• A proof that the maximum number of checkers on the bar is 15

From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 30 05:12:51 2023
    This topic was previously discussed in another thread, but I don't think
    it was fully resolved. Tim said "The proof in the book strikes me as sketchy" and this point seems unresolved in that thread. I aim to resolve this
    point here, completely rigorously.

Let us call a position "crowded" if it contains strictly more than 15 checkers on the bar.
    Suppose, by contradiction, that we have reached the first occurrence
    of a crowded position in a game.
    Let k be the number of checkers that were brought in from the bar on the previous roll.
    If k is 0, then we can't end up with more than 15 checkers on the bar. I can't hit myself so none of my checkers get sent to the bar, leaving a max of 15. Suppose k is 1. If I bring that checker in, we again get a max of 15, as before, because I can't hit myself.
    If the previous roll is a dance, then the position repeats contradicting the claim of first occurrence.
    Suppose k >= 2. If I dance completely, the previous argument applies.
    If I dance with one man, we either end up with fewer checkers on the
    bar or the same number of checkers on the bar depending on whether
    the entering number hits. If I don't dance at all, then I take at least two checkers off the bar while hitting <= 2 checkers. In all cases, the claim of first occurrence is contradicted.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Timothy Chow@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Thu Mar 30 08:48:59 2023
    On 3/30/2023 8:15 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 1:12:52 PM UTC+1, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    it was fully resolved. Tim said "The proof in the book strikes me as sketchy"
    and this point seems unresolved in that thread. I aim to resolve this

Let us call a position "crowded" if it contains strictly more than 15 checkers
    on the bar.
    Let k be the number of checkers that were brought in from the bar on the
    previous roll.
    If k is 0, then we can't end up with more than 15 checkers on the bar. I can't
    hit myself so none of my checkers get sent to the bar, leaving a max of 15. >> Suppose k is 1. If I bring that checker in, we again get a max of 15, as
    before, because I can't hit myself.
    If the previous roll is a dance, then the position repeats contradicting the >> claim of first occurrence.
    the entering number hits. If I don't dance at all, then I take at least two >> checkers off the bar while hitting <= 2 checkers. In all cases, the claim of first occurrence is contradicted.

Paul

Sorry, k needs to be the number of the last-roller's checkers that were on the bar before the
    most recent shake.

Thanks for clarifying...I was having trouble following your argument.

So when you say, "we have reached the first occurrence of a crowded
    position," you mean for example that White has just completed her
    checker play, leaving a crowded position with Black on roll? And
    k is the number of White's checkers on the bar? And in your narrative,
    is "I" White or Black?

---
    Tim Chow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Thu Mar 30 05:15:53 2023

on the bar.
    Let k be the number of checkers that were brought in from the bar on the previous roll.
    hit myself so none of my checkers get sent to the bar, leaving a max of 15. Suppose k is 1. If I bring that checker in, we again get a max of 15, as before, because I can't hit myself.
    If the previous roll is a dance, then the position repeats contradicting the claim of first occurrence.
    the entering number hits. If I don't dance at all, then I take at least two checkers off the bar while hitting <= 2 checkers. In all cases, the claim of first occurrence is contradicted.

Paul

Sorry, k needs to be the number of the last-roller's checkers that were on the bar before the
    most recent shake.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Timothy Chow on Thu Mar 30 09:01:36 2023
    On Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 1:49:02 PM UTC+1, Timothy Chow wrote:
    This topic was previously discussed in another thread, but I don't think >> it was fully resolved. Tim said "The proof in the book strikes me as sketchy"

on the bar.
    Let k be the number of checkers that were brought in from the bar on the >> previous roll.
    hit myself so none of my checkers get sent to the bar, leaving a max of 15.
    Suppose k is 1. If I bring that checker in, we again get a max of 15, as >> before, because I can't hit myself.
    If the previous roll is a dance, then the position repeats contradicting the
    claim of first occurrence.
    the entering number hits. If I don't dance at all, then I take at least two
    checkers off the bar while hitting <= 2 checkers. In all cases, the claim of first occurrence is contradicted.

Paul

most recent shake.

So when you say, "we have reached the first occurrence of a crowded position," you mean for example that White has just completed her
    checker play, leaving a crowded position with Black on roll?

Well, yes. But how could I possibly have meant anything else?
    Please could you explain the ambiguity here?

And k is the number of White's checkers on the bar? And in your narrative, is "I" White or Black?

White.

Tim Chow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Thu Mar 30 09:07:56 2023
    On Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 5:01:37 PM UTC+1, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    and this point seems unresolved in that thread. I aim to resolve this >> point here, completely rigorously.

on the bar.
    previous roll.
    Suppose k is 1. If I bring that checker in, we again get a max of 15, as
    Suppose k >= 2. If I dance completely, the previous argument applies. >> If I dance with one man, we either end up with fewer checkers on the
    checkers off the bar while hitting <= 2 checkers. In all cases, the claim of first occurrence is contradicted.

Paul

most recent shake.

So when you say, "we have reached the first occurrence of a crowded position," you mean for example that White has just completed her
    checker play, leaving a crowded position with Black on roll?
    Well, yes. But how could I possibly have meant anything else?
    Please could you explain the ambiguity here?
    And k is the number of White's checkers on the bar? And in your narrative, is "I" White or Black?
    White.

