• Jury Duty

From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 6 11:52:49 2023
    So were up to $35 daily compensation in Cook County now. Quite the windfall. It had been just over $17. 26th and Cal this time. Like something out of Robocop.... the OG Robocop. Post industrial decay.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to C Mayhem on Tue Jun 6 23:56:42 2023
    On Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 11:52:52 AM UTC-7, C Mayhem wrote:
    So were up to $35 daily compensation in Cook County now. Quite the windfall. It had been just over $17. 26th and Cal this time. Like something out of Robocop.... the OG Robocop. Post industrial decay.

C

I got a jury notice two years ago but when I went to the website to do their registration I was rejected because I was over age 70. That's f'd up. I really needed the money.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to risky biz on Wed Jun 7 01:54:40 2023
    On Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 11:56:46 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

C
    I got a jury notice two years ago but when I went to the website to do their registration I was rejected because I was over age 70. That's f'd up. I really needed the money.

I have never answered a jury notice. I just write "felon" on the notice, return it, and I never hear from them again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to risky biz on Wed Jun 7 05:37:15 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 1:56:46 AM UTC-5, risky biz wrote:

C

Yes, when I get to be a codger I can make a phone call and get out of jury duty also. 1 1/2 hour drive in rush hour traffic to get to criminal court yesterday. The cloaca of the universe. Bad enough, but then they put me on a bus to go to the west
    loop to family violence court. One of the white sheriff's busses I usually see people riding in to do their community service.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Jun 7 05:46:49 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 3:54:43 AM UTC-5, Paul Popinjay wrote:

C
    I have never answered a jury notice. I just write "felon" on the notice, return it, and I never hear from them again.

Are we not promised a jury of our peers? I got there early and lined up with all the rest of the schlubs to go through security. I pulled out my phone and was reading a long article on semaglutides and terzepatides when I hear a guy next to me talking
    to himself. I raise my head and look over. He's reading an old paperback. Aloud. So I get to hear a stirring reading of "Dirty Harry Death On The Docks" while in line. Moving stuff. The irony of reading a Dirty Harry novel on the way to jury duty
    at a criminal court is not lost on me. It probably was on him.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to risky biz on Wed Jun 7 07:10:48 2023

C
    I believe you'll find you had the option to serve or not. At least that's what they told me when I phoned in.
    "Over 70? You're choice"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BTSinAustin@21:1/5 to C Mayhem on Wed Jun 7 08:04:21 2023
    On Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 2:52:52 PM UTC-4, C Mayhem wrote:

C

I got on a civil jury 30 some years ago, 8 days at 8 bucks a day, woo hoo. I know more about septic systems than I should having never had one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to risky biz on Wed Jun 7 07:24:32 2023

C

I was a juror twice. After I illegally gained a guilty verdict, I wrote this letter to the local paper:

_________

THE NEED FOR PROFESSIONAL JURIES

February 1, 2002
    To the Editor

Your editorial, “Reforming jury service” (Feb. 1) doesn’t go far enough in correcting the problems of juries. What we need are professional juries.

Years ago, a Los Angeles Homicide Detective I worked with polled a jury after they found his suspect not guilty. One elderly juror said of the suspect, "He is such a nice-looking young man, I'm sure he couldn't have murdered anybody.”

Regardless of what the judge tells a jury, regardless of the instructions, those 12 people make a final decision. And there are too many instances of bad jury decisions. Often, it's a decision reached through ignorance. Any prosecutor can tell you horror
    stories about unqualified juries. Look at some examples of bad jury decisions:

After the O.J. Simpson trial, one juror said she figured Simpson was guilty but Mark Fuhrman confused her. Another said the trial had nothing to do with spouse abuse and a third couldn't name a single witness. On their written statements, 3/4 of them
    believed Simpson was unlikely to murder because he excelled at football.

Lyle and Erik Menendez, who admitted shot-gunning their parents to death, were reprieved by hung juries. But that wasn't the only problem with that jury. A group of the female jurors suggested that homophobia and sexism influenced the deliberations. "It
    was hostile in there," said one female juror, "There were insults, sexual comments and they tried to out shout us. We were called ignorant asses and empty-headed and 'those women,'" said another juror.

I’ve been a juror couple of times myself, and once I was able to tamper with my fellow jurors. As is normal when new jurors enter the jury room, everyone looks to others for what to do. "Someone has to be Jury Foreman," I said. Everyone looked to
    everyone else. "I've been a juror before,” I said, “if no one wants to be Forman, I will." Eleven other strangers jumped at the chance to avert this unknown responsibility.

During deadlock, when the judge again sent us back to reach a verdict, I intentionally mislead my fellow jurors and told them, "The judge couldn't tell us out loud, but during deadlocked we can use the Majority Rules method to reach a verdict." That
    convinced our two holdouts.

