• =?UTF-8?Q?Taimanov_Fischer_Game_3=2C_=22the_most_bitter_defeat=22_mo?=

From Phil Innes@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 5 08:31:10 2023
    Here follows a serial report from 12 pages of analysis on my word processor of material assessing the infamous Taimanov Fischer match, Seattle, 1971. It is so extensive I will put it up in parts.

For those interested in further reading, Tal also annotated it [not in print so search on-line] or read "I was Fischer's Victim", which since has been translated into English — Google it, but paperbacks now cost about $35.

Here is the set-up moves 1 to 9, including a surprise.

======

Special thanks go to Phil Innes and to Boris Yeshan (Russian Chess) both for arranging the writing of this column with GM Taimanov, and also for their work translating the original text into English.

A Defeat Which Could Not Be Forgotten
    The chess player’s way - from beginner to super-class grandmaster - is not just strewn with roses; afflictions, to a greater or lesser extent, occur to everyone who sits down at the chessboard. They are connected with inevitable defeats in both
    overall competitions and in separate games. It is impossible to get used to this, alas…
    Certainly disappointments are not all the same. Some failures are not so painful and hence quickly forgotten; others remain in the memory for a long time.

I can admit with full frankness that in my more than semi-centennial chess career, the distressful match of 1971 with Robert Fischer was the most dramatic experience, and the third game of this duel was the most bitter defeat. I will share my memories
    with present admirers of chess creativity.

Taimanov,M (2620) - Fischer,R (2740) [E97]
Candidates qf3 Vancouver (3), 21.05.1971

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 Nc6 8.d5 Ne7
    I had no doubts that this position will appear in our match, and probably my opponent had similar expectations. Both of us belonged to a category of polemists of principle, ready to assert our belief in the King’s Indian ‘tableau’, which was
    always a favorite weapon for me with White and for Fischer with Black.
    But who would have the first opportunity to present a prepared surprise? 

9.Bd2
    Fischer might have expected here 9.Ne1, 9.Nd2, or 9.b4, which had repeatedly featured in my games. I worked out with my second especially for this match this calm developing move with the Bishop, which has the goal of prompt mobilization of forces of
    the queenside.
    9...Ne8
    Fischer was always most versed in opening subtleties of his favorite systems. He certainly knew that a conventional maneuver 9...Nh5 here is inexpedient in view of 10.g3 f5 11.exf5 Bxf5 12.Ng5 Nf6 13.g4 Bd7 14.Nge4 Nxe4 15.Nxe4.

Phil Innes

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)