• Laverne and Shirley RIP

From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 30 19:16:17 2023
    Just 75. Young. This one bothered me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to paulpo...@sbcglobal.net on Tue Jan 31 11:03:42 2023
    On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 7:16:20 PM UTC-8, paulpo...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Anybody find out what she died from? They said she had a "Short illness."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Norfolk@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Tue Jan 31 12:31:51 2023
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 2:03:46 PM UTC-5, VegasJerry wrote:

Dwarfism?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From da pickle@21:1/5 to Tim Norfolk on Wed Feb 1 06:13:41 2023
    On 1/31/2023 2:31 PM, Tim Norfolk wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 2:03:46 PM UTC-5, VegasJerry wrote:

Dwarfism?

That is funny!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mossingen@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 6 01:07:55 2023
    "Paul Popinjay" wrote in message news:2bb49764-5eec-4895-95f2-12e469d9034fn@googlegroups.com...

My earliest memories of television are of watching Welcome Back Kotter and Laverne and Shirley.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to Mossingen on Mon Feb 6 02:43:49 2023
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 11:08:03 PM UTC-8, Mossingen wrote:

My earliest memories of television are of watching Welcome Back Kotter and Laverne and Shirley.

Kotter's wife is dead, Juan Epstein is dead, and Horshack is dead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From VegasJerry@21:1/5 to Mossingen on Mon Feb 6 12:06:48 2023
    "Paul Popinjay" wrote in message news:2bb49764-5eec-4895...@googlegroups.com...

Earliest memories were being the second family on the block to get TV. Eight-inch screen, black and white, one channel, Test pattern of an Indian, went off the air at 10pm, when you turned it off a little white dot would slowly disappear.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mossingen@21:1/5 to Mossingen on Mon Feb 6 17:31:35 2023
    "Paul Popinjay" wrote in message news:35dee0d6-1675-45fa-b270-2a9b4325f583n@googlegroups.com...

Jeez, paul, what a downer.

Another good one was The Night Stalker where the hapless reporter Karl
    Kolchak found vampires. I think they made that one into a series.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Norfolk@21:1/5 to Mossingen on Mon Feb 6 16:57:29 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 6:31:44 PM UTC-5, Mossingen wrote:
    "Paul Popinjay" wrote in message news:35dee0d6-1675-45fa...@googlegroups.com...

Another good one was The Night Stalker where the hapless reporter Karl Kolchak found vampires. I think they made that one into a series.

They did indeed. I saw a boxed set some time ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to Tim Norfolk on Tue Feb 7 12:30:04 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 6:57:33 PM UTC-6, Tim Norfolk wrote:

My earliest memories of television are of watching Welcome Back Kotter and
    Laverne and Shirley.

Kotter's wife is dead, Juan Epstein is dead, and Horshack is dead. __________

Another good one was The Night Stalker where the hapless reporter Karl Kolchak found vampires. I think they made that one into a series.

I loved that series. Karl Kolchack, Darren McGavin, was was a hard bitten, but rumpled and disreputable reporter working the gritty streets of Chicago. He discovered and killed a different monster every week. His boss was always screaming at him and
    telling him to ignore those crazy monster stories. Would have been a pretty boring series if he listened. You can still find it on cable tv. They also made a couple of movies, but I think they were set in Las Vegas or Los Angeles or something.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Norfolk@21:1/5 to drwhod...@gmail.com on Tue Feb 7 13:51:19 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 3:30:08 PM UTC-5, drwhod...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 6:57:33 PM UTC-6, Tim Norfolk wrote:

My earliest memories of television are of watching Welcome Back Kotter and
    Laverne and Shirley.

Kotter's wife is dead, Juan Epstein is dead, and Horshack is dead. __________

I loved that series. Karl Kolchack, Darren McGavin, was was a hard bitten, but rumpled and disreputable reporter working the gritty streets of Chicago. He discovered and killed a different monster every week. His boss was always screaming at him and
    telling him to ignore those crazy monster stories. Would have been a pretty boring series if he listened. You can still find it on cable tv. They also made a couple of movies, but I think they were set in Las Vegas or Los Angeles or something.

C

I remember the opening scene of the series 'The Outsider', where he drinks milk from a carton, which turns out to be spoilt.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to drwhod...@gmail.com on Tue Feb 7 15:58:34 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 12:30:08 PM UTC-8, drwhod...@gmail.com wrote:

C

I remember McGavin. I met him on some set he was doing when I was maybe 10 years old.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Popinjay@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Tue Feb 7 16:04:59 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 3:58:38 PM UTC-8, Paul Popinjay wrote:

C
    I remember McGavin. I met him on some set he was doing when I was maybe 10 years old.

