• Tech help: Chicago Triple Play start up.

From mylesrmeyer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 8 19:52:48 2021
    Sometimes when I turn on the Triple Play, Premiere system 80B, the Game over Relay and the Tilt Relay will just engage and disengage over and over again. Will not stop clicking on and off.

I was poking around and really hadn't done anything yet while it was turned off. Looking for loose or shorted things. Didn't find anything so I turned it back on and then it worked just fine.

Two days later it is doing this clicking again.

I got the schematic and was hoping for a flowchart of some tests but it doesn't have what I think I am looking for.

Anyone seen this? I will post more if I find out any other things.

Thanks

Myles

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to myles...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 9 08:22:48 2021
    On 2021/10/08 7:52 p.m., myles...@gmail.com wrote:
    Sometimes when I turn on the Triple Play, Premiere system 80B, the Game over Relay and the Tilt Relay will just engage and disengage over and over again. Will not stop clicking on and off.

I was poking around and really hadn't done anything yet while it was turned off. Looking for loose or shorted things. Didn't find anything so I turned it back on and then it worked just fine.

I got the schematic and was hoping for a flowchart of some tests but it doesn't have what I think I am looking for.

Thanks

Myles

Hi Myles,

First, check the power supply voltage to the game MPU (CPU) when this is happening. It should be 5.00VDC at the filter capacitor right beside the
    power connector to the main board.

You should also do the ground upgrades for the series 80 games as shown
    here - this might also help this problem.

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=10398&search=61070

Let us know how it goes!

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mylesrmeyer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 9 11:03:53 2021

Thanks

Myles

Hi Myles,

First, check the power supply voltage to the game MPU (CPU) when this is happening. It should be 5.00VDC at the filter capacitor right beside the power connector to the main board.

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=10398&search=61070

Let us know how it goes!

You sent me a link to Remote Power Kit for OMT or Princess Amp. For Jukeboxes?

Myles

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to myles...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 9 15:33:27 2021
    On 2021/10/09 11:03 a.m., myles...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks

Myles

Hi Myles,

First, check the power supply voltage to the game MPU (CPU) when this is
    happening. It should be 5.00VDC at the filter capacitor right beside the
    power connector to the main board.

Let us know how it goes!

You sent me a link to Remote Power Kit for OMT or Princess Amp. For Jukeboxes?

Myles

ARGGGGHHH!

Try this...

https://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

That was a link from a previous question on jukeboxes. Sorry about that!

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mylesrmeyer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 9 21:13:32 2021
    Thank you, I figured that happened and I just Googled what you said.

This seems like a lot of work but well worth it in the long run.

Myles

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gott Lieb?@21:1/5 to myles...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 10 07:26:41 2021
    On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 10:52:54 PM UTC-4, myles...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks

Myles
    FWIW, System 80 games, and I believe System 80A games, would turn the tilt relay on and off when the game rom was not present or bad. I know with 80Bs, the game will tell you when one of the game roms is missing, but not certain what it does when the
    other is gone. With Cubs, there is only one game rom. I would suspect that the daughter board, which the rom sits on, is not passing all signals back and forth between it and the MPU board. The daughter boards are a very common problem. I would
    highly suggest that you send the board out to a pro to straighten out the daughter board. If not done properly, one can totally trash the board.

Jim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 10 23:53:14 2021
    On 2021/10/10 7:26 a.m., Gott Lieb? wrote:

Thanks

Myles
    FWIW, System 80 games, and I believe System 80A games, would turn the tilt relay on and off when the game rom was not present or bad. I know with 80Bs, the game will tell you when one of the game roms is missing, but not certain what it does when the
    other is gone. With Cubs, there is only one game rom. I would suspect that the daughter board, which the rom sits on, is not passing all signals back and forth between it and the MPU board. The daughter boards are a very common problem. I would
    highly suggest that you send the board out to a pro to straighten out the daughter board. If not done properly, one can totally trash the board.

Jim

Hi Jim,

That is very interesting, I hadn't noticed that before - but then I
    can't recall seeing a game come in with a bad Game ROM. If that is
    actually the case for 80/80A games then it is a quick test to see if the
    game MPU is working, simply remove the Game EPROM and look/listen for
    the TILT relay clicking endlessly!

Can't wait to test this at the shop on Tuesday...and will certainly add
    it to my bag of tricks!

Thanks,

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gott Lieb?@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Mon Oct 11 04:00:18 2021
    On Monday, October 11, 2021 at 2:53:24 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:

Thanks

Myles
    other is gone. With Cubs, there is only one game rom. I would suspect that the daughter board, which the rom sits on, is not passing all signals back and forth between it and the MPU board. The daughter boards are a very common problem. I would highly
    suggest that you send the board out to a pro to straighten out the daughter board. If not done properly, one can totally trash the board.

Jim

Hi Jim,

actually the case for 80/80A games then it is a quick test to see if the game MPU is working, simply remove the Game EPROM and look/listen for

it to my bag of tricks!

Thanks,

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

And not to get off of the original subject further, but you can still get into test mode on an 80 or 80A with no ROM present. You just need U2 and U3. I'm sure that you are already aware of this though.

All of this is valid, unless I'm thinking that an 80/80A does the same thing as a Sys1. The getting into test w/o a game ROM does definitely work.

Jim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 12 00:01:33 2021
    On 2021/10/11 4:00 a.m., Gott Lieb? wrote:
    On Monday, October 11, 2021 at 2:53:24 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
    On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 10:52:54 PM UTC-4, myles...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> Sometimes when I turn on the Triple Play, Premiere system 80B, the Game over Relay and the Tilt Relay will just engage and disengage over and over again. Will not stop clicking on and off.

Thanks

Myles
    other is gone. With Cubs, there is only one game rom. I would suspect that the daughter board, which the rom sits on, is not passing all signals back and forth between it and the MPU board. The daughter boards are a very common problem. I would highly
    suggest that you send the board out to a pro to straighten out the daughter board. If not done properly, one can totally trash the board.

Jim

Hi Jim,

actually the case for 80/80A games then it is a quick test to see if the
    game MPU is working, simply remove the Game EPROM and look/listen for

it to my bag of tricks!

Thanks,
    And not to get off of the original subject further, but you can still get into test mode on an 80 or 80A with no ROM present. You just need U2 and U3. I'm sure that you are already aware of this though.

All of this is valid, unless I'm thinking that an 80/80A does the same thing as a Sys1. The getting into test w/o a game ROM does definitely work.

Jim

Yeah, that one I know. The ticking Tilt I missed...

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mylesrmeyer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 16 16:54:21 2021
    Well way to go pinball group!!

It ended up being a cold solder joint on the 5V power supply board.

I have also made sure of the ground lines added. And I have double checked other things on that list of things to do.

Thank you all so much.

Myles

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05