• Re: Facebook backgammon and manipulation of game

From Glenn Rhoads@21:1/5 to Michael Petch on Thu Nov 17 14:37:07 2022
    On Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 12:49:12 AM UTC, Michael Petch wrote:
    On 03/08/2013 4:39 PM, christophe...@gmail.com wrote:
    Anybody playing Backgammon Live or the new incarnation of Play65,PlayGem Social?
    Some of us find that the games must be being manipulated by the developers and or admins.It is pretty blatant stuff. Multiple doubles again and again,game after game. Anybody have any knowledge of this kind of manipulation? I'm not interested in
    opening a discussion of whether this exists or doesn't exist. I'm not going there again. I would like to hear from people who have played there or in other arenas or have worked in online gaming. Thanks in advance,chris

I am a developer of GNUBG ( www.gnubg.org ), and have written code for
    years that generate dice and randomized card deals. Is it possible for a developer to write bad routines to generate dice? Yes it is, however
    there are so many well known and well tested pseudo random generators
    that are indistinguishable from real randomness that you can't tell them apart.

On a pay site in theory developers could keep the fish playing by
    altering the dice to favour the weaker player just to keep them from
    leaving the site (and I believe that was suggested in many forums) yet
    there was never any concrete evidence of it (that I saw), but it could happen if the business has no scruples. Some businesses don't. So when
    it comes to real money play you take your chances.

You bring up a social game in the mix. Social sites have less incentive
    to have doubles. If a social site appears to have too many doubles in
    your opinion, it is probably more than likely that the rolls are good.
    In fact some sites actually realize that random dice don't make it a fun game, so they bias the generator against longer sequences or clusters of doubles.

One such case is Safeharborgames (www.safeharborgames.net). A number of years ago Neil Robbins discovered an issue on a small sample set of
    matches on SHG. Will Womack and I collected hundreds of thousands of
    rolls originally and discovered that Neil was correct. Safeharbor games
    had placed a de-clustering algorithm on the rolls to help prevent longer sequences of doubles from appearing. The dice were random, but they no longer reflected the distribution expected from properly weighted 6
    sided dice.

I played on this site for the better part of a year and wasn't aware
    that there were too few doubles. What I should have picked up on though
    was that on SHG there were far fewer people complaining about the dice.
    The lack of complaints should have sent up a red flag.

SHG removed the de-cluster algorithm they were using and the statistical study of the dice after that (millions of rolls worth from actual
    matches played) showed the dice were now fine. Unfortunately, it had the side effect that people now complained that there were too many doubles
    and they would leave the site. To make a long story short SHG decided to appease their social player base and created red dice and yellow dice
    rooms. Red dice rooms are the bastardized dice with fewer sequences of doubles (Mersenne Twister + de-cluster algorithm), and the yellow ones
    are based on rolls generate by Mersenne Twister algorithm (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_twister ). If you wish to read
    more about that saga and the user backlash Will Womack's blog is still aailable to read: http://backgammoncamp.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/safe-harbor-games-dice/ .

SHG is no longer alone, and thanks to Christopher Yep for contacting me
    a couple days ago (I forgot to respond to him until I saw your post)
    about another site who offer mobile Backgammon and they make it quite
    clear that they too bastardize the dice. The product is FaceMe mobile backgammon: http://www.quatrian.com/FMBGFAQ.html . Read the section "How does the Random dice rolling algorithm work?". What they do is take a
    random source and then apply a filter to it to reduce occurrences of clusters of doubles. This doesn't make the dice closer to real life
    dice, it makes them much different in a statistically bad way.

On GNUBG (GNU Backgammon, a world class playing program) we make all our source code fully available (It is open source GLPv3). No one has yet
    found in the code where the dice are manipulated when you use the normal dice options (GNUBG does offer a dice cheating option). Nor have they
    found the code that looks ahead at a next roll to make a better decision
    on the current roll. No one has found the code where the bot alters the
    dice with normal dice options.

The real problem is that people's perception of what randomness looks
    like or how many doubles should appear, or how many in a row you should
    see is most often flawed. There are many articles on this, and then of course there is the gambler's fallacy etc.

