• Some orcs have all the luck

From Chris Bowers@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 3 12:07:03 2021
    Started an Orcish wizard. Dex 18, very nice for a wizard, my hits don't miss. Multiple scrolls of identify at start and on first level. Huge armor shop on level 3. Identify the lot, oilskin cloak, cloak of protection, leather armor +2, Corunthum and
    speed boots.

First two levels of gnomish mines are lit (again crazy luck) and minetown shop has cross aligned altar, but shop has holy water, and a magic lamp. Tool shop has blindfold, skeleton key and uncursed magic lamp.

Somehow I have 10 potions even though I've only visited 8 total levels. Dunno what the potions are. Don't care. Head topside and make holy water.

A wand I found is magic missile, the other is make invisible.

Rub magic lamp and wish for SDSM +1.

Level 4, ANOTHER huge armor shop, padded gloves. Find a mummy and zap self to make self invisible.

Now I have speed, reflection, magic resistance AC -3, str 25, Dex 18, a blessed bag of holding, blessed scrolls of identify, two more spellbooks are blessed (create monster and protection) and yes, I can STILL use my force bolt spell and protection spell
    (failure rate with GOP is only 15%). And invisible.

I haven't even been to Sokoban yet! Do I even need to go? I have reflection and a blessed bag of holding already!

But yes, I'll go to sokobon for food, wands and scrolls (especially earth).

Anyway, I think this is one of the best starts I've had in nethack history.

Now let's hope I don't die of starvation, food poisoning, or something stupid.

Some orcs have all the luck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John McCue@21:1/5 to Chris Bowers on Sun Oct 3 20:53:42 2021
    Chris Bowers <magicbymccauley@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Started an Orcish wizard. Dex 18, very nice for a wizard, my hits
    don't miss. Multiple scrolls of identify at start and on first level.
    Huge armor shop on level 3. Identify the lot, oilskin cloak, cloak of protection, leather armor +2, Corunthum and speed boots.

<snip>

Will be interested in how it goes :)
    Good Luck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Bowers@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 5 16:52:28 2021
    So found ANOTHER magic lamp. Didn't bother to bless it or rub it because I'm in absolutely no danger. Found a wand in Sokoban, engraved with it "What do you want to wish for?"

Ooooooooooooook

two blessed scrolls of charging
    Blessed spell book of identify
    Recharge
    Blessed amulet of lifesaving.

Identify revealed a ring of increase damage +2 and a ring of slow digestion, scrolls of enchant weapon and enchant armor. Altar on level 7. (by the way I have create monster, so getting an artifact weapon will be a breeze).

DO I EVEN NEED an artifact weapon? With GOP and expert in +1 quarterstaff on expert along with increase damage +2, I think I'm doing damage equivalent to an artifact weapon ANYWAY.

Three more wishes on the wand. I mean sheesh.

You know it would be NICE if this luck were SPREAD OUT over many games but of course the RNG puts ALL your luck in one game and deprives you of it in all others.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Bowers@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 6 14:02:28 2021
    I used another wish and got spellbook of magic mapping and started going deeper in the dungeon after sokobon. This got me lots of gold from vaults and protection from a co-aligned priest. Some wierd things are happening, so strange that I'm wondering
    what's going on with the RNG.

Weirdest thing so far is that when I got magicbane from a sacrifice, it was generated as +3. Never heard of that before. The priest I found in a temple on level 15 was generated with a chaotic altar and a co-aligned altar next to it in the same room.
    What a religiously tolerant priest????

Found a grave on level 20, dug it, there's another wand of wishing with two charges. It's cursed though... so there's that "bad" luck.

I forgot to go get the luckstone or do the rest of the gnomish mines because I wanted to get gold for protection, and no reason to turn back I'm so kitted out.

Now I'm going to go back to the gnomish mines with a magic lamp and magic mapping every level. Don't think I've EVER done that before.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05