• Pickle Ping

From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 26 15:13:36 2023
    Well, this is gonna be a mess, being I’m drugged up….

It has to do with high-power, high-frequency and the old adage, “You shouldn’t get a lot of unnecessary x-rays, or stand in front of a radar transmitter, or hold you phone next to your head, or climb into a microwave; It might cause cancer.”

I’ve probably had my maximum dosage by now. When I was a kid, shoe stores had those x-ray devices where you slipped your feet into the holes in the bottom, then look in the top and could see a live x-ray of your feet in the new shoes, to see where your
    toes fit. (With an attached sign, something like, “You probably shouldn’t spend a lot of time doing this”). I’ve had live x-rays during Barium tests. I got a lot of dental x-rays. Obtained a 1st Class FCC license with Ship Radar Endorsement,
    exposing me to a lot of, “Hey, don’t stand in front of that antenna!” Built a couple of radio transmitters. And my following question is about an experimental switching station and its high frequency capabilities.

I have CLL, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Who knows what caused it. I’d like to blame the government..

I was controller (non-financial title, actually Operator); a government employee for the installation of an experimental, SF-6 (sulfur hexafluoride) high-voltage (500kv) switching station for The Bonneville Power Administration (BPA).

The increase electrical usage of big cities, and the increase of backbone grid voltages to 500kv and one million voltages, require high voltage power lines to come into the city. The air insulation space between each of the three phases are usually over
    12 feet. These multi-lined substations require lots of very expensive acreages.

Enter the SF-6 substation. My 5-position (line) substation that fits indoors and only uses the space of two tennis courts. SF-6 is a good dielectric insulating material; insolation space of 8-inches, rather than open space of 12-feet.

So BPA (my governmental agency with lots of money) decides to build an experimental 500kv, SF-6 substation. Some of the equipment was Swedish (ABB), proprietary and expensive (there engineers are better than ours). When SF-6 vents (explodes) it’s
    poisonous. No state wanted it. So Montana, being politically the weakest, was ‘picked.’ So they said, “Okay, you can build it in the middle of nowhere.” So high in the Bitterroot Mountain Range it is. (An area called Taft, just off Interstate 90,
    about 20-miles east of Wallace Idaho).

Anyway, we built the station and put it online about 1985. (links to pictures on request). But I’ve heard nothing about new high voltage SF-6 substations since. Why? Was there something “unusual” in this ‘experimental’ station?

Unusual happenings during construction and putting it on line.

During switching (dropping sections of bus or switches) the opening caused lots of arcing. This is not unusual in open air stations where we drop sections of bus or large capacitor banks. It’s usually a horizontal switch and an 8 to 12 foot, 120 cycle
    ark would form as the switch opened, before extinguishing itself. Reminiscent of a Tesla coil arc.

But these arcs seem to be high frequency. On occasion, when I was standing next to the bus conduit. One-foot-long arcs would jump a ground bus. (One by three-inch busbar grounding the conduit to the elevated platform). Why did the arc jump around the
    ground bus?

‘Call the engineers in Vancouver and ABB.’ They helicopter to Taft to see it themselves. They were behind me, observing, when it happened, I turned to find them backing up. “Uh, we’ll get back to you. Meanwhile, don’t be on this platform when
    that happens.” That turned out to be the finding and solution.

There was an occasion (long hours) when I switched at night. One of the construction workers came running in. “The whole chain link fence surrounding this place lit up like a Christmas tree!” I went out and had someone else push the button. Wow. New
    rule: “When switching, notify everybody over the speaker system. ‘Don’t touch the fence, stand in place with your feet together.’” (Step Potential. As in a lighting storm, keep your feet together to prevent ground current from going up one leg
    and down the other). (Burn your nuts off?).

There was no trouble when operating high-speed grounds. The 265 miles of double 500kv lines (6 cables on single towers) has a lot of inductive reactance. When dropping a single phase, or all three phases, the ‘dead’ line still has about 300kv. So
    when a phase or line relays, ground switches close at each end to put out the arc, then reopen, then the line tests. About .003 of a second. Supposedly within a cycle. (Take time and my memory into account).

My interest lies in the frequency of the restrikes when dropping a 500kv bus. (Understanding the voltage to ground is the square root of 3 of 500kv). Could the frequency be really high? Would the high voltage increase the ‘danger’ of (possible)
    microwaves? Do any of the others have CLL? Is there a cancer cluster? Is the government hiding anything? (No conspiracy theories, please).

