• TECH: Bally -17 ERA Player 3 Display showing Credit/Ball in Play Data

From tacxboxflash@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 09:35:09 2022
    Hey all,

Taking a quick break from the cocaine and weed posts for some actual pinball discussion! ;)

Just resurrected a -17 MPU and have one last problem to track down.

Everything is working fine, but player 3 display is displaying the data identical to credit display. Somewhere the data lines are crossed, no obvious shorts on the board and the games main board does not exhibit this behavior.

I checked U20 for a short between pins 2 & 11 and no issues there. I can't read what type of chip this is, but the fact that it's socketed makes a swap an easy check. Also looks like the pad at pin 2 is gone, however continuity checks from the chip
    itself buzz out as good.

Any ideas on what to check next or what kind of chip that is?

Thanks all -

Pete

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to tacxbo...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 30 11:06:53 2022
    On 2022/06/30 9:35 a.m., tacxbo...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hey all,

Taking a quick break from the cocaine and weed posts for some actual pinball discussion! ;)

Everything is working fine, but player 3 display is displaying the data identical to credit display. Somewhere the data lines are crossed, no obvious shorts on the board and the games main board does not exhibit this behavior.

I checked U20 for a short between pins 2 & 11 and no issues there. I can't read what type of chip this is, but the fact that it's socketed makes a swap an easy check. Also looks like the pad at pin 2 is gone, however continuity checks from the chip
    itself buzz out as good.

Thanks all -

Pete

14502B or 4502B Hex buffer.

Download the schematics from IPDB.org

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tacxboxflash@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 21:10:13 2022
    Thanks John!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Grojohn@21:1/5 to tacxbo...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 2 05:19:13 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:35:19 AM UTC-5, tacxbo...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hey all,

itself buzz out as good.

Thanks all -

Pete
    Hello,

I would unplug the coin door, then power on. If problem goes away you have a short somewhere on coin door.

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05