• Hate Your Neighbor

From chelseamatlock14@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 6 07:43:31 2015
    I play this game with my family all the time and have since I was little. The rules are as follows:
    -2 or as many decks of cards as you'd like.
    -7 cards to each player
    -Keep the rest of the cards in a pile and turn over top card as discard pile -Each player lays a cooresponding suit, number or face on the discard pile and that's the end of your turn.
    -If you don't have a card to put down, you have to draw a new card.

Jack- Change Suit
    Ace- Reverse rotation
    7- Skip next player
    Joker- Draw 7
    2- Draw 2

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From russell.nancy12@gmail.com@21:1/5 to chelseam...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 19 00:15:46 2017
    On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:43:33 AM UTC-7, chelseam...@gmail.com wrote:
    I play this game with my family all the time and have since I was little. The rules are as follows:
    -2 or as many decks of cards as you'd like.
    -7 cards to each player
    -Keep the rest of the cards in a pile and turn over top card as discard pile -Each player lays a cooresponding suit, number or face on the discard pile and that's the end of your turn.
    -If you don't have a card to put down, you have to draw a new card.

Jack- Change Suit
    Ace- Reverse rotation
    7- Skip next player
    Joker- Draw 7
    2- Draw 2

Also called Piss on Your Neighbor. I taught a group of Columbian, Portuguese, and German people how to play in the International HOstel in Santiago, Chile. We had SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From triplesea@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John on Fri Jul 3 19:02:48 2020
    On Sunday, July 1, 2001 at 10:35:44 PM UTC-5, John wrote:
    I recall a card game called "Hate Your Neighbor" which I used to play
    in the early 70's with people that I worked with. No one that i talk
    to today knows of this game. Does anyone play it and have the rules? I
    would like to learn it again.
    Thanks
    John

We play a game we call "Hell with your Neighbor". Deal seven cards to each player. Place one card face up, rest of the deck down. First player must follow suit of face up card. Or if, for example, a 7 is played any other 7 may be played changing suit.
    Also if a player plays a 2 the next player must pick up two cards, unless he has another 2 which means the next player picks up four cards, etc. Also a 7 skips the next player. A Jack is wild and when played the player who plays it names the suit.
    And finally an Ace played reverses direction of play. If a player is unable to play they must pick one card from deck, if it plays they can play it, otherwise they pass. First person out of cards in their hand gets zero points and the other players count
    up their points. Ace being one point, face cards being ten, all others face value. Game is over at 200 points. Any questions just holler.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From brad ellman@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 21 07:02:58 2020
    On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 7:02:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
    to today knows of this game. Does anyone play it and have the rules? I would like to learn it again.
    Thanks
    John
    We play a game we call "Hell with your Neighbor". Deal seven cards to each player. Place one card face up, rest of the deck down. First player must follow suit of face up card. Or if, for example, a 7 is played any other 7 may be played changing suit.
    Also if a player plays a 2 the next player must pick up two cards, unless he has another 2 which means the next player picks up four cards, etc. Also a 7 skips the next player. A Jack is wild and when played the player who plays it names the suit. And
    finally an Ace played reverses direction of play. If a player is unable to play they must pick one card from deck, if it plays they can play it, otherwise they pass. First person out of cards in their hand gets zero points and the other players count up
    their points. Ace being one point, face cards being ten, all others face value. Game is over at 200 points. Any questions just holler.

Could this be the same as "TO HECK WITH YOUR NEIGHBOR" ? We used to play it in the mid - late 70's as well. i was real young so i don't recall how to play it but the craziness of changing suit, pick 7 cards...that sounds like it could possibly be the
    same game. i can't find anything online about TO HECK WITH YOUR NEIGHBOR....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Schilling@21:1/5 to trip...@gmail.com on Sun Mar 13 11:34:32 2022
    On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 7:02:49 PM UTC-7, trip...@gmail.com wrote:
    to today knows of this game. Does anyone play it and have the rules? I would like to learn it again.
    Thanks
    John
    Also if a player plays a 2 the next player must pick up two cards, unless he has another 2 which means the next player picks up four cards, etc. Also a 7 skips the next player. A Jack is wild and when played the player who plays it names the suit. And
    finally an Ace played reverses direction of play. If a player is unable to play they must pick one card from deck, if it plays they can play it, otherwise they pass. First person out of cards in their hand gets zero points and the other players count up
    their points. Ace being one point, face cards being ten, all others face value. Game is over at 200 points. Any questions just holler.

Our version is similar. It was called Dirty on your neighbor.
    Two decks
    Deal seven cards per person
    Turn one card face up next to stack. This is the beginning card

The Magic cards were:
    Jacks ~ are wild and can be played anytime except as a 2 - can declare a jack to be any suit.
    Aces ~ Change direction of play (clockwise or counter clockwise)
    Sevens ~ skip a person
    Twos ~ If a two is played, the next person must play a two or draw three cards. If they can play a two, the next person must play a two or draw six cards and so on. If a person can not play a two and draws there allotment of cards, the cycle is broken
    and no one else has to play a two and game play continues.

Last Card ~ When you are down to your last card, you must say aloud "1 card left" before the next person draws a card or you have to draw 4 cards.

First person out gets points from all other person's hand based on point value where Ace=1, face cards=10. and numbered cards are their respective face value. Winning the game is person that reaches a specific point amount preset before game begins.
    (Some versions do it where each person adds their remaining points to their own total and at the end of the game, lowest points wins)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wesley Clements@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 27 01:03:38 2022
    Try out https://heardlegame.io/ right away if you enjoy word games. With music, you can develop your brain in addition to relaxing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Upcame Hill@21:1/5 to Mike Schilling on Tue Aug 23 09:44:06 2022
    On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 1:34:33 PM UTC-5, Mike Schilling wrote:
    On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 7:02:49 PM UTC-7, trip...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks
    John
    Our version is similar. It was called Dirty on your neighbor.
    Two decks
    Deal seven cards per person
    Turn one card face up next to stack. This is the beginning card

The Magic cards were:
    Jacks ~ are wild and can be played anytime except as a 2 - can declare a jack to be any suit.
    Aces ~ Change direction of play (clockwise or counter clockwise)
    Sevens ~ skip a person
    Twos ~ If a two is played, the next person must play a two or draw three cards. If they can play a two, the next person must play a two or draw six cards and so on. If a person can not play a two and draws there allotment of cards, the cycle is broken
    and no one else has to play a two and game play continues.

Last Card ~ When you are down to your last card, you must say aloud "1 card left" before the next person draws a card or you have to draw 4 cards.

First person out gets points from all other person's hand based on point value where Ace=1, face cards=10. and numbered cards are their respective face value. Winning the game is person that reaches a specific point amount preset before game begins.
    (Some versions do it where each person adds their remaining points to their own total and at the end of the game, lowest points wins)

Believe it or not, it's been 21 years since I asked about this card game. Somehow I found this again. That is the game. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05