• [GW] Share Price.

From rgmwLargie@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 5 10:08:08 2020
    Hi

Those with long memories may remember when the GW share price dropped to £3.97 a share (1999 Google tells me).

Just seen its hit new heights of £110.20 and is currently being flagged a star performer in the FTSE top 350.

If only I'd bought shares instead of another GorkaMorka set and a BattleFleet Gothic set I could have cleared my mortgage !

Cheers
    Dave
    [Rgmw]largie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Erik Setzer@21:1/5 to rgmw.l...@googlemail.com on Thu Nov 5 13:30:46 2020
    On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:08:10 PM UTC-5, rgmw.l...@googlemail.com wrote:
    Hi

Those with long memories may remember when the GW share price dropped to £3.97 a share (1999 Google tells me).

Just seen its hit new heights of £110.20 and is currently being flagged a star performer in the FTSE top 350.

If only I'd bought shares instead of another GorkaMorka set and a BattleFleet Gothic set I could have cleared my mortgage !

Kinda wish I'd jumped in on it. Not surprising that promoting the CFO to take over the business has led to this. They've doubled down hard on their "premium pricing" model, spreading out their IP to everyone they can, pushing more games with varying
    price points to cover the market, and replacing rulebooks so fast I can't even tell what the latest versions of some are. It's bad for the hobby but great for GW's bottom line, and that's what shareholders care about.

But I also wish I still had a copy of GorkaMorka, and all my BFG stuff. Regretably lost to fire. Would help remind me of a time when it didn't feel like GW didn't give a damn about games, just printing money. Good thing there's plenty of other
    companies making games now, some of them growing in popularity. Though if they start to cut into GW's customer share too much, that *might* hurt the share price. Probably not, because then GW would raise prices for remaining suckers, um, customers, and
    just whore out their IP some more to rake in more money without spending more.

- Erik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dmunz@21:1/5 to Erik Setzer on Wed Dec 23 05:56:39 2020
    On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 3:30:47 PM UTC-6, Erik Setzer wrote:
    On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:08:10 PM UTC-5, rgmw.l...@googlemail.com wrote:
    Hi

Kinda wish I'd jumped in on it. Not surprising that promoting the CFO to take over the business has led to this. They've doubled down hard on their "premium pricing" model, spreading out their IP to everyone they can, pushing more games with varying
    price points to cover the market, and replacing rulebooks so fast I can't even tell what the latest versions of some are. It's bad for the hobby but great for GW's bottom line, and that's what shareholders care about.

But I also wish I still had a copy of GorkaMorka, and all my BFG stuff. Regretably lost to fire. Would help remind me of a time when it didn't feel like GW didn't give a damn about games, just printing money. Good thing there's plenty of other
    companies making games now, some of them growing in popularity. Though if they start to cut into GW's customer share too much, that *might* hurt the share price. Probably not, because then GW would raise prices for remaining suckers, um, customers, and
    just whore out their IP some more to rake in more money without spending more.

- Erik

First, I have to say I have not been here in a long time so this may be old news but IMHO, the single biggest thing GW has done is push the non-game content. Way back in the day (80's and 90's) there really wasn't any fiction outside the fluff in the
    rules. Once they decided to start pushing out books through the Black Library they solidified the background universe.

If they hook someone through the fiction, it is relatively easy for that person to jump into the games and understand who is who. Or, it was. I have not looked at WFB for years so I don't really know much about AOS but (again) in the past if you were to
    randomly pick up a William King book (Gotrek and Felix stories) you could easily make the jump to WFB and know the layout. The same goes for the 30K and 40K stories.

I started playing with Adeptus Titanic and Space Marine a very long time ago and we were starved for understanding the backstory. There were a few books around but GW had a tight fist on fiction and really never pushed the medium outside the games.

Of course, the downside is they started pimping high cost models through the fiction. So that didn't necessarily end well...

FWIW
    DLM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Insane Ranter@21:1/5 to rgmw.l...@googlemail.com on Mon Jan 11 19:47:48 2021
    Hi

Cheers
    Dave
    [Rgmw]largie

I couldn't have afforded 100 shares to avoid the broker fee for less than 100 shares or whatever nonsense that was...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05