This sloppy jury system is scary. With the strict rules controlling the courts, the verdict should not be dropped in the hands of 12 people uneducated in the fundamentals of jury responsibility. The innocent can be convicted; the guilty set free.

/s

When Doctors are being questioned, it done by a medical board, all doctors
    For lawyers, it's the Bar. All lawyers.
    Crooked CPA, Real-estate, etc.; all in the profession

It used to be cops were brought before a board of cops. BLM says it's bias. So now you have civilian boards that don't know
    shit about law enforcement making idiot decisions. Look what they did to Officer Chauvin? "Arrest the cop and not the bad guy."
    So cops are just not making arrests..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Wed Jun 7 10:54:34 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 7:24:37 AM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

What we need are professional juries.

You're a fucking asshole.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bradley K. Sherman@21:1/5 to paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net on Wed Jun 7 18:13:44 2023
    Paul Popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Juries are doing just fine. They told nutjob Trumpling John Durham
    that he was full of shit, and they found Trump guilty of sexual abuse.

--bks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to Bradley K. Sherman on Wed Jun 7 11:25:30 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:13:50 AM UTC-7, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
    Paul Popinjay <paulpo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

--bks

Wasn't there a difference between a Jury and a Grand Jury?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bradley K. Sherman@21:1/5 to jerryst@cox.net on Wed Jun 7 18:35:54 2023
    VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net> wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:13:50 AM UTC-7, Bradley K. Sherman wrote: >> Paul Popinjay <paulpo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Not talking about Grand Juries. E.g.
    |
    | The Danchenko verdict is the latest setback for the
    | Trump-appointed special counsel's investigation into the
    | FBI and Russia inquiry.
    | ... <https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/18/danchenko-acquitted-on-all-counts-in-durham-russia-probe-00062380>

--bks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to risky biz on Wed Jun 7 12:12:42 2023

C

Looking for more microstakes buy-ins, eh?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Jun 7 12:21:14 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 1:54:43 AM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

C

Bad news Paul, as of 2020, being a felon doesn't disqualify you from Jury service. You can maybe whine and say you have no transportation...or you have a physical or mental incapacity or say you aren't a citizen, but other than that you can serve.
    Even police can serve on juries, though most likely they'll be put on a civil trial which are boring as hell. And, other cheap tricks don't work. I once wrote "I think everyone is guilty" on my summons and they found that not too amusing and instead
    sent a subpoena.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Wed Jun 7 12:22:25 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 7:10:53 AM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

C
    I believe you'll find you had the option to serve or not. At least that's what they told me when I phoned in.
    "Over 70? You're choice"

Ya, the thinking is about 50% of people over the age of 70 have lost enough mental capacity that they shouldn't serve and/or are in various stages of dementia.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Wed Jun 7 12:27:15 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:25:36 AM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

--bks

A Grand Jury is used to indict people for anything at all. The defense is not allowed to present any evidence or even object to shit. A prosecutor just shows up, points a finger, and the Jury indicts him. It's often used as cover for political attacks.
    A regular jury isn't indicting anyone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Jun 7 12:24:37 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 10:54:38 AM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

We don't need professional juries like we don't need Grand juries. We already have enough Judge Dredd types in the police forces who don't really care if you committed the crime they accuse you of because the odds are you are guilty of something that
    you got away with, so you still deserve to be in cuffs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to jack roth on Wed Jun 7 12:44:19 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:21:18 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

Bad news Paul, as of 2020, being a felon doesn't disqualify you from Jury service.

That is bad news.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Jun 7 13:01:06 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:44:22 PM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

Bad news Paul, as of 2020, being a felon doesn't disqualify you from Jury service.
    That is bad news.

Paul, you can always relocate to Los Angeles. You'd have to be a cop to get charged with a crime down here these days.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Wed Jun 7 16:24:38 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:22:28 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

C
    "Over 70? You're choice"
    Ya, the thinking is about 50% of people over the age of 70 have lost enough mental capacity that
    they shouldn't serve and/or are in various stages of dementia.

No. As usual you make up bullshit and you're wrong here, too.
    (You could be asked to 'Show,' be we know you *** Can't show ***)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Wed Jun 7 16:30:34 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:27:19 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:25:36 AM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

--bks
    A Grand Jury is used to indict people for anything at all.

See? See how stupid you prove yourself to be? How does that not bother you?

"The job of a grand jury is to make a decision on
    whether the state has provided enough evidence
    to proceed with a criminal trial against a defendant."

Do you even feel your bitch-slapping?

The defense is not allowed to present any evidence or even object to shit. A prosecutor just shows up, points a finger, and the Jury indicts him. It's often used as cover for political attacks. A regular jury isn't indicting anyone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Wed Jun 7 16:26:42 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:24:41 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 10:54:38 AM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

We don't need professional juries ...