About 15 years ago Gary Wong (the original author of GNUBG) wrote a complaint form for dice when there were very few online servers, but a
    lot of people complaining. That form has been saved for posterity here: http://www.bkgm.com/rgb/rgb.cgi?view+546

I have studied the dice on a number of sites including Gridgammon, FIBS,
    and Safeharbor games. Many tens of thousands of matches played by a
    variety of people. The only sites I have studied that had dice issues
    was SHG and its predecessor RenGamesOnline (which is now http://gamingsafari.com/ ). Both artificially manipulate the doubles to
    make the game appear fairer. This doesn't mean these dice are correct
    (and statistics can show it)

Dice can be fickle. The best we can do as players is to become more competent, make fewer error and maximize the luck we do get. But even if
    we play our best, the dice can knock us on our ass and make us think "I
    hate Backgammon" (see http://www.ihatebackgammon.com/ for the t-shirt).

--
    Michael Petch
    GNU Backgammon Maintainer / Developer
    OpenPGP FingerPrint=D81C 6A0D 987E 7DA5 3219 6715 466A 2ACE 5CAE 3304

The Mersenne Twister is overkill for a social backgammon game but it definitely an excellent generator with an extremely long period.

You're right that most people do not have an intuitive idea of what a random sequence really looks like. When people write out a random sequence of coin flips, they tend to alternate between heads and tails too much. A test I did on a class of my
    students was have each of them write out a random sequence of 64 coin flips except for one student who would generate the list by an actual sequence of coin flips. They would write some random 6 digit number (I tell not to use something like 123456 or
    000000) on their list so I couldn't tell who wrote which list. Then I gather up all the lists. I pick one of the lists claiming it is the randomly generated one. Without fail it is. How do I perform this seemingly improbable tasks? For each list,
    count up the longest streak of heads or tails. The sequence with the longest streak is the random one. With a sequence of 64 flips, you are going to get a streak of length 5 or 6. Nobody ever wants to pick that long of a streak.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Tim Chow on Fri Nov 18 11:58:15 2022
    On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 12:28:20 AM UTC+1, Tim Chow wrote:
    On Monday, October 6, 2014 4:39:33 PM UTC-4, lan...@gmail.com wrote:
    Many times when I am in a critical position in the game and it is my opponent's roll, I say to myself "I bet I know what the next roll is
    going to be" and sure enough I am right most of the time - a perfect roll either in my favor or my opponent's. The odds for the occurrence of such perfect rolls in critical positions defy the rules of probability.
    This would be interesting if you have written records to back it up. Instead of just "saying to yourself," write down your prediction in a log book. It counts only if the prediction is written down completely before the roll appears. Furthermore you
    must pledge that every time you write down a prediction, it stays on the permanent record even if you end up being wrong.

I've never heard of anyone actually doing this, so I have to assume that you're just deluding yourself. I would love to be proved wrong, so please start such a log book and share the results after you have accumulated, say, 500 predictions.

This reminds me of a really frustrating argument I had around 1994 with a guy who claimed that FIBS rolls were not at all random, and that, if someone made a mistake,
    the chance of that mistake being immediately punished was far more likely than with purely random dice. I was sure this was nonsense so I said "Ok, let's watch some Fibs games then.
    If your theory is right, you're going to be really good at predicting the rolls! So let's go ahead!" He then consistently failed to predict the rolls, with his failed predictions being completely
    consistent with a random hypothesis. However, far from conceding that he was right, he actually became very excited and was actually far more convinced of his theory than he was before
    the experiment. Why?? I'll illustrate by example, the type of thing that happened. My friend (and he was a friend) would say: "Ok, that was a blunder not escaping! I predict he'll crunch with a 44!"
    Then he would roll a 55 and crunch. "You see!! You see!!" my friend would say excitedly. "It's always a roll that punishes the bad play. Just as I predicted!"
    So he was able to convince himself that he won the argument because there was no objective scientific examination of his claim. Note that his predictions were not resricted to predicting single
    rolls. He could make any testable prediction --- predicting that something in a set of rolls would occur was fine. However, if something was outside his set, he would often say that it still proved his point
    because although the roll was outside the set, it belonged in the set because it exposed the weakness of a bad play. So the type of thing that would happen is that he would say:
    "Ok, now he's going to roll 21 or 31". We then see a roll of 32. "Yes, or 32! or 32! The same type of roll as I said. You see I'm right!"
    I was unbelievably frustrated by this argument.
    This guy went on to become a star grad student in mathematics, got a Ph.D in mathematics but I don't think he did all that much as a research mathematician.
    He then went into industry.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MK@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 19 03:11:52 2022
    On November 18, 2022 at 12:58:16 PM UTC-7, peps...@gmail.com wrote:

On October 7, 2014 at 12:28:20 AM UTC+1, Tim Chow wrote:

This reminds me of a really frustrating argument.....

