• Tragic Tourist

From Chris Bowers@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 10:33:14 2022
    Completely tragic tourist that was petless. Argh!

Level 3 had an altar, and even petless, you can win just upon finding an altar. Especially since tourists start with significant food which allows a bit of camping.

Converted the altar which was next to a shop which had MORE food, which I could buy because tourists have money. First sacrifce gift was mojo! Now I was in a game winning position because my altar could test armor and I just slowly upgraded this guy by
    digging our vaults. I also found a bones file of an Arc which had a touchstone and that got me more money for donating as well as an EARLY luckstone. The early luckstone was fantastic because it allowed my hammer to hit more often. We were on easy street
    until I found a nest of cockatrices on level 21.

I was confident as I had mojo up to basic and had maxed my luck (and fixed it with the luckstone blessed).

However I stepped on a trap that caused me to fall asleep and that was game, the cockatrices just got too many attacks and too many turns elapsed.

I wouldn't classify this as a YASD, however this is definitely a case of SHPAI. Or "Should have played around it." I could have easily avoided the cockatrice lair until I had more intrinsics or a ridiculously high armor class (or an amulet of lifesaving!
    ). There was NO reason I had to fight them right then other than being greedy for treasure.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Janis Papanagnou@21:1/5 to Chris Bowers on Wed Dec 14 19:51:47 2022
    On 14.12.2022 19:33, Chris Bowers wrote:

[ snip details ]

However I stepped on a trap that caused me to fall asleep and that
    was game, the cockatrices just got too many attacks and too many
    turns elapsed.

This is the reason why I try to continuously re-estimate risks and
    options. The fact that lacking poison resistance (or sleep, as you
    experienced) can insta-kill you makes it worthwhile to consider
    getting crowned; which would be feasible for your game since you
    had an early altar to pray/reconcile until successful.

I wouldn't classify this as a YASD, however this is definitely a case
    of SHPAI. Or "Should have played around it." I could have easily
    avoided the cockatrice lair until I had more intrinsics or a
    ridiculously high armor class (or an amulet of lifesaving!). There
    was NO reason I had to fight them right then other than being greedy
    for treasure.

Or that, yes.

Janis

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Yosemite Sam@21:1/5 to magicby...@yahoo.com on Wed Jan 11 09:49:47 2023
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 12:33:17 PM UTC-6, magicby...@yahoo.com wrote:

Level 3 had an altar, and even petless, you can win just upon finding an altar. Especially since tourists start with significant food which allows a bit of camping.

Converted the altar which was next to a shop which had MORE food, which I could buy because tourists have money. First sacrifce gift was mojo! Now I was in a game winning position because my altar could test armor and I just slowly upgraded this guy by
    digging our vaults. I also found a bones file of an Arc which had a touchstone and that got me more money for donating as well as an EARLY luckstone. The early luckstone was fantastic because it allowed my hammer to hit more often. We were on easy street
    until I found a nest of cockatrices on level 21.

I was confident as I had mojo up to basic and had maxed my luck (and fixed it with the luckstone blessed).

However I stepped on a trap that caused me to fall asleep and that was game, the cockatrices just got too many attacks and too many turns elapsed.

I found one of these on level 18. I took it slowly, having read your account. I breathed a sigh of relief when the
    last cockatrice went down.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05