Yet I provided a list of just that...

Can you even fucking read?

like we don't need Grand juries. We already have enough Judge Dredd types in the police forces who don't really care if you committed the crime they accuse you of because the odds are you are guilty of something that you got away with, so you still
    deserve to be in cuffs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Wed Jun 7 16:34:25 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 1:01:10 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

That is bad news.
    Paul, you can always relocate to Los Angeles. You'd have to be a cop to get charged with a crime down here these days.

See?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Jun 7 16:33:53 2023

That is bad news.

No, it's not Paul. We've repeatedly show this fool to simply make up shit and puke it out as fact.

"You cannot serve on a jury if: You have been convicted
    of a felony or of any type of theft (unless rights have been
    restored) You are now on probation or deferred adjudication
    for a felony or for any type of theft; or. You are now under
    indictment for a felony or are now under criminal charges
    for any type of theft."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to jack roth on Wed Jun 7 18:14:05 2023

Jack, I'm from Los Angeles. I moved up here later as an adult. I have not been down there in at least ten years. I cannot imagine how bad it must be by now. When I was young, it really wasn't that bad. Now I think it's like a bad movie. By the way,
    I cut my teeth in the clubs of Gardena. Frequented all three race tracks, well, four when you consider Pomona. And then when in my 20s, I discovered poker in San Diego. It was heaven. Literally 50 or so card rooms, mostly lowball, some high draw.
    Collection could not exceed $2.50 per hour. If you're a lowball player, some day I will tell you how unique the game was down there. Completely different rules, MUST bet an 8.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Jun 7 20:23:23 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 6:14:08 PM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

Jack, I'm from Los Angeles. I moved up here later as an adult. I have not been down there in at least ten years. I cannot imagine how bad it must be by now. When I was young, it really wasn't that bad. Now I think it's like a bad movie. By the way, I
    cut my teeth in the clubs of Gardena. Frequented all three race tracks, well, four when you consider Pomona. And then when in my 20s, I discovered poker in San Diego. It was heaven. Literally 50 or so card rooms, mostly lowball, some high draw.
    Collection could not exceed $2.50 per hour. If you're a lowball player, some day I will tell you how unique the game was down there. Completely different rules, MUST bet an 8.

Ya, I'm sure you and my dad had a few conversations at the table or track over the years. I played Lowball at Commerce right before they got rid of it. It turned into MUST bet a seven. I can date myself at Commerce with the red 25c chips.
    And, things only got really superbad since around Newsom becoming governor....Gascon has what had made things hell in LA so only in the last few years did it get outright insane....and that fentanyl coming up from Mexico with no protected border is
    making everyone do fentanyl for $4/gram here and now nobody is doing heroin. It's crazy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Wed Jun 7 20:17:25 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 4:24:41 PM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

C
    "Over 70? You're choice"
    Ya, the thinking is about 50% of people over the age of 70 have lost enough mental capacity that

Extreme disrespectful FUCK YOU Jerry...this is actual training that is out there. TOTAL DISRESPECT FOR YOU.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to jack roth on Thu Jun 8 02:11:44 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 8:23:26 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

Ya, I'm sure you and my dad had a few conversations at the table or track over the years. I played Lowball at Commerce right before they got rid of it. It turned into MUST bet a seven. I can date myself at Commerce with the red 25c chips.

Lowball has always been bet-a-7, except for the rare games that allowed check-raise, usually NL. But San Diego had a unique game, bet-an-8, and they played with "buttons". When you blind kill it, (it may have been look-at-2, I forget) you get a button.
    When the buttons are gone, those not having a button must kill on the next hand. Like I said, it was weird, and unique.

I am pretty sure I still have some red 25-cent and blue dollars from Commerce, they were clay Top Hat & Cane chips. If I have some, they are warped from years of heat in my glove compartment.

My last days of lowball were not really that long ago. I played regularly at Normandy in the late 90s and early 2000s. We played $15 Blind every day and usually $20-$40 on Fridays and weekends. At that time, there was still a regular $30-60 at
    Commerce. Also at that time I took trips to Emeryville for the Straight $20 and Straight $60 on Fridays. Sacramento was one of the last hold-outs, that and Lodi, not legalizing hold'em and still playing lowball. It's all gone now, I'm sure.

Did you ever play Pan?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Thu Jun 8 08:06:32 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 2:11:48 AM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

Lowball has always been bet-a-7, except for the rare games that allowed check-raise, usually NL. But San Diego had a unique game, bet-an-8, and they played with "buttons". When you blind kill it, (it may have been look-at-2, I forget) you get a button.
    When the buttons are gone, those not having a button must kill on the next hand. Like I said, it was weird, and unique.

I am pretty sure I still have some red 25-cent and blue dollars from Commerce, they were clay Top Hat & Cane chips. If I have some, they are warped from years of heat in my glove compartment.

