• Bad Cats animation and flasher problem

From Stan Miczek@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 29 08:41:02 2021
    Hey all, long time since I've been here!
    I have a nice Williams Bad Cats that I've been getting back to shape. It hadn't been played for a few years. The good part is everything worked but I anticipated the odd thing going down once I played her for a bit.
    SO, after a few fun games etc the other day I smelled that burning circuit smell.
    I then noticed the four backbox BAD CATS flashers were stuck ON and bright.
    So I followed the wires and took the 5A fuse out at F1 on the Aux Power supply board. That way the flashers are off for the time being...just those 4, and I can still play the game. I thought Id replace BR1 but it didnt do the trick.
    THEN I also noticed the animation had stopped working. I suspect they're on the same circuit and stopped functioning because I removed F1. (Aux psb)
    I suppose I COULD just remove those flashers so I could coil test and see if the animation works still.
    But my main question is, where should I be looking to trace what I need to replace so those 4 flashers arent stuck ON?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Stan Miczek on Wed Dec 29 09:30:59 2021
    On 2021/12/29 8:41 a.m., Stan Miczek wrote:
    I have a nice Williams Bad Cats that I've been getting back to shape. It hadn't been played for a few years. The good part is everything worked but I anticipated the odd thing going down once I played her for a bit.
    SO, after a few fun games etc the other day I smelled that burning circuit smell.
    I then noticed the four backbox BAD CATS flashers were stuck ON and bright. So I followed the wires and took the 5A fuse out at F1 on the Aux Power supply board. That way the flashers are off for the time being...just those 4, and I can still play the game. I thought Id replace BR1 but it didnt do the trick.
    THEN I also noticed the animation had stopped working. I suspect they're on the same circuit and stopped functioning because I removed F1. (Aux psb)
    I suppose I COULD just remove those flashers so I could coil test and see if the animation works still.
    But my main question is, where should I be looking to trace what I need to replace so those 4 flashers arent stuck ON?

Hi Stan,

Just passing by and noticed your post - I can offer you this suggestion
    - check that all the grounds in the circuit related to the flashers and
    their drive transistors are in good condition. I find bad grounds lead
    to more meltdowns of coils or lamp plastics than most other causes.

Sorry, gotta get back to work now!

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stan Miczek@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Thu Dec 30 08:45:50 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
    I then noticed the four backbox BAD CATS flashers were stuck ON and bright. So I followed the wires and took the 5A fuse out at F1 on the Aux Power supply board. That way the flashers are off for the time being...just those 4, and I can still play the game. I thought Id replace BR1 but it didnt do the trick.

Hi Stan,

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

Follow up...
    Can I use a TIP 122 in place of the 9410?
    Or is the 9410 more robust and therefore should be used for those flashers?
    I havw 122s here but Id have to go and get some 9410s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stan Miczek@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Thu Dec 30 08:44:21 2021

Hi Stan,

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    thank you John!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stan Miczek@21:1/5 to Stan Miczek on Thu Dec 30 08:47:31 2021
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 11:45:55 AM UTC-5, Stan Miczek wrote:
    So I followed the wires and took the 5A fuse out at F1 on the Aux Power supply board. That way the flashers are off for the time being...just those 4, and I can still play the game. I thought Id replace BR1 but it didnt do the trick.

Hi Stan,

- check that all the grounds in the circuit related to the flashers and their drive transistors are in good condition. I find bad grounds lead

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Follow up...

Also I guess I just want to see if replacing the transistor does the trick before I have to go get supplies to replace all in that chain

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stan Miczek@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Thu Dec 30 10:56:49 2021
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:47:50 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
    On 2021/12/30 8:47 a.m., Stan Miczek wrote:

Hi Stan,

Just passing by and noticed your post - I can offer you this suggestion >>> - check that all the grounds in the circuit related to the flashers and >>> their drive transistors are in good condition. I find bad grounds lead >>> to more meltdowns of coils or lamp plastics than most other causes.

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Follow up...

Also I guess I just want to see if replacing the transistor does the trick before I have to go get supplies to replace all in that chain
    On the System 11 main board the Lamp Returns and Solenoid Driver
    transistors are all TIP122.

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

Is that to say I can use TIP 122s here John? The entire solenoid section is all 9410s on this system 11B CPU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Stan Miczek on Thu Dec 30 10:47:36 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote: >>> On 2021/12/29 8:41 a.m., Stan Miczek wrote:

Hi Stan,

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Follow up...
    Or is the 9410 more robust and therefore should be used for those flashers? >> I havw 122s here but Id have to go and get some 9410s

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stan Miczek@21:1/5 to Stan Miczek on Thu Dec 30 11:29:08 2021
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:56:53 PM UTC-5, Stan Miczek wrote:

Hi Stan,

their drive transistors are in good condition. I find bad grounds lead >>> to more meltdowns of coils or lamp plastics than most other causes. >>>

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Follow up...

On the System 11 main board the Lamp Returns and Solenoid Driver transistors are all TIP122.

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Is that to say I can use TIP 122s here John? The entire solenoid section is all 9410s on this system 11B CPU

Well I put in the TIP 122 and everything works and tests. I guess I'll be keeping my eye on that area. Looks like the TIP was already replaced once. There's a couple resistor networks and a 7408 in that line. If they were fried this wouldn't work
    properly I have to think . But something is taking that TIP out.
    Thanks John for your always very helpful and concise advice!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Stan Miczek on Thu Dec 30 12:29:30 2021
    On 2021/12/30 10:56 a.m., Stan Miczek wrote:
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 11:45:55 AM UTC-5, Stan Miczek wrote: >>>> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:

Hi Stan,

Just passing by and noticed your post - I can offer you this suggestion >>>>> - check that all the grounds in the circuit related to the flashers and >>>>> their drive transistors are in good condition. I find bad grounds lead >>>>> to more meltdowns of coils or lamp plastics than most other causes.

Follow up...

--

9410 sounds like either a "House Number" or more likely a "Date Code"
    (1994, 10th week). The schematics show TIP122s...

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Stan Miczek on Thu Dec 30 12:31:35 2021
    On 2021/12/30 11:29 a.m., Stan Miczek wrote:
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:56:53 PM UTC-5, Stan Miczek wrote:
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:47:50 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote: >>> On 2021/12/30 8:47 a.m., Stan Miczek wrote:
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 11:45:55 AM UTC-5, Stan Miczek wrote: >>>>> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:

Hi Stan,

Just passing by and noticed your post - I can offer you this suggestion >>>>>> - check that all the grounds in the circuit related to the flashers and >>>>>> their drive transistors are in good condition. I find bad grounds lead >>>>>> to more meltdowns of coils or lamp plastics than most other causes. >>>>>>

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Follow up...

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

Well I put in the TIP 122 and everything works and tests. I guess I'll be keeping my eye on that area. Looks like the TIP was already replaced once. There's a couple resistor networks and a 7408 in that line. If they were fried this wouldn't work
    properly I have to think . But something is taking that TIP out.
    Thanks John for your always very helpful and concise advice!

I'd tend to replace the 1N4004/.../1N4007 diode on the coil driven by
    that transistor. It may be open or intermittent. Unless you also
    replaced the coil at the same time.

Make sure the Solenoid fuse is the correct 2-1/2A slo-Blo rating!

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05