• GOmove, a modest experiment

From joejoyce@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 16 19:44:53 2017
    How does Go change if you allow movement?

Keep all Go rules as they are, and add this one:
    Players may move 1 stone 1 intersection, moving along the grid lines, each turn.

As it makes a difference whether the move is made before or after the drop, players may choose either each turn, for maximum flexibility.

The move is optional each turn. The drop is not.

DISCLAIMER: I believe Go is the quintessential drop game, and certainly does not need any improvement, as it might well be the best game ever designed, and is almost certainly the best abstract.

GOmove started as a thought experiment, and is proving quite interesting in early play. Here's a game being played on Game Courier. As I don't program at all, I'm stuck using what I can to play experimental designs online, so the game is played on a
    19x19 square grid with red and black markers placed in the squares and not on the intersections. Admittedly ugly, but it works.

http://play.chessvariants.com/pbm/play.php?game=GOmove&log=joejoyce-bruck-2017-249-982

What I'm looking for is someone to playtest this game. If you've got a better venue, please let me know. I admit to being surprised that I couldn't find any mention of this game anywhere. It seems a very easy and logical variant, and this version gives
    the least change from the original. SO if you are aware of this or similar games, please let me know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Moh Bel@21:1/5 to joejoyce on Sun Sep 17 08:34:08 2017
    On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 10:44:54 PM UTC-4, joejoyce wrote:
    How does Go change if you allow movement?

Keep all Go rules as they are, and add this one:
    Players may move 1 stone 1 intersection, moving along the grid lines, each turn.

As it makes a difference whether the move is made before or after the drop, players may choose either each turn, for maximum flexibility.

The move is optional each turn. The drop is not.

DISCLAIMER: I believe Go is the quintessential drop game, and certainly does not need any improvement, as it might well be the best game ever designed, and is almost certainly the best abstract.

GOmove started as a thought experiment, and is proving quite interesting in early play. Here's a game being played on Game Courier. As I don't program at all, I'm stuck using what I can to play experimental designs online, so the game is played on a
    19x19 square grid with red and black markers placed in the squares and not on the intersections. Admittedly ugly, but it works.

http://play.chessvariants.com/pbm/play.php?game=GOmove&log=joejoyce-bruck-2017-249-982

What I'm looking for is someone to playtest this game. If you've got a better venue, please let me know. I admit to being surprised that I couldn't find any mention of this game anywhere. It seems a very easy and logical variant, and this version gives
    the least change from the original. SO if you are aware of this or similar games, please let me know.

Go here
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.games.go

You will surely find experts on this game.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joejoyce@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 17 11:24:20 2017
    Thanks.

Still looking for players.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Luis_Bola=C3=B1os_Mures?=@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 20 12:54:21 2017
    There is Sligo: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144783/sligo

Same thing, but with the diagonal restriction from Slither. The ko rule isn't needed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joejoyce@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 20 13:14:26 2017
    Thanks, Luis. I am working on getting this back to the 'Geek with some info, but been sick and busy and haven't managed any opponents except 1 kinda slow guy for this year. Next year, this, or some version of it, should be played at the American Go
    Congress meeting under "Crazy Go". Check out rec.games.go.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05