• Brian Anthony

From Atlanta Ranger@21:1/5 to James L. Hankins on Sat Nov 2 07:10:25 2019
    On Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 7:29:31 PM UTC-4, James L. Hankins wrote:
    This is for any newbies reading this newsgroup.

What follows is old-hat to those who posted here during the years that Brian Anthony also posted. But just to clear some things up, Brian was a prolific poster who made an incredible number of handicapping picks. He kept meticulous records of his picks and he was very good at it. As handicappers go--at least those with the balls to post their picks in a public forum for others to review--Brian was without peer in my experience.

A poster named Gary Collard also posted picks around the same time. Collard is a very poor handicapper with a losing record, but carries on as if he is
    a good handicapper. It is a little bit creepy the way he does it, seemingly with no awareness or shame about what he does. Brian (and others) caught Gary Collard lying and cheating about his picks and nailed him on it. Collard's usual MO was to label his picks as something different, then he would make a pick, and if it lost he would then claim that it didn't count; if it won he would count it. On other occasions he would just outright lie. Because Brian exposed Collard's lies repeatedly, Collard developed an almost pathological hatred for Brian. This is evidenced in Collard's replies to Brian when Brian posted here, but is most clearly underscored in Collard's bile since Brian stopped posting. Collard's personality type is that of a comletely self-absorbed, almost sociopathic personality. He ignores his own failings, seems to have no comprehension of his own shortcomings, and has a super-inflated conception of his own opinions. He is the worst kind of hypocrite---one who seems to be unaware of his own hypocrisy, yet continues to engage in it. So, for the new readers, when Gary Collard makes a comment about Brian Anthony, it will most likely be negative. The reason for it
    will be that Collard dislikes Brian Anthony because Brian Anthony exposed Collard as a liar and a cheat. Collard is extremely bitter about it.

Jason or James Catron, who lies even about his own name, is more straightforward. He makes no pretense about being rational or about liking Brian. They disliked each other from the beginning, probably because they are both spirited personalities. Catron's criticisms of Brian are different than Collard's. Whereas Collard just makes shit up with abandon because he was shamed by Brian, Catron just hurls insults because that's just the way
    he is. There is no pretension with Catron and his motives are pure at least to the extent that admits not liking Brian and just likes to flame.

More complex is Atlanta Ranger. Ranger was usually a rational poster, but for some reason has seen fit to hurl insults and criticisms of Brian Anthony after Brian quit posting. It's difficult to divine the reasons why. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to a lapse of good judgment and common sense, and maybe a lapse of maturity which happen to us all from time to time.

I posted here for years, as did HC, and we disagreed with Brian Anthony on several things (I disagreed with him quite forcefully on a playoff system
    for college football), but our exchanges were civil and constructive because if you approached Brian that way he reciprocated.

Several months ago, Brian Anthony stopped posting for reasons unknown. My sense is that something profoundly debilitating happened to the man since I doubt he would just stop posting of his own volition. But I don't know, nor to my knowledge has anyone been able to verify why Brian stopped posting.

I *do* know that Collard, Catron, and Ranger seem to have racked up some posts that take post shots at Brian for no clear reasons that I can understand other than what I have articulated above (Collard is a pathologicaly liar with no self-awareness and is bitter about being exposed by Brian as a cheater and a fraud; Catron is just an obnoxious asshole who regularly had flame wars with Brian and just doesn't like him personally;
    and Ranger, who is usually reasonable, just had a fit of immaturity and bad judgment).

So, when anyone new here reads flames against Brian Anthony by Gary Collard, James/Jason Catron, or Atlanta Ranger, now you know why.

What you got going today Brian A? Florida has you written all over it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gary Collard@21:1/5 to Atlanta Ranger on Mon Dec 30 13:04:24 2019
    I don't even remember this Brian sock puppet, nice find

On 11/2/2019 9:10 AM, Atlanta Ranger wrote:
    On Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 7:29:31 PM UTC-4, James L. Hankins wrote:
    This is for any newbies reading this newsgroup.

What follows is old-hat to those who posted here during the years that Brian >> Anthony also posted. But just to clear some things up, Brian was a prolific >> poster who made an incredible number of handicapping picks. He kept
    meticulous records of his picks and he was very good at it. As handicappers >> go--at least those with the balls to post their picks in a public forum for >> others to review--Brian was without peer in my experience.

