• Speeding up Star Fleet Battles via direct fire drones...

From Christopher Nuzzi@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 7 08:30:57 2017
    I am experimenting with various ways to speed up SFB (I know about Fed Com, but can't afford it right now). I understand that there was a set of rules for Direct Fire Drones published in the old Nexus mag many years ago. Does anyone remember how to
    implement them? Alternately, does anyone have a workable set of house rules for this you might be willing to share?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Zamboni@21:1/5 to Christopher Nuzzi on Mon Jun 12 22:47:22 2017
    On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 8:30:58 AM UTC-7, Christopher Nuzzi wrote:
    I am experimenting with various ways to speed up SFB (I know about Fed Com, but can't afford it right now). I understand that there was a set of rules for Direct Fire Drones published in the old Nexus mag many years ago. Does anyone remember how to
    implement them? Alternately, does anyone have a workable set of house rules for this you might be willing to share?

We goofed around with a house rule that drones moved their speed when launched (8, 12, or 20 hexes), and the target could choose when he wanted to fire at them. You'd essentially have all the drones pile up 3 hexes away so the ADD racks could open up,
    then repeat the process again at 2 hexes and again at 1 hex. It led to a lot of fleet stacking though - either you could stop that turn's drone swarm or you couldn't. (Speed 32 drones broke the game because it let the drone flinger sit out at the map
    edge in relative safety.)

The fastest way I found to speed up games was just run it 4 or even 8 impulses at a time. Slow ship moves 2, fast ship moves 3, drones move 4, ships can fire at drones before impact. You can jump through a turn fairly fast this way, and you can either
    slow down when the dogfighting starts, or keep it fast and make people plan ahead. Overshooting your target without having a chance to shoot is a real possibility.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)