• Q: Thinning Super Glue -- what to use?

From Mal Mcauliffe@21:1/5 to rickca...@sportvision.com on Mon Jun 14 00:05:37 2021
    On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 5:58:27 AM UTC+10, rickca...@sportvision.com wrote:
    I'm about to try thinning my thick super-glue by adding some super thin super-glue. With any luck this will save a fairly big bottle of thick super-glue that's getting way too thick.

--
    The information transmitted in this e-mail and/or attachments is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
    contain confidential and/or privileged material that may not be shared.
    This information and all attachments are for use only by the intended recipient. To the extent that the information contained in this e-mail or
    any attachment is proprietary, copyrighted, patented or trademarked, all rights are reserved. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or
    entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete
    and/or destroy all copies of the material.
    did it work @rickca...@sportvision.com ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kenneth Vaughan@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 19 21:35:13 2021
    acetone will NOT thin super-glue! In fact, quite the opposite… it “gels” it, and what results might be a good adhesive/gap sealer; but it might be worthless - I don’t know, I threw it away as a failed experiment.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KJMain@21:1/5 to Kenneth Vaughan on Sun Nov 28 10:13:46 2021
    On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 12:35:18 AM UTC-4, Kenneth Vaughan wrote:
    acetone will NOT thin super-glue! In fact, quite the opposite… it “gels” it, and what results might be a good adhesive/gap sealer; but it might be worthless - I don’t know, I threw it away as a failed experiment.

Acetone will thin superglue. just make sure it is an unopened bottle and 100% pure. If there is any moisture present it will gel the superglue.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kim Lim@21:1/5 to KJMain on Fri Oct 7 06:39:20 2022
    On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:43:51 AM UTC+10:30, KJMain wrote:
    On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 12:35:18 AM UTC-4, Kenneth Vaughan wrote:
    Acetone will thin superglue. just make sure it is an unopened bottle and 100% pure. If there is any moisture present it will gel the superglue.
    I can attest to the fact that acetone does thin super-glue. I had a container of super-glue gel that was about 2 years old. I have applied that to fill the larger cracks in the timber I used for turning. I was about to throw that away as the gel had
    become too thick for effective application. I was encouraged to add acetone to the very thick super-glue gel after reading KJMain's response. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised that the consistency of the super-glue thinned out sufficiently
    to flow into the timber cracks and shakes. For me, the acetone has restored the super-glue gel to the extent that I could use it as effectively as if it was a new supply.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miriam wolfe@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 21 10:16:52 2023
    On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 2:03:49 AM UTC-4, The_Black_Knight wrote:
    I'm about to try thinning my thick super-glue by adding some super thin super-glue. With any luck this will save a fairly big bottle of thick super-glue that's getting way too thick.
    Thinning thick super glue or I have to assume you are referring to the family of glues under Cyanoacrylates is wasteful actually REDUCES bond strength.

"Mixing and matching" glues is also a bad idea because of the changes in chemicals that are used in different types of glues, which can cause discoloration.

Many times thick glue means the glue has aged or simply cheap.

Go buy a new bottle of Loctite 20G SG Professional and throw the old bottle out.
    Don't be cheap, or you get cheap results.
    A $6 bottle of loctite even with a lot of repairs lasts months.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05