• Molex Connector Kits

From Dave@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 12:32:13 2022
    Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in
    my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes.
    Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Dave on Mon May 2 13:17:52 2022
    On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
    Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors
    in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes.
    Thanks.

Great Plains Electronics can throw something together if Ed is active.
    His day job sometimes distracts him from the web site.

I would recommend you get the crimper, and 100 or so of the trifurcon
    .156 wipers, and then an assortment of male and female connectors that
    match your game's needs. 11 pin connectors tend to be the ones that burn
    out on lamp circuits for example...

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Unfortunately it appears that US Post is not accepting shipments to AU
    or NZ - not sure what gives there. Canada Post does accept shipments,
    but surface takes upwards of three months......

I do sell Molex pins, etc. but not as cheap as Ed at GPE does.

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul@21:1/5 to Dave on Mon May 2 21:54:30 2022
    On 5/2/2022 3:32 PM, Dave wrote:
    Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors
    in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes.
    Thanks.

I too recommend GPE. Ed is a great guy and its hard to beat his prices.
    Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Tue May 3 12:10:37 2022
    On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 6:18:06 AM UTC+10, John Robertson wrote:
    Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the
    connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range
    of sizes. Thanks.

John :-#)#

--

Thanks John and Paul. Appreciate the info. Cheers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Gersic@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Mon May 23 02:41:19 2022
    On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote:
    Thanks.

USPS is not sending anything to Australia. The stated reason is Australian import restrictions due to covid 19. I just went 'round and 'round this
    not too long ago with somebody.

You can ship to Australia via UPS, FedEx, or DHL. The price, however, is
    just shy of absolutely ridiculous. The parts I sent fit in a small box
    (1.5" x 4" x 8"). DHL was least expensive, at about $450 (not a typo).

There has to be a place in Australia that sells basic electronics parts.

--
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door. |
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to David Gersic on Mon May 23 13:32:07 2022
    On 2022/05/22 7:41 p.m., David Gersic wrote:
    On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote:
    Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the
    connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range
    of sizes. Thanks.

USPS is not sending anything to Australia. The stated reason is Australian import restrictions due to covid 19. I just went 'round and 'round this

There has to be a place in Australia that sells basic electronics parts.

We can ship to Australia using Canada Post, it just time to arrive.
    Interesting that USPS still doesn't accept shipments to AU.

We had a problem with one customer in AU, he bought an old NOS Gottlieb
    9 position drop target lift bar (no longer available anywhere) and had
    it shipped tracked surface post - ETA 2 to 3 months.

After just over 2 months he complained to PayPal that it was taking too
    long to arrive and even though I showed PP the shipping receipt, and the
    link showing the part was in transit PP refunded the purchase price
    ($75USD) and shipping costs ($75USD) to customer.

Customer receives goods the following Saturday - within the ETA. ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival, not iron-clad guarantee!

Customer ignored email asking for payment

Sent customer a PP invoice for the part and shipping.

A couple of weeks later customer paid JUST the part price ($75USD), and
    ignored the shipping.

Customer is now cut off from my store.

He was a repeat customer too. Too bad, if he needs anything from us in
    the future.

John :-#(#
    --
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to David Gersic on Tue May 24 16:06:50 2022
    David Gersic <usenet_spam_trap@zaccaria-pinball.com> writes:
    On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote: >> On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
    of sizes. Thanks.

USPS is not sending anything to Australia. The stated reason is Australian >import restrictions due to covid 19. I just went 'round and 'round this

You basically have two choices. Air or Water. International pax flights
    to oz were basically non-existant, and those carriers handle a large fraction of the air freight to/from oz. Limited supply increases costs.

Water is the other choice, and with the transport costs per-container-equivalent
    increasing ten-fold in the last couple of years (from $2k to $2kUSD per container),
    that form of shipping (where timeliness isn't necessary) has become
    expensive as well.

