• Busnesses and jobs flee Portland

From risky biz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 8 22:31:46 2023
    Cover your eyes, Jerry- Fox.

'Walmart Set to Close All Stores in Portland amid Record-Breaking Retail Theft

The closures, which will result in nearly 600 employees being laid off, come after a statement by Walmart CEO Doug McMillion in December 2022 noting that record-breaking retail theft had undercut the company’s economic performance of late.

“Theft is an issue. It’s higher than what it has historically been,” McMillon told CNBC. Prices “will be higher and/or stores will close,” the executive added if Oregon authorities failed to address rampant shoplifting.

Companies shuttering stores in Portland has become increasingly common. Last year a clothing store, Raind PDX, shut down operations with the company specifically citing the cost of doing business in the wake of historic retail theft.

“Small businesses (and large) cannot sustain doing business, in our city’s current state. We have no protection, or recourse, against the criminal behavior that goes unpunished,” a letter posted on the company’s store read. “Our city is in
    peril.”

In a similar vein, Nike and Cracker Barrel locations closed in 2022 with companies citing similar reasons.

“We consider many factors, including current and projected financial performance, location, population, customer needs, and the proximity of other nearby stores when making these difficult decisions. Our focus right now is taking care of our associates
    during this transition and working with our customers to transition their pharmacy, and other, shopping needs to nearby stores,” a spokesperson told Fox News Digital.'
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news/walmart-set-to-close-all-stores-in-portland-amid-record-breaking-retail-theft/?utm_source=recirc-&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=right-rail&utm_content=top-stories&utm_term=second

'Real estate developer and lifelong Portland, Oregon, native Dustin Michael Miller is saying goodbye to the city after walking into his office to discover bullet holes had penetrated the glass close to where he would normally sit while working.

"Alright Portland, I'm done with you. I'm over. This has gotta stop, OK?" he said in an Instagram reel Saturday. Miller panned the camera around to his desk, adding, "I work right here a lot during the day. Well, look what happened last night."

Bullet holes riddled the window over his shoulder, close to his desk.
    "It's gotta stop. Our city is out of control. It is unrecognizable. I've lived here my whole life, and it's just deteriorated over the last five years."
    Still, concerns over the interim period before Miller can flee is raising concerns for him as crime ravages the area in other ways.

"It's not uncommon to see homeless people running around the city with axes and machetes, and it's just a common thing that nobody does anything. You call the police, and it's very rare that they show up."
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/portland-real-estate-developer-goodbye-city-bullet-holes-riddle-office-absolute-madness

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to risky biz on Thu Mar 9 08:20:43 2023
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 10:31:50 PM UTC-8, risky biz wrote:
    Cover your eyes, Jerry- Fox.

'Walmart Set to Close All Stores in Portland amid Record-Breaking Retail Theft

What the fuck does this have to do with me?

And who's Jerry Fox?

(Are you still stinging from me showing you wrong?)
    (Are you into embarrassment dodging?)

The closures, which will result in nearly 600 employees being laid off, come after a statement by Walmart CEO Doug McMillion in December 2022 noting that record-breaking retail theft had undercut the company’s economic performance of late.

“Theft is an issue. It’s higher than what it has historically been,” McMillon told CNBC. Prices “will be higher and/or stores will close,” the executive added if Oregon authorities failed to address rampant shoplifting.

Companies shuttering stores in Portland has become increasingly common. Last year a clothing store, Raind PDX, shut down operations with the company specifically citing the cost of doing business in the wake of historic retail theft.

“Small businesses (and large) cannot sustain doing business, in our city’s current state. We have no protection, or recourse, against the criminal behavior that goes unpunished,” a letter posted on the company’s store read. “Our city is in
    peril.”

In a similar vein, Nike and Cracker Barrel locations closed in 2022 with companies citing similar reasons.

“We consider many factors, including current and projected financial performance, location, population, customer needs, and the proximity of other nearby stores when making these difficult decisions. Our focus right now is taking care of our
    associates during this transition and working with our customers to transition their pharmacy, and other, shopping needs to nearby stores,” a spokesperson told Fox News Digital.'
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news/walmart-set-to-close-all-stores-in-portland-amid-record-breaking-retail-theft/?utm_source=recirc-&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=right-rail&utm_content=top-stories&utm_term=second

'Real estate developer and lifelong Portland, Oregon, native Dustin Michael Miller is saying goodbye to the city after walking into his office to discover bullet holes had penetrated the glass close to where he would normally sit while working.

"Alright Portland, I'm done with you. I'm over. This has gotta stop, OK?" he said in an Instagram reel Saturday. Miller panned the camera around to his desk, adding, "I work right here a lot during the day. Well, look what happened last night."

Bullet holes riddled the window over his shoulder, close to his desk.
    "It's gotta stop. Our city is out of control. It is unrecognizable. I've lived here my whole life, and it's just deteriorated over the last five years."
    Still, concerns over the interim period before Miller can flee is raising concerns for him as crime ravages the area in other ways.

"It's not uncommon to see homeless people running around the city with axes and machetes, and it's just a common thing that nobody does anything. You call the police, and it's very rare that they show up."
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/portland-real-estate-developer-goodbye-city-bullet-holes-riddle-office-absolute-madness

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)