• Snowball (Level 9) Question (spoilers)

From Marcus Harvey@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 2 15:34:42 2016
    I'm once again re-playing Level 9's Snowball and I have a question that's really bothering me.

There's a section in the game with a bunch of rooms that are obviously holograms and I remembered there was a way to dismiss them with a wand. I couldn't find the wand for the life of me and getting impatient I decided to consult the official clue sheet
    now at http://ifarchive.jmac.org/if-archive/level9/hints/clue-sheets/Snowball.clues.

Here's the relevant clue sheet entries:

57. Holo-wand: where it is (243), details (273)

243. On the Silver Tray.

But this is not correct. The electro-flute is on the silver tray (dropped by a robot that you release earlier). Indeed looking at the clue sheet again we see:

43. Flute: where it is (243), details (312).

As you can see, 243 is the answer given for both the wand and the flute!

Despairing I turned to the (bare bones) walkthrough available at http://solutionarchive.com/file/id,702/ and other places. Here's what it says (I added room names):

DOWN (the Forest Glade is really a hologram!!)
    E (grey room, lit by flickering candles)
    E (solid black room filled with a glaring white light)
    IN
    TAKE WAND

Bather's the thing. There is NO "IN" direction given in the room description, which reads:

You are in a solid black room filled with a glaring white light. Despite the intensity of
    the illumination, you know it does not show everything clearly. Yet increasing the
    brightness would only dazzle. The only visible exit is west.

So my question is. How am I supposed to know to go IN (or DOWN also works) in that room to find the wand? Is there some way to suppress the glare? The dark glasses don't work for sure.

Anyone know?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From namekuseijin@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 11 10:27:12 2017
    Em sábado, 2 de julho de 2016 19:34:44 UTC-3, Marcus Harvey escreveu:
    Anyone know?

you're being serious in your assumption that there is any other human being out there playing a huge text maze from the 80s right now?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kmorger@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to namekuseijin on Mon Sep 11 13:10:29 2017
    On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 12:27:14 PM UTC-5, namekuseijin wrote:
    Anyone know?

you're being serious in your assumption that there is any other human being > out there playing a huge text maze from the 80s right now?

Well, I for one am still stuck in "a maze of twisty little passages, all alike".
    Yuppers, just me and the PDP. Well, and one hell of an electric bill...

Just kidding. Sorry, never played that one (or any from Level 9?). Loved the ones from "Legend Entertainment" (I'm a big fan of both Steve Meretzky and Pohl), and a lot of the newer games are quite good, and obviously Infocom.

In looking at the walk thru for Snowball, I think it'd drive me batty. :(

PRESS YELLOW BUTTON
    N (continue North and every time there is an exit DOWN, 'EXAMINE
    BRACELET' until the FOURTH colour on the bracelet is the SAME as the
    SECOND colour of the Frozen Crew Members code that you noted earlier.
    When the colour matches.........)
    DOWN (now proceed EAST until you reach an elevator, indicated by a
    button protruding from the floor)

Seriously, that game would be in the bin, and I'd make it a personal mission to punish the author. I'll never bitch about Babel Fish again!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From namekuseijin@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 12 09:56:26 2017
    Em segunda-feira, 11 de setembro de 2017 17:10:32 UTC-3, kmo...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 12:27:14 PM UTC-5, namekuseijin wrote:
    Anyone know?

you're being serious in your assumption that there is any other human being > out there playing a huge text maze from the 80s right now?

Well, I for one am still stuck in "a maze of twisty little passages, all alike".
    Yuppers, just me and the PDP. Well, and one hell of an electric bill...

Just kidding. Sorry, never played that one (or any from Level 9?). Loved the ones from "Legend Entertainment" (I'm a big fan of both Steve Meretzky and Pohl), and a lot of the newer games are quite good, and obviously Infocom.

Infocom was entirely another level next to the usual fare for the age. Even Zork is almost like a Shakespeare play next to the likes of Scott Adams and, yes, the huge mazes of Level-9. That's what they really are: a huge maze in text with very little
    plot of fun to keep going. Nice time waster back then, no fun at all today besides perhaps as a historical curiosity of weird hobbies back then...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05