• Re: Williams Grand prix schematic question

From pinworks@21:1/5 to pinworks on Sun Oct 3 09:44:21 2021
    On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 6:19:58 PM UTC-4, pinworks wrote:
    On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:29:45 AM UTC-4, Kerry Imming wrote:
    On 5/3/2021 5:33 AM, pinw...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:47:47 PM UTC-4, Mark wrote:
    On 5/2/21 5:33 PM, pinw...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    The coin relay is not pulling in.
    The schematic shows that the coin relay is connected to the black primary wire coming from the transformer. The coil is actually connected to a thick red wire.
    If you follow the black wire down the right side of the schematic, it >> goes through switches on the Game Over, Reset and Tilt relays before
    emerging as a Red wire, or the power rail that provides power to the
    playing part of the game. The black wire is more for parts of the game >> that have to be available between games (coining up, reset, etc.)

I can't explain how the Coin relay ended up on the wrong power rail, but
    I wonder if you removed the red wire from its coil solder lug and
    jumpered the black wire to the solder lug instead (as shown on the
    schematic) if it would start working.

As a sanity check you might want to verify the rest of the Coin relay >> circuit first by ohming out the path from the yellow wire power rail
    through the Score Motor Make/Break switch and Credit Unit EOS switch. >>
    /Mark
    Mark, I agree with your assessment. However, that does not explain how the start button was working at the start of my tests. I should have mentioned that. The Coin relay should not be connected to the red wire that only goes live when the game is
    not in Game Over mode. I did move any wires and it worked before. That is what has me so puzzled. I am hoping for corrected schematics or an explanation of what I am missing.
    As for the sanity check, I bypassed all the path from the yellow wire by jumpering from the EOS on the credit unit reset coil. I know it is connected to yellow because it holds the credit unit reset coil active until I do something to open the hold
    circuit.

Thank you for the reply.

Unless someone has a better idea, I am going to have to remove the wax thread bundling the red wire and trace it down. I find it hard to believe it is the same red wire that goes to the Game Over relay.

Pinworks

The schematics look correct. I have seen notations on some schematics
    that wire colors may have been substituted during manufacture.

Have you checked the other relay coils that should be on BLACK to see if they are also on this RED wire? It seems more likely that this RED wire might have been some previous repair, but surprising that is would be in the wiring bundle then.

- Kerry
    Kerry,
    It really looks like original wiring. The machine is not at my house and I did not check continuity from the Extra Ball relay red wire to the Coin relay red wire so I do not know they are the same. I was hoping someone had encountered this before. It
    does not appear so.

Thanks
    Pinworks
    Problem solved: The game had a birth defect. The coil labels for the three coils in the right far corner of the bottom of the cabinet were correct. Someone at the Williams factory put the same label for those three coils(one piece label) on the left
    edge center. So there were two coils labeled COIN. I happened to see the mislabeled relay first. The correct coil in the back left corner had the right color wire on it.
    I'd really like to be able to have a word with the person who inspected that game!
    I discovered the problem because I had worked on a Grand Prix the week before and the relay positions did not match what I had expected to find from previous work on the mis-labeled machine.
    I feel sure the incorrect label had been installed at the factory. It was fastened in place by the small staples that Williams used for that purpose. From now on, I will double check with the manual if one is available.

Thanks for all your efforts
    Pinworks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to pinworks on Sun Oct 3 15:35:30 2021
    On 2021/10/03 9:44 a.m., pinworks wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 6:19:58 PM UTC-4, pinworks wrote:
    On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:29:45 AM UTC-4, Kerry Imming wrote:
    On 5/3/2021 5:33 AM, pinw...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:47:47 PM UTC-4, Mark wrote:
    On 5/2/21 5:33 PM, pinw...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    The coin relay is not pulling in.
    The schematic shows that the coin relay is connected to the black primary wire coming from the transformer. The coil is actually connected to a thick red wire.
    If you follow the black wire down the right side of the schematic, it >>>>> goes through switches on the Game Over, Reset and Tilt relays before >>>>> emerging as a Red wire, or the power rail that provides power to the >>>>> playing part of the game. The black wire is more for parts of the game >>>>> that have to be available between games (coining up, reset, etc.)

I can't explain how the Coin relay ended up on the wrong power rail, but >>>>> I wonder if you removed the red wire from its coil solder lug and
    jumpered the black wire to the solder lug instead (as shown on the
    schematic) if it would start working.

As a sanity check you might want to verify the rest of the Coin relay >>>>> circuit first by ohming out the path from the yellow wire power rail >>>>> through the Score Motor Make/Break switch and Credit Unit EOS switch. >>>>>
    /Mark
    Mark, I agree with your assessment. However, that does not explain how the start button was working at the start of my tests. I should have mentioned that. The Coin relay should not be connected to the red wire that only goes live when the game is
    not in Game Over mode. I did move any wires and it worked before. That is what has me so puzzled. I am hoping for corrected schematics or an explanation of what I am missing.
    As for the sanity check, I bypassed all the path from the yellow wire by jumpering from the EOS on the credit unit reset coil. I know it is connected to yellow because it holds the credit unit reset coil active until I do something to open the hold
    circuit.

Thank you for the reply.

Unless someone has a better idea, I am going to have to remove the wax thread bundling the red wire and trace it down. I find it hard to believe it is the same red wire that goes to the Game Over relay.

Pinworks

The schematics look correct. I have seen notations on some schematics
    that wire colors may have been substituted during manufacture.

Have you checked the other relay coils that should be on BLACK to see if >>> they are also on this RED wire? It seems more likely that this RED wire
    might have been some previous repair, but surprising that is would be in >>> the wiring bundle then.

- Kerry
    Kerry,
    It really looks like original wiring. The machine is not at my house and I did not check continuity from the Extra Ball relay red wire to the Coin relay red wire so I do not know they are the same. I was hoping someone had encountered this before. It
    does not appear so.

Thanks
    Pinworks
    Problem solved: The game had a birth defect. The coil labels for the three coils in the right far corner of the bottom of the cabinet were correct. Someone at the Williams factory put the same label for those three coils(one piece label) on the
    left edge center. So there were two coils labeled COIN. I happened to see the mislabeled relay first. The correct coil in the back left corner had the right color wire on it.
    I'd really like to be able to have a word with the person who inspected that game!
    I discovered the problem because I had worked on a Grand Prix the week before and the relay positions did not match what I had expected to find from previous work on the mis-labeled machine.
    I feel sure the incorrect label had been installed at the factory. It was fastened in place by the small staples that Williams used for that purpose. From now on, I will double check with the manual if one is available.

Thanks for all your efforts
    Pinworks

Factory manuals aren't perfect either! High Speed manual doesn't both to
    show you have the Special Solenoids get their power - turns out to be F4
    and that a pin shown as grounded on the supply actually is the power
    connection for that fused output.

I'm sure it has been caught before, but I'm updating my schematics and
    will send a modified book to IPDB so they can add it to the site. This
    is lightly mentioned in the amendments PDF on IPDB.

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)