My last days of lowball were not really that long ago. I played regularly at Normandy in the late 90s and early 2000s. We played $15 Blind every day and usually $20-$40 on Fridays and weekends. At that time, there was still a regular $30-60 at Commerce.
    Also at that time I took trips to Emeryville for the Straight $20 and Straight $60 on Fridays. Sacramento was one of the last hold-outs, that and Lodi, not legalizing hold'em and still playing lowball. It's all gone now, I'm sure.

Did you ever play Pan?

Ya know I remember some "Top of the Vine" and "Huntington Club" chips my dad had...wouldn't mind having them as I have a big glass container with chips from many places.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Thu Jun 8 08:05:16 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 2:11:48 AM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:

My last days of lowball were not really that long ago. I played regularly at Normandy in the late 90s and early 2000s. We played $15 Blind every day and usually $20-$40 on Fridays and weekends. At that time, there was still a regular $30-60 at Commerce.
    Also at that time I took trips to Emeryville for the Straight $20 and Straight $60 on Fridays. Sacramento was one of the last hold-outs, that and Lodi, not legalizing hold'em and still playing lowball. It's all gone now, I'm sure.

Did you ever play Pan?

I've seen all the old jewish women at commerce playing pan back in the day....think that's the game they were playing. I guess it's possible lowball was still going for a while, but I'd can't remember the last decade I saw it on the board at Commerce.
    I played at the Oaks(I think was in Emerywille) and the hold'em seemed pretty soft compared to Commerce...later was told by Bay Area players how that was the toughest game in the Bay. I've played at Bay101, Casino San Pablo, and some bowling alley
    in maybe Pleasantville in the Bay. Bay101 had a pretty good $20-40HE game with a $2 drop. You sure don't see a $2 drop anymore.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Thu Jun 8 10:43:10 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 8:17:28 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 4:24:41 PM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

C
    "Over 70? You're choice"
    Extreme disrespectful FUCK YOU Jerry...this is actual training that is out there. TOTAL DISRESPECT FOR YOU.

*** KNEW YOU COULDN'T SHOW ***

Show or quit wasting my fucking time...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to jack roth on Thu Jun 8 10:27:57 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 8:06:36 AM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

Ya know I remember some "Top of the Vine" and "Huntington Club" chips my dad had...wouldn't mind having them as I have a big glass container with chips from many places.

I never actually stopped at Top of the Vine, but I remember it from the many times I went over the hill. And I knew employees who later ended up in Bakersfield. Gosh, it seems like I must have still been in my 30s. My hair is completely gray now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Thu Jun 8 13:20:53 2023

C

~ I believe you'll find you had the option to serve or not. At least that's what they told me when I phoned in.
    "Over 70? You're choice"

I think you misunderstood them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to risky biz on Thu Jun 8 16:11:35 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 1:20:58 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

C
    ~ I believe you'll find you had the option to serve or not. At least that's what they told me when I phoned in.
    "Over 70? You're choice"

No. They also said it on a document they sent the next time I was summoned:

"Jurors over the age of 70 may request to be excused without documentation. If you are a juror in this situation,
    please fill out your juror questionnaire and indicate that you would like to be excused due to age. Once the
    questionnaire is received by Jury Administration, you will be excused."

https://clark.wa.gov/superior-court/excusing/postponing-jury-service

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Thu Jun 8 17:13:02 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 4:11:38 PM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 1:20:58 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

C
    "Over 70? You're choice"

~ No. They also said it on a document they sent the next time I was summoned:

"Jurors over the age of 70 may request to be excused without documentation. If you are a juror in this situation,
    please fill out your juror questionnaire and indicate that you would like to be excused due to age. Once the
    questionnaire is received by Jury Administration, you will be excused."

https://clark.wa.gov/superior-court/excusing/postponing-jury-service

That may be the case technically but not practically. When someone over the age of 70 attempts to register it is rejected. When I called to ask why they told me flat out that it was because of my age.

Figure it out. Defense attorneys will preemptively exclude persons of that age in criminal cases. It's a waste of the court's time to have you come in to only be preempted by the defense attorney.

Civil cases may differ.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to BTSinAustin on Wed Jun 14 13:08:29 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 10:04:26 AM UTC-5, BTSinAustin wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 2:52:52 PM UTC-4, C Mayhem wrote:

C
    I got on a civil jury 30 some years ago, 8 days at 8 bucks a day, woo hoo. I know more about septic systems than I should having never had one.

My first Jury was in the 80s. I think the pay $11 per day and you sat in that waiting room for 2 weeks unless you got on a trial. Feckin insane unless you were lucky enough to work for someone who paid you for that time. We're down to 1 day or even
    just a call for standby. And many trials down to a day as well.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05