The one prior post in this thread was from
    Nov 17, 2022 but you chose to quote and
    reply to an eight years old post from Tim!?

A perfect proof that you are his ass-kisser
    and one of the pack of sick dogs of RGB. :(

The only thing that should matter in this old
    thread is that the first person who replied to
    the original post was Michael Petch who did
    post several more times, at length about the
    rigged/bastardized dice in Safeharborgames,
    FaceMe and rigged/riggable in MSN Gaming
    Zone; and that he posted links to his daddy
    Wong's infamous "official complaint form";
    but that he never filled and filed a complaint
    to his assholic daddy Wong about the dice at
    Safeharborgames, FaceMe and MSN Gaming
    Zone, etc.!

Everytime I see a mention (or an snide insider
    reference) of it, I will roll it up and shove it up
    his and his ilks' arrogant assholes, until Wong
    publicly retracts his "official complaint form"
    and apologizes for it...

MK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Chow@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 19 13:56:54 2022
    On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 2:58:16 PM UTC-5, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    "Ok, now he's going to roll 21 or 31". We then see a roll of 32. "Yes, or 32! or 32! The same type of roll as I said. You see I'm right!"
    I was unbelievably frustrated by this argument.

Interesting. Not that you're likely to get into such an argument again,
    but one possible tactic you could have tried would be to have the guy
    state rolls that are *not* going to happen. If he says that a roll is definitely not going to happen and then it happens, that's harder to
    weasel out of than if he predicts a particular roll and then a "similar"
    roll happens.

If that sounds too complicated, you could restrict to simpler predictions,
    such as dance/enter, or doublets/non-doublets.

---
    Tim Chow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nasti Chestikov@21:1/5 to Tim Chow on Sun Nov 20 08:36:18 2022
    On Saturday, 19 November 2022 at 21:56:55 UTC, Tim Chow wrote:

Interesting. Not that you're likely to get into such an argument again,
    but one possible tactic you could have tried would be to have the guy
    state rolls that are *not* going to happen. If he says that a roll is definitely not going to happen and then it happens, that's harder to
    weasel out of than if he predicts a particular roll and then a "similar"
    roll happens.

Tim Chow

Can we flip that on its head? If I announce that the bot is going to roll x-y and it does (as many times as the developer chooses, 1, 10, 100, no difference to me), how does the developer of the program "weasel out of it"?

Particularly, and especially, when I've disassembled his code (even though he's hidden it behind ProGuard) and so I know exactly when his bot is going to "roll" bullshit dice?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Timothy Chow@21:1/5 to Nasti Chestikov on Sun Nov 20 13:22:13 2022
    On 11/20/2022 11:36 AM, Nasti Chestikov wrote:
    Can we flip that on its head? If I announce that the bot is going to roll x-y and it does (as many times as the developer chooses, 1, 10, 100, no difference to me), how does the developer of the program "weasel out of it"?

I might answer that question if you tell me where you attended
    law school.

---
    Tim Chow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nasti Chestikov@21:1/5 to Tim Chow on Mon Nov 21 08:40:37 2022
    On Sunday, 20 November 2022 at 18:22:14 UTC, Tim Chow wrote:
    On 11/20/2022 11:36 AM, Nasti Chestikov wrote:
    I might answer that question if you tell me where you attended
    law school.

---
    Tim Chow

Just as soon as you admit to hawking fast cars around the strips of Vegas.........

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gary Atkins@21:1/5 to christophe...@gmail.com on Sat Apr 29 23:10:36 2023
    On Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 3:39:09 PM UTC-7, christophe...@gmail.com wrote:
    Anybody playing Backgammon Live or the new incarnation of Play65,PlayGem Social?
    Some of us find that the games must be being manipulated by the developers and or admins.It is pretty blatant stuff. Multiple doubles again and again,game after game. Anybody have any knowledge of this kind of manipulation? I'm not interested in
    opening a discussion of whether this exists or doesn't exist. I'm not going there again. I would like to hear from people who have played there or in other arenas or have worked in online gaming. Thanks in advance,chris

I agree, games are rigged so people buy chips or they let you win for a while and hope you are hooked so when they swipe it, the player will buy more chips. Neva gonna pay to play! LOL Many times when i'm up 5K I just play to give it back. I'll get
    another 600 tomorrow for free by spinning the wheel. Doesn't matter if your playing a 100 chip board or a billion chip board.. Backgammon is only played one way and I can enjoy the plain 100 chip board.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05