A poster named Gary Collard also posted picks around the same time. Collard >> is a very poor handicapper with a losing record, but carries on as if he is >> a good handicapper. It is a little bit creepy the way he does it, seemingly >> with no awareness or shame about what he does. Brian (and others) caught
    Gary Collard lying and cheating about his picks and nailed him on it.
    Collard's usual MO was to label his picks as something different, then he
    would make a pick, and if it lost he would then claim that it didn't count; >> if it won he would count it. On other occasions he would just outright lie. >> Because Brian exposed Collard's lies repeatedly, Collard developed an almost >> pathological hatred for Brian. This is evidenced in Collard's replies to
    Brian when Brian posted here, but is most clearly underscored in Collard's >> bile since Brian stopped posting. Collard's personality type is that of a >> comletely self-absorbed, almost sociopathic personality. He ignores his own >> failings, seems to have no comprehension of his own shortcomings, and has a >> super-inflated conception of his own opinions. He is the worst kind of
    hypocrite---one who seems to be unaware of his own hypocrisy, yet continues >> to engage in it. So, for the new readers, when Gary Collard makes a comment >> about Brian Anthony, it will most likely be negative. The reason for it
    will be that Collard dislikes Brian Anthony because Brian Anthony exposed
    Collard as a liar and a cheat. Collard is extremely bitter about it.

Jason or James Catron, who lies even about his own name, is more
    straightforward. He makes no pretense about being rational or about liking >> Brian. They disliked each other from the beginning, probably because they >> are both spirited personalities. Catron's criticisms of Brian are different >> than Collard's. Whereas Collard just makes shit up with abandon because he >> was shamed by Brian, Catron just hurls insults because that's just the way >> he is. There is no pretension with Catron and his motives are pure at least >> to the extent that admits not liking Brian and just likes to flame.

More complex is Atlanta Ranger. Ranger was usually a rational poster, but >> for some reason has seen fit to hurl insults and criticisms of Brian Anthony >> after Brian quit posting. It's difficult to divine the reasons why. I will >> give him the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to a lapse of good
    judgment and common sense, and maybe a lapse of maturity which happen to us >> all from time to time.

I posted here for years, as did HC, and we disagreed with Brian Anthony on >> several things (I disagreed with him quite forcefully on a playoff system
    for college football), but our exchanges were civil and constructive because >> if you approached Brian that way he reciprocated.

Several months ago, Brian Anthony stopped posting for reasons unknown. My >> sense is that something profoundly debilitating happened to the man since I >> doubt he would just stop posting of his own volition. But I don't know, nor >> to my knowledge has anyone been able to verify why Brian stopped posting.

I *do* know that Collard, Catron, and Ranger seem to have racked up some
    posts that take post shots at Brian for no clear reasons that I can
    understand other than what I have articulated above (Collard is a
    pathologicaly liar with no self-awareness and is bitter about being exposed >> by Brian as a cheater and a fraud; Catron is just an obnoxious asshole who >> regularly had flame wars with Brian and just doesn't like him personally;
    and Ranger, who is usually reasonable, just had a fit of immaturity and bad >> judgment).

So, when anyone new here reads flames against Brian Anthony by Gary Collard, >> James/Jason Catron, or Atlanta Ranger, now you know why.

What you got going today Brian A? Florida has you written all over it.

--
    Gary Collard
    SABR-L Moderator
    Email gmcollard at verizon dot net or yahoo dot com
    Twitter @LakerGMC

"Government is force, and politics is the process of deciding
    who gets to use it on whom." –- Richard Grant

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mossingen@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 4 00:35:22 2023
    "Atlanta Ranger" wrote in message news:13988cc6-233c-4877-ae39-62b264b97e7f@googlegroups.com...

<snip long post by me about Brian>

Hello Ranger. I haven't visited this haunt in over a decade, and when I do peek in, I find a long rambling post...by me!

This is funny stuff. And no, Gary, I'm not a sock puppet for Brian. I was here many years and saw your character, which is accurately set forth in the post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mossingen@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 8 13:05:46 2023
    "Gary Collard" wrote in message news:qudhno$4j7$1@dont-email.me...

I don't even remember this Brian sock puppet, nice find

_______

Not a sock puppet. I'm James L. Hankins, the guy who posted under his real name here for years back in the day, who authored that long-winded post, and who knows first-hand that whatever handicapping records you claim are very likely made-up bullshit because you've been exposed as a cheater here by
    Brian and others many times.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05