• Lost Heir card game

From ellenabernethy@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John McLeod on Sat Dec 24 06:15:26 2016
    On Thursday, December 2, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, John McLeod wrote:
    thatmarkguy@my-deja.com wrote:
    I just picked up a clearance-priced trick-taking game entitled "Lost
    Heir" from Canada Games Company Limited. It could be a decent game,
    but there are a lot of contradictions and ambiguities in the
    instruction leaflet.

While this version of the game has a silly 'Canadian cities and their
    law enforcement groups' theme tacked on, the game probably exists in
    some other form as published in another country.

From your description, this looks to me like a commercial version of the traditional Canadian card game Kaiser. You can find rules for Kaiser
    played with ordinary cards on my web site at http://www,pagat.com/pointtrk/kaiser.html
    and also a link to a computer version of it.

This may help you to judge what rules were intended in the commercial
    game that you have.
    --
    John McLeod For information on card games visit john@pagat.demon.co.uk http://www.pagat.com/

Hi John
    I was taught to play Lost Heir by my grandparents when I was young - probably about 50 years ago - it's an old game and is a. It was always a family favourite - and I can help you with these rules.
    First question - the Wrong Boy belongs to the blue suit of Toronto, and the Lost Heir belongs to the green suit of Winnipeg. The 'boy' cards are the lowest ranked cards in their suit, correlating to the blanks in the Halifax and Montreal suits. So when
    played as a lead, any other card of their suit will take the trick. NOW if they are trump, of course, they will take the trick - only if there is no other higher trump played by another player.
    For an un-trumped trick, the players must follow the suit of the person who's lead it is (ie the one who took the last trick). The one who plays the card with the highest number value gets the trick - and remember the 'boys' have the lowest value.

If you do not have any cards of the suit led, you can opt to trump or not to trump - it's up to you. (and that's a good time to give up the Bad boy if you have him in your hand!)

Have fun with your game!
    Ellen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From heyitsdj@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 28 08:11:33 2019
    One more thing about the game. If a blank is played on the good boy or bad boy, it negates their positive or negative effect.

Also, in the rules, it talks about the person who calls trump and wins the bid needing to lead with trump. We didn't play that way. The player who wins the bidding can lead anything they want.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mitchell Kelley@21:1/5 to heyi...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 16 14:21:36 2021
    On Thursday, 28 February 2019 at 11:11:34 UTC-5, heyi...@gmail.com wrote:
    One more thing about the game. If a blank is played on the good boy or bad boy, it negates their positive or negative effect.

Also, in the rules, it talks about the person who calls trump and wins the bid needing to lead with trump. We didn't play that way. The player who wins the bidding can lead anything they want.
    Does anyone know where I can get the game? I have been trying for weeks and can't find it anywhere

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D Gunby@21:1/5 to Mitchell Kelley on Wed Jul 28 08:23:17 2021
    On Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 5:21:37 PM UTC-4, Mitchell Kelley wrote:
    On Thursday, 28 February 2019 at 11:11:34 UTC-5, heyi...@gmail.com wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get the game? I have been trying for weeks and can't find it anywhere
    There are a few on eBay st this time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05