Of course, the use the of SF-6 could be:

It’s hazardous… When an arc is formed in SF6 gas, small quantities of lower order gases are formed… SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas known… It’s 23,500 times more effective at trapping infrared radiation than an equivalent amount of CO2
    and stays in the atmosphere for 3,200 years… In 2022, the European Commission proposed that SF6 should be banned from most new electrical equipment as early as 2026 for switchgear up to 24kV and for higher voltages by 2031, as part of its broader F-gas
    reduction plans… Etc…

Anyway; when I saw your expertise, I thought you might know something. (As in, microwave propagation, etc.).

Jerry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Fri May 26 21:16:25 2023
    ~ On Friday, May 26, 2023 at 3:13:39 PM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

Anyway; when I saw your expertise, I thought you might know something. (As in, microwave propagation, etc.).

Jerry

Try to focus on this on your next two-week cruise, Pickle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to risky biz on Fri May 26 22:30:10 2023
    On Friday, May 26, 2023 at 9:16:28 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

Jerry

Is he still taking those transitioning drugs? I thought he'd get it chopped off by now so you two could consummate your marraige.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From da pickle@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Sat May 27 10:11:11 2023
    On 5/26/2023 5:13 PM, VegasJerry wrote:

It has to do with high-power, high-frequency and the old adage, “You shouldn’t get a lot of unnecessary x-rays, or stand in front of a radar transmitter, or hold you phone next to your head, or climb into a microwave; It might cause cancer.”

I’ve probably had my maximum dosage by now. When I was a kid, shoe stores had those x-ray devices where you slipped your feet into the holes in the bottom, then look in the top and could see a live x-ray of your feet in the new shoes, to see where
    your toes fit. (With an attached sign, something like, “You probably shouldn’t spend a lot of time doing this”). I’ve had live x-rays during Barium tests. I got a lot of dental x-rays. Obtained a 1st Class FCC license with Ship Radar Endorsement,
    exposing me to a lot of, “Hey, don’t stand in front of that antenna!” Built a couple of radio transmitters. And my following question is about an experimental switching station and its high frequency capabilities.

I have CLL, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Who knows what caused it. I’d like to blame the government..

I was controller (non-financial title, actually Operator); a government employee for the installation of an experimental, SF-6 (sulfur hexafluoride) high-voltage (500kv) switching station for The Bonneville Power Administration (BPA).

The increase electrical usage of big cities, and the increase of backbone grid voltages to 500kv and one million voltages, require high voltage power lines to come into the city. The air insulation space between each of the three phases are usually
    over 12 feet. These multi-lined substations require lots of very expensive acreages.

Enter the SF-6 substation. My 5-position (line) substation that fits indoors and only uses the space of two tennis courts. SF-6 is a good dielectric insulating material; insolation space of 8-inches, rather than open space of 12-feet.

So BPA (my governmental agency with lots of money) decides to build an experimental 500kv, SF-6 substation. Some of the equipment was Swedish (ABB), proprietary and expensive (there engineers are better than ours). When SF-6 vents (explodes) it’s
    poisonous. No state wanted it. So Montana, being politically the weakest, was ‘picked.’ So they said, “Okay, you can build it in the middle of nowhere.” So high in the Bitterroot Mountain Range it is. (An area called Taft, just off Interstate 90,

Anyway, we built the station and put it online about 1985. (links to pictures on request). But I’ve heard nothing about new high voltage SF-6 substations since. Why? Was there something “unusual” in this ‘experimental’ station?

During switching (dropping sections of bus or switches) the opening caused lots of arcing. This is not unusual in open air stations where we drop sections of bus or large capacitor banks. It’s usually a horizontal switch and an 8 to 12 foot, 120
    cycle ark would form as the switch opened, before extinguishing itself. Reminiscent of a Tesla coil arc.

But these arcs seem to be high frequency. On occasion, when I was standing next to the bus conduit. One-foot-long arcs would jump a ground bus. (One by three-inch busbar grounding the conduit to the elevated platform). Why did the arc jump around the
    ground bus?

‘Call the engineers in Vancouver and ABB.’ They helicopter to Taft to see it themselves. They were behind me, observing, when it happened, I turned to find them backing up. “Uh, we’ll get back to you. Meanwhile, don’t be on this platform when
    that happens.” That turned out to be the finding and solution.

There was an occasion (long hours) when I switched at night. One of the construction workers came running in. “The whole chain link fence surrounding this place lit up like a Christmas tree!” I went out and had someone else push the button. Wow.
    New rule: “When switching, notify everybody over the speaker system. ‘Don’t touch the fence, stand in place with your feet together.’” (Step Potential. As in a lighting storm, keep your feet together to prevent ground current from going up one
    leg and down the other). (Burn your nuts off?).