One of the costs of living on a rather isolated island.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dflrm@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 24 16:33:16 2022
    Unless you have tons of money waist on shipping and you really want to wait a long time for international shipping buy the parts in Australia. I realize it’s a pain to identify the connectors but you will be happier if you do. Sit down with your
    manual and identify which connectors you think you are going to need to replace and make a list. The connectors are about $1 AUD a piece for the housings and the pins are way cheaper. Make sure you also get replacement headers for the GI on the circuit
    board. The connectors, header, and pins your going to need are most likely from the Molex KK 396 series you can get them from Mouser or Digikey in Australia.
    https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/09-50-7121?qs=53in8j6h7oSro2ycsylkXA%3D%3D
    https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/molex/0009507121/1090452?s=N4IgTCBcDaIAwE4CscDsBGM6QF0C%2BQA

Here in the US I buy more often from Mouser then Digikey. Oh when your ordering the pins buy more then you need. It’s always good to have some on hand and they are dirt cheap especially in comparison to the shipping. If you don’t have a good set
    of crimpers you should definitely get one. Just in case you have problems looking up the part numbers here is the Molex site.
    https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/kk_396?parentKey=kk_interconnect_solutions

I hope this helps

Daniel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave@21:1/5 to Dflrm on Thu May 26 13:01:19 2022
    On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 9:33:22 AM UTC+10, Dflrm wrote:
    Unless you have tons of money waist on shipping and you really want to wait a long time for international shipping buy the parts in Australia. I realize it’s a pain to identify the connectors but you will be happier if you do. Sit down with your
    manual and identify which connectors you think you are going to need to replace and make a list. The connectors are about $1 AUD a piece for the housings and the pins are way cheaper. Make sure you also get replacement headers for the GI on the circuit
    board. The connectors, header, and pins your going to need are most likely from the Molex KK 396 series you can get them from Mouser or Digikey in Australia.
    https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/09-50-7121?qs=53in8j6h7oSro2ycsylkXA%3D%3D
    https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/molex/0009507121/1090452?s=N4IgTCBcDaIAwE4CscDsBGM6QF0C%2BQA

Here in the US I buy more often from Mouser then Digikey. Oh when your ordering the pins buy more then you need. It’s always good to have some on hand and they are dirt cheap especially in comparison to the shipping. If you don’t have a good set of
    crimpers you should definitely get one. Just in case you have problems looking up the part numbers here is the Molex site.
    https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/kk_396?parentKey=kk_interconnect_solutions

I hope this helps

Daniel

Thanks for the advice Daniel. Appreciate it. Being very lazy I know and was wondering whether some kind of kit with a range of sizes were available - kinda like a rubber kit I had in mind. But agree, best to identify what I may need and then go from
    there.

I have changed the odd molex connector in my time under the playfield, but don't really have the proper tools so this has been one part of my IJ I have not done too much. So was thinking maybe as preventative maintenance look to replace all connectors in
    the backbox. Then again, if it aint broke...

Thanks again,

Cheers. David.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dflrm@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 26 14:18:11 2022
    If your lazy I guess that means I’m lazy too. I was hoping for a kit years ago when I needed a few connectors. I ended up buying one of every connector in the machine since at the time they were only about $0.50 or less. I knew I was going to need
    to replace a few but I had no clue which ones yet and it was just cheaper to order them all while I was ordering parts for another game then it would have been to order them later. Whatever you do only change them one at a time and at the very least
    play a few games before you change another connector. Unless you have a very compelling reason to I would only change what you need to change. The connectors in the back box are the punch the wire down style from the factory which sucks. You have to
    literally cut the wire in the middle of the connector and strip both ends a crimp both of them into one pin or with the heavier wires solder them both on to one wire and crimp that one wire into the pin. I will not say it is difficult but it is a royal
    pain so I agree if it’s not broke don’t fix it.
    Happy Tinkering
    Daniel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05