Tim Chow

My argument needs another minor correction.
    It is possible to bring in two checkers and hit three checkers but that only happens if that
    last roll brings in all that player's checkers so that checkers of only one colour remain on the bar.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Timothy Chow on Fri Mar 31 06:07:43 2023
    This topic was previously discussed in another thread, but I don't think >> it was fully resolved. Tim said "The proof in the book strikes me as sketchy"

on the bar.
    Let k be the number of checkers that were brought in from the bar on the >> previous roll.
    Suppose k is 1. If I bring that checker in, we again get a max of 15, as >> before, because I can't hit myself.

Paul

most recent shake.

is "I" White or Black?

---
    Tim Chow

I think we can be a lot simpler as follows:
    Clearly the 15 figure can be obtained by making an inner board point and then strolling around,
    picking up all 15 blots.
    But can this be beaten?
    To get more than 16 checkers on the bar, we need checkers on the bar of both colours.
    Consider the position immediately before the maximum was first obtained, and consider the
    next roll.
    If all that roll did was bring checkers in from the bar, with no time to do extra non-entering plays.
    Then clearly there were at least as many checkers entered as blots hit, and we didn't increase
    the on-bar number.
    Alternatively, suppose that this prior roll did make non-entering plays. That means that
    the prior roller had all their checkers off the bar and we don't beat 15.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raymond Kershaw@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 31 10:29:25 2023
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 2:07:45 PM UTC+1, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    and this point seems unresolved in that thread. I aim to resolve this >> point here, completely rigorously.

on the bar.
    previous roll.
    Suppose k >= 2. If I dance completely, the previous argument applies. >> If I dance with one man, we either end up with fewer checkers on the

Paul

most recent shake.

is "I" White or Black?

---
    Tim Chow
    Clearly the 15 figure can be obtained by making an inner board point and then strolling around,
    picking up all 15 blots.
    But can this be beaten?
    To get more than 16 checkers on the bar, we need checkers on the bar of both colours.
    Consider the position immediately before the maximum was first obtained, and consider the
    next roll.
    If all that roll did was bring checkers in from the bar, with no time to do extra non-entering plays.
    Then clearly there were at least as many checkers entered as blots hit, and we didn't increase
    the on-bar number.
    Alternatively, suppose that this prior roll did make non-entering plays. That means that

Paul
    These rather tortuous explanations are dealt with more succinctly in Backgammon Funfair: "It is possible to have fifteen White checkers on the bar. Then a Red checker can come to the bar only by being hit by a White checker entering from the bar.
    Hence the total on the bar cannot exceed fifteen."
    I don't see this argument as being in any way sletchy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Raymond Kershaw on Fri Mar 31 12:23:24 2023
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 6:29:26 PM UTC+1, Raymond Kershaw wrote:
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 2:07:45 PM UTC+1, peps...@gmail.com wrote:

on the bar.
    Suppose, by contradiction, that we have reached the first occurrence >> of a crowded position in a game.
    previous roll.
    Suppose k >= 2. If I dance completely, the previous argument applies. >> If I dance with one man, we either end up with fewer checkers on the >> bar or the same number of checkers on the bar depending on whether

Paul

most recent shake.

So when you say, "we have reached the first occurrence of a crowded position," you mean for example that White has just completed her checker play, leaving a crowded position with Black on roll? And
    k is the number of White's checkers on the bar? And in your narrative, is "I" White or Black?

---
    Tim Chow
    picking up all 15 blots.
    But can this be beaten?
    next roll.
    the on-bar number.

Paul
    These rather tortuous explanations are dealt with more succinctly in Backgammon Funfair: "It is possible to have fifteen White checkers on the bar. Then a Red checker can come to the bar only by being hit by a White checker entering from the bar. Hence
    the total on the bar cannot exceed fifteen."
    I don't see this argument as being in any way sketchy.

Of course it's sketchy. The argument shows only that, if 15 checkers of the same colour are on the bar, then no other checkers are on the bar.
    It does nothing to show why we can't have (for example) 14 white checkers and two black checkers on the bar.

My argument, in the post you're replying to, is much clearer and if you do produce a next edition, you're welcome to use it.

Paul Epstein

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Timothy Chow@21:1/5 to Raymond Kershaw on Fri Mar 31 19:48:26 2023
    On 3/31/2023 1:29 PM, Raymond Kershaw wrote:
    These rather tortuous explanations are dealt with more succinctly in Backgammon Funfair: "It is possible to have fifteen White checkers on the bar. Then a Red checker can come to the bar only by being hit by a White checker entering from the bar.

The trouble is that this argument only says what can happen if you
    start with 15 White checkers on the bar. It doesn't prove that
    there isn't some other way of getting to (for example) 8 White
    checkers and 8 Red checkers on the bar without first getting 15
    checkers of one color on the bar.

---
    Tim Chow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Timothy Chow on Sat Apr 1 02:42:46 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 12:48:29 AM UTC+1, Timothy Chow wrote:
    On 3/31/2023 1:29 PM, Raymond Kershaw wrote:
    The trouble is that this argument only says what can happen if you
    start with 15 White checkers on the bar. It doesn't prove that
    there isn't some other way of getting to (for example) 8 White
    checkers and 8 Red checkers on the bar without first getting 15
    checkers of one color on the bar.

From a content point of view, this reads like a duplicate of what I posted. However, I had a (justifiably) irritated tone in my response, which is not present in yours.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05