There was no trouble when operating high-speed grounds. The 265 miles of double 500kv lines (6 cables on single towers) has a lot of inductive reactance. When dropping a single phase, or all three phases, the ‘dead’ line still has about 300kv. So
    when a phase or line relays, ground switches close at each end to put out the arc, then reopen, then the line tests. About .003 of a second. Supposedly within a cycle. (Take time and my memory into account).

My interest lies in the frequency of the restrikes when dropping a 500kv bus. (Understanding the voltage to ground is the square root of 3 of 500kv). Could the frequency be really high? Would the high voltage increase the ‘danger’ of (possible)
    microwaves? Do any of the others have CLL? Is there a cancer cluster? Is the government hiding anything? (No conspiracy theories, please).

It’s hazardous… When an arc is formed in SF6 gas, small quantities of lower order gases are formed… SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas known… It’s 23,500 times more effective at trapping infrared radiation than an equivalent amount of CO2
    and stays in the atmosphere for 3,200 years… In 2022, the European Commission proposed that SF6 should be banned from most new electrical equipment as early as 2026 for switchgear up to 24kV and for higher voltages by 2031, as part of its broader F-gas
    reduction plans… Etc…

Jerry

My only serious "microwave" experience was with one of the engineers at
    GE (Rome, NY) who worked with their early attempts at microwave ovens.
    [His early try involved an can of soup that exploded their model.] [He
    was a fantastic guy that was extremely talented at "new stuff that has
    not ever been done".] When I applied for my professional engineering
    license, I ask if he would be one of my sponsors ... but he said he had
    no professional license ... wow. [He also was instrumental in their
    attempts to create color movie projection using weird stuff ...
    unsuccessful but quite creative. We could "detect" all sorts of things
    inside closed buildings, but when asked to take picture of the things, I
    had to bow out.

So, I could say I "knew" "some" "thing" about some things in the past,
    but I am not sure I know anything that might help your current
    situation. Be careful and get better and have a great life.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to jack roth on Sat May 27 10:25:36 2023
    On Friday, May 26, 2023 at 10:30:13 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

Jerry

~ Is he still taking those transitioning drugs? I thought he'd get it chopped off by now so you two could consummate your marraige.

Resentfulness rots the brain.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to risky biz on Sat May 27 11:53:04 2023
    On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 10:25:40 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

Jerry

~ Is he still taking those transitioning drugs? I thought he'd get it chopped off by now so you two could consummate your marraige.

So, you know this from personal experience or did you and Jerry discuss it during your circle jerk?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to da pickle on Sat May 27 13:54:44 2023
    On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 8:13:09 AM UTC-7, da pickle wrote:
    On 5/26/2023 5:13 PM, VegasJerry wrote:

I’ve probably had my maximum dosage by now. When I was a kid, shoe stores had those x-ray devices where you slipped your feet into the holes in the bottom, then look in the top and could see a live x-ray of your feet in the new shoes, to see where
    your toes fit. (With an attached sign, something like, “You probably shouldn’t spend a lot of time doing this”). I’ve had live x-rays during Barium tests. I got a lot of dental x-rays. Obtained a 1st Class FCC license with Ship Radar Endorsement,

The increase electrical usage of big cities, and the increase of backbone grid voltages to 500kv and one million voltages, require high voltage power lines to come into the city. The air insulation space between each of the three phases are usually
    over 12 feet. These multi-lined substations require lots of very expensive acreages.

During switching (dropping sections of bus or switches) the opening caused lots of arcing. This is not unusual in open air stations where we drop sections of bus or large capacitor banks. It’s usually a horizontal switch and an 8 to 12 foot, 120
    cycle ark would form as the switch opened, before extinguishing itself. Reminiscent of a Tesla coil arc.

ground bus?

‘Call the engineers in Vancouver and ABB.’ They helicopter to Taft to see it themselves. They were behind me, observing, when it happened, I turned to find them backing up. “Uh, we’ll get back to you. Meanwhile, don’t be on this platform
    when that happens.” That turned out to be the finding and solution.

There was an occasion (long hours) when I switched at night. One of the construction workers came running in. “The whole chain link fence surrounding this place lit up like a Christmas tree!” I went out and had someone else push the button. Wow.
    New rule: “When switching, notify everybody over the speaker system. ‘Don’t touch the fence, stand in place with your feet together.’” (Step Potential. As in a lighting storm, keep your feet together to prevent ground current from going up one
    leg and down the other). (Burn your nuts off?).

