• Gottlieb gravity plunger relay

From integ194@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 18 15:48:06 2021
    Would appreciate if someone could let me know the typical function of the gravity plunger relay in Gottlieb early flipperless machines. I am restoring a 1946 GTB Superliner (unable to acquire schematic) and not been able to work out the role of this
    relay. Thanks Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 18 16:32:39 2021
    On 2021/09/18 3:48 p.m., integ194 wrote:
    Would appreciate if someone could let me know the typical function of the gravity plunger relay in Gottlieb early flipperless machines. I am restoring a 1946 GTB Superliner (unable to acquire schematic) and not been able to work out the role of this
    relay. Thanks Wayne

You have tried Steve Young at The Pinball Resource? I don't have that
    schematic and am not familiar with that feature I'm afraid...

Otherwise (if you want to try) you wouldn't be the first person to draw
    up a schematic of a game without one.

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From integ194@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Mon Sep 20 15:33:07 2021
    On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 9:32:57 AM UTC+10, John Robertson wrote:
    On 2021/09/18 3:48 p.m., integ194 wrote:
    relay. Thanks Wayne

You have tried Steve Young at The Pinball Resource? I don't have that schematic and am not familiar with that feature I'm afraid...

Otherwise (if you want to try) you wouldn't be the first person to draw
    up a schematic of a game without one.

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    Thanks John. PBR do not have the schematic.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Terry Cumming@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 21 08:27:58 2021
    On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 6:48:11 PM UTC-4, integ194 wrote:
    relay. Thanks Wayne
    Maybe you mean the "slo-drop" delay unit? From my notes it provides timing functions. Later this was handled by the control motor. The time it takes to actuate coincides with the time it takes some other coil to fire for example. The slo-drop switches
    would be tied in with the other coil. Think in terms of the motor switches on later EMs that pulse in order to control some other coils.

Terry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Terry Cumming on Tue Sep 21 12:34:16 2021
    On 2021/09/21 8:27 a.m., Terry Cumming wrote:
    relay. Thanks Wayne
    Maybe you mean the "slo-drop" delay unit? From my notes it provides timing functions. Later this was handled by the control motor. The time it takes to actuate coincides with the time it takes some other coil to fire for example. The slo-drop switches
    would be tied in with the other coil. Think in terms of the motor switches on later EMs that pulse in order to control some other coils.

Terry

Does that use an air shock absorber like some other 30s and 40s games? I
    find they usually need to be rebuilt with a fresh greased leather washer
    to restore the proper action.

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wayne Ruckley@21:1/5 to Terry Cumming on Tue Sep 21 15:37:08 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 1:28:03 AM UTC+10, Terry Cumming wrote:
    relay. Thanks Wayne

Terry
    Thanks Terry thats' very helpful info. Rgds Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wayne Ruckley@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Tue Sep 21 15:40:04 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 5:34:27 AM UTC+10, John Robertson wrote:
    relay. Thanks Wayne
    Maybe you mean the "slo-drop" delay unit? From my notes it provides timing functions. Later this was handled by the control motor. The time it takes to actuate coincides with the time it takes some other coil to fire for example. The slo-drop
    switches would be tied in with the other coil. Think in terms of the motor switches on later EMs that pulse in order to control some other coils.

Terry

Does that use an air shock absorber like some other 30s and 40s games? I find they usually need to be rebuilt with a fresh greased leather washer

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com
    The machine John has a damper at the base of the reset/coin slide mechanism to pump the slide return and it is working fine. I have found similar dampers on many trade stimulators of the era. Rgds Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Wayne Ruckley on Tue Sep 21 17:02:36 2021
    On 2021/09/21 3:40 p.m., Wayne Ruckley wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 5:34:27 AM UTC+10, John Robertson wrote:
    relay. Thanks Wayne
    Maybe you mean the "slo-drop" delay unit? From my notes it provides timing functions. Later this was handled by the control motor. The time it takes to actuate coincides with the time it takes some other coil to fire for example. The slo-drop
    switches would be tied in with the other coil. Think in terms of the motor switches on later EMs that pulse in order to control some other coils.

Terry

Does that use an air shock absorber like some other 30s and 40s games? I
    find they usually need to be rebuilt with a fresh greased leather washer

The machine John has a damper at the base of the reset/coin slide mechanism to pump the slide return and it is working fine. I have found similar dampers on many trade stimulators of the era. Rgds Wayne

May I suggest you take some photos of the mechanics of the game and send
    off to IPDB.org? Some of these assemblies are quite interesting!

--
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    www.flippers.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05