• Re: Vancian Magic?!?

From Paul Tatro@21:1/5 to John Olsson on Fri Nov 10 14:12:27 2023
    Cheers!
    Xarfaggio's Physical Malepsy

School: Necromancy
    Level: 4
    Effect: This spell causes a debilitating malaise in a target creature, reducing its Strength and Dexterity by 2d4 for 1 hour. A successful Constitution saving throw halves the effect.
    Arnhoult's Sequestrious Digitalia

School: Conjuration
    Level: 3
    Effect: The caster temporarily gains control of a target's hands from a distance, able to manipulate objects or perform simple tasks. Lasts for 10 minutes or until concentration is broken.
    Lutar Brassnose's Twelve-fold Bounty

School: Transmutation
    Level: 5
    Effect: This spell multiplies any non-magical item the caster is holding by twelve. The duplicates last for 24 hours before vanishing.
    The Spell of Forlorn Encystment

School: Abjuration
    Level: 7
    Effect: Imprisons a target creature within an impenetrable sphere buried deep beneath the earth. The sphere is immune to all damage and spells. Lasts for 30 days or until dispelled.
    Finkler's Old-fashioned Froust

School: Evocation
    Level: 2
    Effect: Releases a burst of cold air that chills and slows enemies within a 20-foot radius. Affected creatures have their speed halved for 1 minute.
    Clambard's Rein of Long Nerves

School: Enchantment
    Effect: This spell heightens the caster's senses, granting advantage on Perception checks and immunity to being surprised for 8 hours.
    The Green and Purple Postponement of Joy

School: Illusion
    Effect: Creates an illusory, mesmerizing display that captivates all who see it, causing them to lose their next action in awe.
    Panguire's Triumphs of Discomfort

Level: 1
    Effect: Causes a target creature to feel extreme discomfort, imposing disadvantage on concentration checks for 10 minutes.
    Lugweiler's Dismal Itch

School: Necromancy
    Level: 2
    Effect: Inflicts an unbearable itching on a target, causing distraction and a -2 penalty to AC and Dexterity saving throws for 1 hour.
    Khulip's Nasal Enhancement

Level: 1
    Effect: Enhances the target's sense of smell, granting the ability to track creatures by scent and detect poisons or hidden creatures within 30 feet.
    Rad's Pervasion of the Incorrect Chord

School: Illusion
    Effect: Causes dissonance in the minds of those who hear it, confusing them and causing them to take a -1 penalty on all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws for 10 minutes.
    Felojun's Second Hypnotic Spell

Effect: Paralyzes a target creature with a hypnotic pattern. The target is incapacitated and unable to move for up to 1 minute, or until the spell is broken by damage or another effect.
    Phandaal Gyrator Spell

Level: 5
    Effect: Causes a target creature or object to spin rapidly in the air. Can be used to disorient enemies or move objects. Lasts for up to 1 minute.
    The Spell of the Omnipotent Sphere

Level: 6
    Effect: Creates a powerful forcefield around the caster, granting immunity to all damage and spell effects for 1 minute.
    The Charm of Untiring Nourishment

Effect: The target can survive without food, water, or air for up to 7 days. The Spell of Internal Effervescence

Level: 7
    Effect: Causes a target creature's blood to boil, dealing 6d10 fire damage. A successful Constitution saving throw halves the damage.
    The Excellent Prismatic Sphere

Level: 8
    Effect: Creates a multi-layered sphere of light around the caster that damages and repels enemies. Each layer has a different effect based on the color of the light.
    The Call of the Violent Cloud

Effect: Summons a sentient cloud that can transport the caster and up to four others to a location within 100 miles.
    Phandaal's Critique of the Chill

Effect: Releases a wave of freezing energy, dealing 5d8 cold damage to all creatures in a 30-foot cone.
    The Inside Out and Over

Level: 9
    Effect: Inverts the terrain within a 100-foot radius, creating a labyrinth of inverted earth and sky. Lasts for 10 minutes.
    The Spell of Temporal Stasis

Level: 9
    Effect: Freezes time for everyone but the caster in a 60-foot radius for 1 minute. The caster can act normally during this time.
    Thasdrubal's Laganetic Transfer

Level: 6
    Effect: Teleports the caster and up to eight willing creatures to any known location on the same plane of existence.

On Saturday, September 2, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, John Olsson wrote:
    Have someone designed (A)D&D equivalents of the spells that appear in Jack Vance's books? Since my native (is it correct to use this word here?) language isn't English and I don't live in an Englishspeaking country (I live in Sweden, Europe), I have
    some problems with translateing the spellnames to Swedish... :)
    For those who haven't read anything from The Dying Earth series, I can warmly recommend them, since some parts of (A)D&D is based upon these.
    I belive that using spellnames like these gives a better athmosphere to the game. I think it sounds better to say something like "The Enchantment of Vertical Emancipation" instead of just "fly", or "Phandaal's Seamless Mantle of Transparency"...
    Below, I have included the spellnames of the spells that appear in TDE as well as some comments, which I think is correct. If they aren't could someone please correct my mistakes or fill in the blanks? Perhaps you could even help me with designing
    these spells for (A)D&D?!? Well, whatever, here comes the list:
    Xarfaggio's Physical Malepsy
    I know that mal- means something bad, as in malfunctioning, but what does malepsy mean? I have tried to look up the word in my dictionaries, but
    I haven't found any explanation to this word...
    Arnhoult's Sequestrious Digitalia
    Sequestrios mean to part (I think) and digitalia is perhaps a reference to digits, fingers? If this is correct, the spellname would suggest that the persons fingers would part from the body, and thus this would be a splendid pickpocket-spell?
    Lutar Brassnose's Twelve-fold Bounty
    The Spell of Forlorn Encystment
    Imprisons the victim in a pore in the Earth's crust exactly 45 miles below the
    surface...
    Finkler's Old-fashioned Froust
    What does froust mean?
    Clambard's Rein of Long Nerves
    The Green and Purple Postponement of Joy
    Panguire's Triumphs of Discomfort
    Lugweiler's Dismal Itch
    Khulip's Nasal Enhancement
    Rad's Pervasion of the Incorrect Chord
    Felojun's Second Hypnotic Spell
    This could be some sort of paralysing enchantment
    Phandaal Gyrator Spell
    The victim is caused to spin in the air at any speed or height!
    (Well, any speed means that the victim could rotate at such a speed that arms
    and legs would part from the body... An example of this is given in The Dying Earth.)
    The Spell of the Omnipotent Sphere
    As omnipotent means something *very* powerful, this could be some kind of expanding forcefield?
    The Charm of Untiring Nourishment
    Allows the reciepient to survive without food nor air.
    The Spell of Internal Effervescence
    Sounds *very* nasty, since effervescence means boiling...
    The Excellent Prismatic Sphere
    A spray of stabbing rays - very prety and very deadly!
    The Call of the Violent Cloud
    Summons a sentient pillar of smoke - a one way transportation spell. Phandaal's Critique of the Chill
    Seems to be some sort of freezing spell...
    The Inside Out and Over
    Inverts the topology of the surrounding area... I think this one is not to be
    cast outside in the open... :)
    The Spell of Temporal Stasis
    This is a time-stop, but it sounds better to say "The Spell of Temporal Stasis"
    then just "Time-stop", don't you think?
    Thasdrubal's Laganetic Transfer
    If I remember correctly, laganetic means some kind of transportation?

I hope I haven't upset anyone by posting this... ;)

John Olsson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)