• TECH: Data East Jurassic Park DMD dead

From powesmith@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 29 05:16:50 2021
    Could really use some help on this. Been having issue with the DMD for a while, one day turned the machine on and DMD was totally dead. The power supply board was rebuilt, all voltages are were they suppose to be. I was able to get it working a couple
    of times by unplugging 5VDC and other connectors. The interesting thing is, once I get it to work, It will be working for as long as I turn the machine on once a day. If I let it sit for a week without turning it on, it goes dead. Last time I was able
    to see it coming to life for a split second and then it went dead again. I didn't replace the ribbon cable, but I did flip it on both ends, no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My next step is to get the replacement, but I don't want to
    just through $$ away. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to powesmith on Tue Jun 29 09:07:38 2021
    On 2021/06/29 5:16 a.m., powesmith wrote:
    Could really use some help on this. Been having issue with the DMD for a while, one day turned the machine on and DMD was totally dead. The power supply board was rebuilt, all voltages are were they suppose to be. I was able to get it working a couple
    of times by unplugging 5VDC and other connectors. The interesting thing is, once I get it to work, It will be working for as long as I turn the machine on once a day. If I let it sit for a week without turning it on, it goes dead. Last time I was able
    to see it coming to life for a split second and then it went dead again. I didn't replace the ribbon cable, but I did flip it on both ends, no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My next step is to get the replacement, but I don't want to

Based on your description I'd be checking the /Reset (Reset Low) signal
    to the CPU on the Display Controller Board at this point.

That signal should be Low for about 500msec after the power is turned
    on, then goes High - which is close to Vcc or 5.00VDC.

If the above means nothing to you see if one of your firends knows
    enough about electronics to read a schematic and be able to test the
    board...

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From powesmith@21:1/5 to powesmith on Tue Jun 29 10:02:43 2021
    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 12:25:07 PM UTC-4, powesmith wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 12:07:51 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
    Could really use some help on this. Been having issue with the DMD for a while, one day turned the machine on and DMD was totally dead. The power supply board was rebuilt, all voltages are were they suppose to be. I was able to get it working a
    couple of times by unplugging 5VDC and other connectors. The interesting thing is, once I get it to work, It will be working for as long as I turn the machine on once a day. If I let it sit for a week without turning it on, it goes dead. Last time I was
    able to see it coming to life for a split second and then it went dead again. I didn't replace the ribbon cable, but I did flip it on both ends, no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My next step is to get the replacement, but I don't want to

enough about electronics to read a schematic and be able to test the board...

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Thank you for the reply, will try to locate based on the schematics, will report back.
    ok, so based on the schematic, CN3-20 is reset which reads at 70mV, CN3-20 is STB which reads at 5VDC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From powesmith@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Tue Jun 29 09:25:02 2021
    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 12:07:51 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
    Could really use some help on this. Been having issue with the DMD for a while, one day turned the machine on and DMD was totally dead. The power supply board was rebuilt, all voltages are were they suppose to be. I was able to get it working a
    couple of times by unplugging 5VDC and other connectors. The interesting thing is, once I get it to work, It will be working for as long as I turn the machine on once a day. If I let it sit for a week without turning it on, it goes dead. Last time I was
    able to see it coming to life for a split second and then it went dead again. I didn't replace the ribbon cable, but I did flip it on both ends, no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My next step is to get the replacement, but I don't want to

enough about electronics to read a schematic and be able to test the board...

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Thank you for the reply, will try to locate based on the schematics, will report back.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05