• Fresh Phantasmal Force Ideas?

From Peter Casurella@21:1/5 to Kevin Erickson on Thu Oct 22 13:02:38 2020
    On Monday, April 15, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Kevin Erickson wrote:
    I'm looking for some "new" ideas for illusions. Specifically for
    Phantasmal Force. I'm tired of the collasping walls and fireballs. Does anyone have some unique or strange ideas for this spell?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

My favorite go-to for phantasmal force is:

The target believes that a thick leather bag has been suddenly pulled over their head. The bag has a wire drawstring that is pulled tight around their neck like a garotte, and is cutting into them.

The upshot is that the target is blinded AND takes the 1d6 damage every turn.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Peter Casurella on Thu Oct 22 20:54:36 2020
    On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 7:02:40 AM UTC+11, Peter Casurella wrote:
    Phantasmal Force. I'm tired of the collasping walls and fireballs. Does anyone have some unique or strange ideas for this spell?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

The target believes that a thick leather bag has been suddenly pulled over their head. The bag has a wire drawstring that is pulled tight around their neck like a garotte, and is cutting into them.

Is 24 years a new record for the group?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JimP@21:1/5 to hamish.laws@gmail.com on Fri Oct 23 09:02:13 2020
    On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
    <hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 7:02:40 AM UTC+11, Peter Casurella wrote:
    Phantasmal Force. I'm tired of the collasping walls and fireballs. Does
    anyone have some unique or strange ideas for this spell?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

Is 24 years a new record for the group?

Could be.

--
    Jim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fineousfingers35@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter Casurella on Fri Oct 30 13:02:03 2020
    On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:02:40 PM UTC-4, Peter Casurella wrote:
    I'm looking for some "new" ideas for illusions. Specifically for Phantasmal Force. I'm tired of the collasping walls and fireballs. Does anyone have some unique or strange ideas for this spell?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

I'm glad this thread got a bump . I want to write up a dungeon to show how really deadly illusionists can be. A friend of mine was working with me on an illusionist's version of "Guards and Wards." I think it makes sense, since that spell has a lot of
    illusionist spells as parts of it. One idea I had for Phantasmal Forces is to create an image of a ghost. The part that has me stuck is that the illusionist would have to have seen an actual ghost to create the image.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)@21:1/5 to fineousf...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 31 11:59:59 2020
    On 10/30/20 4:02 PM, fineousf...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks!
    Kevin

I'm glad this thread got a bump . I want to write up a dungeon to show how really deadly illusionists can be. A friend of mine was working with me on an illusionist's version of "Guards and Wards." I think it makes sense, since that spell has a lot of
    illusionist spells as parts of it. One idea I had for Phantasmal Forces is to create an image of a ghost. The part that has me stuck is that the illusionist would have to have seen an actual ghost to create the image.

No, he just has to have a good idea of what his target THINKS a ghost is.

--
    Sea Wasp
    /^\
    ;;;
    http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ?=@21:1/5 to peter.casurella@southgrow.com on Tue Dec 22 20:13:27 2020
    In article <868575b5-3554-48f0-924c-dba632495ac7n@googlegroups.com>, peter.casurella@southgrow.com wrote:

Thanks!
    Kevin

The upshot is that the target is blinded AND takes the 1d6 damage every
    turn.

r u retarded?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Justisaur@21:1/5 to fineousf...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 23 08:02:37 2020
    On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 1:02:05 PM UTC-7, fineousf...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm looking for some "new" ideas for illusions. Specifically for Phantasmal Force. I'm tired of the collasping walls and fireballs. Does anyone have some unique or strange ideas for this spell?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

The target believes that a thick leather bag has been suddenly pulled over their
    head. The bag has a wire drawstring that is pulled tight around their neck like
    a garotte, and is cutting into them.

I'm glad this thread got a bump . I want to write up a dungeon to show how really deadly illusionists can be. A friend of mine was working with me on an illusionist's version of "Guards and Wards." I think it makes sense, since that
    spell has a lot of illusionist spells as parts of it. One idea I had for Phantasmal
    Forces is to create an image of a ghost. The part that has me stuck is that the
    illusionist would have to have seen an actual ghost to create the image.

A lot of this depends on edition, and a lot on DM interpretation, which makes illusions hard to deal with both as a DM and a player. A lot of TSR dungeons have
    illusions that break TSRs own rules. As a consequence players may feel they're unfair.

Even 5e it's not clear what you can and can't do with the minor illusion cantrip.
    Illusions have never been clear and I think most DMs prefer to avoid them
    for that reason.

I used to love them when I was young, but the way they've never been pinned down irritates me now.

I think the more specific illusions from 1e work fine, shadow monsters, shadow magic, invisibility, mirror image, blur, ventriloquism, magic mouth, darkness, phantasmal killer, change self, maze. but the more free-form ones don't. I'd rather invent
    specific instances and make them spells, something like illusionary wall, illusionary pit, etc. The monsters and magic already have spells, but could use
    lower level versions. Perhaps allow a more freeform illusion that can't actually
    affect anything, just perhaps illustrate or scare - or make it part of the fear spell.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05