It’s hazardous… When an arc is formed in SF6 gas, small quantities of lower order gases are formed… SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas known… It’s 23,500 times more effective at trapping infrared radiation than an equivalent amount of
    CO2 and stays in the atmosphere for 3,200 years… In 2022, the European Commission proposed that SF6 should be banned from most new electrical equipment as early as 2026 for switchgear up to 24kV and for higher voltages by 2031, as part of its broader F-
    gas reduction plans… Etc…

Jerry
    My only serious "microwave" experience was with one of the engineers at
    GE (Rome, NY) who worked with their early attempts at microwave ovens.
    [His early try involved an can of soup that exploded their model.] [He
    was a fantastic guy that was extremely talented at "new stuff that has
    not ever been done".] When I applied for my professional engineering license, I ask if he would be one of my sponsors ... but he said he had
    no professional license ... wow. [He also was instrumental in their
    attempts to create color movie projection using weird stuff ...
    unsuccessful but quite creative. We could "detect" all sorts of things inside closed buildings, but when asked to take picture of the things, I
    had to bow out.

So, I could say I "knew" "some" "thing" about some things in the past,
    but I am not sure I know anything that might help your current
    situation. Be careful and get better and have a great life.

Because part of the equipment was ABB and we were asked by then not to discuss data, it’s probably buried. Although the size of the equipment being deenergized under these circumstances wouldn’t be equipment based.

Another problem with encased SF-6, the insolation qualities break down at -40 degrees. They lowest we got there was -32. Even then, it was withing the structure. Then there’s the environment thing…

Anyway, thanks for looking..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to jack roth on Sat May 27 23:35:02 2023
    On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:53:08 AM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

Jerry

~ So, you know this from personal experience or did you and Jerry discuss it during your circle jerk?

Wow. Guess what? You're the jerk-off.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to risky biz on Sun May 28 00:35:37 2023
    On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:35:05 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

Jerry

~ So, you know this from personal experience or did you and Jerry discuss it during your circle jerk?

Sounds like I'm right over the target with my last comment. Sounds like I hit a button. What do all the Neocons like saying..."right over the target".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From risky biz@21:1/5 to jack roth on Sun May 28 00:53:55 2023
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 12:35:41 AM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:

Well, this is gonna be a mess, being I’m drugged up…. Anyway; when I saw your expertise, I thought you might know something. (As in, microwave propagation, etc.).

Jerry

Sounds like I'm right over the target with my last comment. Sounds like I hit a button. What do all the Neocons like saying..."right over the target".

I used to think you just had a slightly goofy personality. Now I realize it's really goofy and you have a low IQ.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to risky biz on Sun May 28 03:27:17 2023
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 12:53:58 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

Well, this is gonna be a mess, being I’m drugged up…. Anyway; when I saw your expertise, I thought you might know something. (As in, microwave propagation, etc.).

Jerry

I used to think you just had a slightly goofy personality. Now I realize it's really goofy and you have a low IQ.

Ya, that's it...low IQ....whatever you gotta tell yourself to massage your bruised ego. LOL.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Sun May 28 10:53:07 2023

Jerry

Sounds like I'm right over the target with my last comment.

Only to you, idiot.

Sounds like I hit a button.

Only to you, idiot.

What do all the Neocons like saying..."right over the target".

Yet you weren't and you can't show that you were.
    Just like you couldn't show anything in all those other posts you ran from.
    So run from this one, too, fucking coward...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jack roth@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Sun May 28 17:22:10 2023
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 10:53:10 AM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

Jerry

Only to you, idiot.

Only to you, idiot.

Just like you couldn't show anything in all those other posts you ran from. So run from this one, too, fucking coward...

What's most hilarious is that I'm trolling Jerry and Risky so hard, they have to start defending each other. LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to jack roth on Mon May 29 10:33:58 2023
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 5:22:14 PM UTC-7, jack roth wrote:
    On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 10:53:10 AM UTC-7, VegasJerry wrote:

Jerry

Only to you, idiot.

Only to you, idiot.

Just like you couldn't show anything in all those other posts you ran from.
    So run from this one, too, fucking coward...

What's most hilarious is that I'm ....

Still unable to answer, show, link, or reply.
    We've proved you a fucking loser. Now run away again, loser...

trolling Jerry and Risky so hard, they have to start defending each other. LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05