simple monsters for D&D sessions.
    Heck, even for just getting a new army on the table to test without it being bare plastic.

If I'm at this level of not being picky spray paint works much faster than brush and paint.

^_^

I wish I could find a good D&D game...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erik Setzer@21:1/5 to Insane Ranter on Wed Jul 17 15:15:36 2019
    On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 12:20:57 AM UTC-4, Insane Ranter wrote:

I wish I could find a good D&D game...

All the people I've played D&D with lately, including every member of the guys I've been playing weekly for the last year-plus, I ended up meeting at the Games Workshop store. We shared our love for nerdy stuff and one guy happens to enjoy running it.

Much as I don't really go to the GW store these days (GW's doing its best to price me out), it was good for meeting fellow gamers/nerds. Mandated lunch break in the middle of the day meant at least a half hour of sitting and talking to multiple people,
    and then since the shop closed at 8 it gave us a couple hours to go grab more chips, queso, and beer. All it took, really.

Good luck in finding a game, man. I know some of them can be really bad, but finding a good one... that's so many weekends of fun, for a lot less than GW wants.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Desert Lurker@21:1/5 to Erik Setzer on Wed Aug 28 10:40:25 2019

The short of it is: They do what they're supposed to. You can get a solid tabletop quality paint job from them. Won't win awards, but it'll look pretty solid and is a LOT better than unpainted (or just a base coat with no shading or highlighting).
    It's not miracle juice, but if you have a bunch of models you need to get through and want to do them quickly, or want an excuse to paint figures from board games, they work.

- Erik

Yeah that's pretty much my take also. It is actually harder than spraying all your mainres blue nuln oil done. Some of the dark colors are too dark and need medium. Or I just doing it wrong. Or I could be in the wrong hobby.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erik Setzer@21:1/5 to Desert Lurker on Thu Aug 29 08:09:49 2019
    On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 1:40:26 PM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:

Yeah that's pretty much my take also. It is actually harder than spraying all your mainres blue nuln oil done. Some of the dark colors are too dark and need medium. Or I just doing it wrong. Or I could be in the wrong hobby.

For Marines it's not the best option, ditto anything else with large surface space without much going on.

Some of the colors are a bit tricky... I'm not sure if any of them have been too dark for me yet, but I've so far only used the new primers and some white primer. Some of them do seem to be less transparent than others, though. Still do the trick,
    sure, but a bit of thinning does help out.

They're decent paints, and technically can get models "battle-ready" for players, but they're going to look average/"okay" at best unless you actually put in some work with using them. I've liked them for trying out some tricks, but I do admit it seems
    like they aren't exactly "noob-friendly."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05