• Some remarks about a no-peek poster

From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 2 05:39:02 2022
    One of our most esteemed contributors goes by the name of "ah...Clem".
    I was greatly intrigued by his signature: "The future is fun, the future is fair." so
    I googled it (as you do).
    Imagine my delight and amazement (actually no need to imagine it if you
    don't want to) when I retrieved not only a reference to the signature but
    the very origins of ah...Clem's moniker!
    "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus" is a comedy album from 1971 (which somehow makes me think Walt might be a few years older than most
    30-year-olds), and Uh, Clem is apparently one of the major characters.

Furthermore, recorded voices are on the bus saying:
    "The future is fun! ... The future is fair! ... You may already have won! ... You may already be there!"

I would kind of find those voices irritating so I might well choose not to
    ride this bus. However, if I was able to sit next to Paul/Walt/Clem and
    chat about AI in backgammon with him, I think that would amply
    compensate me for having to bear the extraneous voices.

The URL I consulted is: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/I_Think_We%27re_All_Bozos_on_This_Bus

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ah...Clem@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 11:12:22 2022
    On 11/2/2022 8:39 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    I was greatly intrigued by his signature: "The future is fun, the future is fair." so
    Imagine my delight and amazement (actually no need to imagine it if you
    don't want to) when I retrieved not only a reference to the signature but
    the very origins of ah...Clem's moniker!
    "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus" is a comedy album from 1971 (which somehow makes me think Walt might be a few years older than most 30-year-olds), and Uh, Clem is apparently one of the major characters.

"The future is fun! ... The future is fair! ... You may already have won! ... You may already be there!"

I would kind of find those voices irritating so I might well choose not to ride this bus. However, if I was able to sit next to Paul/Walt/Clem and
    chat about AI in backgammon with him, I think that would amply

The URL I consulted is: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/I_Think_We%27re_All_Bozos_on_This_Bus

Actually, the origin of the name is this: https://www.geodata.us/canada_names_maps/maps.php?featureid=JAAWN&f=264

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ah...Clem on Thu Nov 3 11:58:30 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 3:12:27 PM UTC, ah...Clem wrote:
    On 11/2/2022 8:39 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
    Imagine my delight and amazement (actually no need to imagine it if you don't want to) when I retrieved not only a reference to the signature but the very origins of ah...Clem's moniker!
    "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus" is a comedy album from 1971 (which somehow makes me think Walt might be a few years older than most 30-year-olds), and Uh, Clem is apparently one of the major characters.

"The future is fun! ... The future is fair! ... You may already have won! ...
    You may already be there!"

I would kind of find those voices irritating so I might well choose not to ride this bus. However, if I was able to sit next to Paul/Walt/Clem and chat about AI in backgammon with him, I think that would amply

Actually, the origin of the name is this: https://www.geodata.us/canada_names_maps/maps.php?featureid=JAAWN&f=264

Ok, but it can't possibly be a coincidence that the same comedy album, "I think we're all Bozos," just happens
    to be a link with both your rgb name Ah...Clem <-> Uh Clem and also with your "future is fun" signature.

What you may be saying is that the Uh Clem character in your album comes from Ah Clem in Canada?
    Is that your point?

In any case, the reason you chose ah...Clem is at least 99.999999% certain to be related to the album.
    Maybe you like the album because you like Ah Clem Lake and therefore like the fact that the album refers to it?

In any case, your correction doesn't really make any sense, because you're asserting a coincidence of enormous
    magnitude.

Here's an analogy that makes my point. Suppose I have two cats and I call one of them "Oliver Twist" and the other one
    "Artful Dodger", then here the reference (or origin) would surely be to Dickens's novel "Oliver Twist".
    It wouldn't make sense for me to correct someone pointing out this connection by claiming that no,
    the names don't refer to Dickens's novel at all because the names "Artful Dodger"
    and "Oliver Twist" existed before Dickens used them.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ah...Clem@21:1/5 to peps...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 18:56:55 2022
    On 11/3/2022 2:58 PM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:

In any case, your correction doesn't really make any sense, because you're asserting a coincidence of enormous
    magnitude.

It's a probability thing. Unusual things are actually quite common.

Anyway, if you'd like thirty nine minutes and twelve seconds extracted
    from your future (which is allegedly both fun and fair) you can listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmWFrMq3qNY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pepstein5@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ah...Clem on Thu Nov 3 17:10:56 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 10:56:53 PM UTC, ah...Clem wrote:
    On 11/3/2022 2:58 PM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:

magnitude.
    It's a probability thing. Unusual things are actually quite common.

Anyway, if you'd like thirty nine minutes and twelve seconds extracted
    from your future (which is allegedly both fun and fair) you can listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmWFrMq3qNY

Thanks for the reference.
    But some alleged coincidences are just too improbable to be real coincidences, and this is one of them.
    For example, suppose you had finished reading a story by Stephen King, and then you see Stephen King at
    an airport. Then yes, this is a coincidence.
    However, suppose that we were together, and we both watched Nadal win Wimbledon, then we both watched a
    youtube video of Mochy just afterwards, and then, after that, we both saw a film with Clint Eastwood, and then you go to the airport without me.
    If you told me that, at the airport, you saw Mochy, Eastwood and Nadal travelling together in a group of three,
    then I would be very gullible to believe you.

Let's look at the facts in this instance:
    We google "The future is fun, the future is fair" and we get your comedy album. Then we google "Ah Clem" and we get _exactly_ the same comedy album coming around second in a general google search
    and first in a video google search, even though the comedy album is rather obscure.
    This is most definitely _not_ a coincidence.

What probably happened is that you chose "Ah Clem" without knowing exactly why you chose it, and you may even have been primarily thinking
    about the Canadian lake. However, you certainly would never have chosen that name if you hadn't heard the album.

I'll try and listen to this, time permitting.
    We do have many of the same interests (though sailing really bores me), so I'm quite likely to have similar tastes to you.

Thanks again,

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05