I met James Garner the same way, I may have been a little older. And, of course, I lived next door to Elizabeth Montgomery when I was quite young. I was yelling nigger nigger at someone in the apartment complex and she wanted me to sit down and talk to
    her about why that was wrong. I thought it meant the same as booger. Anyway, I wouldn't talk to her because my parents told me not to talk to strangers. Dean Martin used to visit her. Yeah, he was fucking her. This was a long time ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Feb 8 12:52:26 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 6:05:02 PM UTC-6, Paul Popinjay wrote:

I loved that series. Karl Kolchack, Darren McGavin, was was a hard bitten, but rumpled and disreputable reporter working the gritty streets of Chicago. He discovered and killed a different monster every week. His boss was always screaming at him
    and telling him to ignore those crazy monster stories. Would have been a pretty boring series if he listened. You can still find it on cable tv. They also made a couple of movies, but I think they were set in Las Vegas or Los Angeles or something.

C
    I met James Garner the same way, I may have been a little older. And, of course, I lived next door to Elizabeth Montgomery when I was quite young. I was yelling nigger nigger at someone in the apartment complex and she wanted me to sit down and talk to
    her about why that was wrong. I thought it meant the same as booger. Anyway, I wouldn't talk to her because my parents told me not to talk to strangers. Dean Martin used to visit her. Yeah, he was fucking her. This was a long time ago.

I remember the Elizabeth Montgomery story. All she had to do was wiggle her nose to turn you into a toad. I remember my great aunts loved the Rockford Files.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to VegasJerry on Wed Feb 8 12:45:34 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 2:06:51 PM UTC-6, VegasJerry wrote:
    "Paul Popinjay" wrote in message news:2bb49764-5eec-4895...@googlegroups.com...

Earliest memories were being the second family on the block to get TV. Eight-inch screen, black and white, one channel, Test pattern of an Indian, went off the air at 10pm, when you turned it off a little white dot would slowly disappear.
    We were the first family on the block to use locking pliers to change the station.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Wed Feb 8 12:47:54 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 5:58:38 PM UTC-6, Paul Popinjay wrote:

C
    Pretty solid actor. Forever remembered for A Christmas Story. Bumpusses!

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From da pickle@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Thu Feb 9 07:13:29 2023
    On 2/7/2023 6:04 PM, Paul Popinjay wrote:

C

I met James Garner the same way, I may have been a little older. And, of course, I lived next door to Elizabeth Montgomery when I was quite young. I was yelling nigger nigger at someone in the apartment complex and she wanted me to sit down and talk
    to her about why that was wrong. I thought it meant the same as booger. Anyway, I wouldn't talk to her because my parents told me not to talk to strangers. Dean Martin used to visit her. Yeah, he was fucking her. This was a long time ago.

You are truly an exceptional person, Paul. You have lived an
    exceptional life ... so far ... keep it up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mossingen@21:1/5 to Paul Popinjay on Fri Feb 10 01:36:06 2023
    "Paul Popinjay" wrote in message news:4d5621c5-ea15-44d0-9465-7e5c8890dbb0n@googlegroups.com...

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 12:30:08 PM UTC-8, drwhod...@gmail.com
    wrote:

I loved that series. Karl Kolchack, Darren McGavin, was was a hard
    bitten, but rumpled and disreputable reporter working the gritty streets
    of Chicago. He discovered and killed a different monster every week. His boss was always screaming at him and telling him to ignore those crazy monster stories. Would have been a pretty boring series if he listened.
    You can still find it on cable tv. They also made a couple of movies,
    but I think they were set in Las Vegas or Los Angeles or something.

C

I met James Garner the same way, I may have been a little older. And, of course, I lived next door to Elizabeth Montgomery when I was quite young. I was yelling nigger nigger at someone in the apartment complex and she wanted
    me to sit down and talk to her about why that was wrong. I thought it meant the same as booger. Anyway, I wouldn't talk to her because my parents told
    me not to talk to strangers. Dean Martin used to visit her. Yeah, he was fucking her. This was a long time ago.

_________

I bet old Deano was getting all the pussy back then.

As an aside, I went down a YouTube wormhole last night of Patty Smith songs.
    I like "Because the Night" which she wrote along with Springsteen, but on
    the same album there is a frenetic song called "Rock and Roll Nigger."

She hung out with the artists and musicians in NYC back then, Dylan walking down the street and talking to him, and it occurred to me that such a
    maelstrom of artists, poets, musicians and the lot is likely to never get together again in such a way. The current social climate will not allow it
    for many years, and it may never happen in just that way again because of
    the internet if nothing else. That kind of raw original expression is
    forged in live person-to-person interaction, a rarity of the times.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mossingen@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 01:37:08 2023
    "C Mayhem" wrote in message news:073730df-2699-41a4-a7b0-ea3c249b17e0n@googlegroups.com...

We were the first family on the block to use locking pliers to change the station.

_________

OMG...I had to do this, too, when the knob broke off.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05