• Is this true?

From risky biz@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 24 13:34:33 2022
    We're ALL either poverty-stricken or perpetrators?

'Poverty, by America'
    By Matthew Desmond. From Crown.

The Pulitzer Prize–winning, bestselling author of Evicted reimagines the debate on poverty, making a new and bracing argument about why it persists in America: because the rest of us benefit from it.

The United States, the richest country on earth, has more poverty than any other advanced democracy. Why? Why does this land of plenty allow one in every eight of its children to go without basic necessities, permit scores of its citizens to live and die
    on the streets, and authorize its corporations to pay poverty wages?'

I had a conversation with a homeless black man recently. That's right. Unlike Blabbermouth I'm not afraid of black people. I was at the Palms and decided I wanted to go over to the Rio for a while then come back to the Palms. I decided to just walk the
    two blocks or so. A black guy about 25 years old approached me and started talking to me. That isn't unusual. Black people initiate conversations with me all the time but I was a little more circumspect considering that there was no one paying attention
    even though there was some street traffic and the guy was about 6'6" and looked physically capable. I could see he was homeless even though no bags, shopping cart, etc. So we had a general conversation. I did tense up a little at one point when he leaned
    in toward me, which he noticed and backed up. I talked to him for about 15+ minutes. To make a long story short he was a little goofy mentally but not mentally ill. I never asked if he was homeless but he apparently assumed that I assumed he was. HE
    VOLUNTEERED, 'I choose to live this way.' He didn't approach me initially to ask for money but he finally got very nervous and said he was really hungry without specifically requesting money. I gave him $5 which shocked him. He couldn't thank me enough.
    But I feel guilty about not giving him at least $15. I thought about that but I think I didn't because I have a thing about possibly getting duped. I don't think he was a drug user. He told me he was going to get something to eat right away and took off
    after thanking me. When I walked back to the Palms he had come back and said he did so to thank me again and told me what he ate. I wished him luck and told him to take care. His name was Sharell Hawkins. Or was it Darnell?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From C Mayhem@21:1/5 to risky biz on Sun Dec 25 04:41:27 2022
    On Saturday, December 24, 2022 at 3:34:37 PM UTC-6, risky biz wrote:
    We're ALL either poverty-stricken or perpetrators?

'Poverty, by America'
    By Matthew Desmond. From Crown.

The Pulitzer Prize–winning, bestselling author of Evicted reimagines the debate on poverty, making a new and bracing argument about why it persists in America: because the rest of us benefit from it.

The United States, the richest country on earth, has more poverty than any other advanced democracy. Why? Why does this land of plenty allow one in every eight of its children to go without basic necessities, permit scores of its citizens to live and
    die on the streets, and authorize its corporations to pay poverty wages?'

I had a conversation with a homeless black man recently. That's right. Unlike Blabbermouth I'm not afraid of black people. I was at the Palms and decided I wanted to go over to the Rio for a while then come back to the Palms. I decided to just walk the
    two blocks or so. A black guy about 25 years old approached me and started talking to me. That isn't unusual. Black people initiate conversations with me all the time but I was a little more circumspect considering that there was no one paying attention
    even though there was some street traffic and the guy was about 6'6" and looked physically capable. I could see he was homeless even though no bags, shopping cart, etc. So we had a general conversation. I did tense up a little at one point when he leaned
    in toward me, which he noticed and backed up. I talked to him for about 15+ minutes. To make a long story short he was a little goofy mentally but not mentally ill. I never asked if he was homeless but he apparently assumed that I assumed he was. HE
    VOLUNTEERED, 'I choose to live this way.' He didn't approach me initially to ask for money but he finally got very nervous and said he was really hungry without specifically requesting money. I gave him $5 which shocked him. He couldn't thank me enough.
    But I feel guilty about not giving him at least $15. I thought about that but I think I didn't because I have a thing about possibly getting duped. I don't think he was a drug user. He told me he was going to get something to eat right away and took off
    after thanking me. When I walked back to the Palms he had come back and said he did so to thank me again and told me what he ate. I wished him luck and told him to take care. His name was Sharell Hawkins. Or was it Darnell?

-9 degrees the other day. And the wind was whipping the snow sideways. It was literally painful and your lips and nose were numb after a little bit if they were exposed. It was the kind of weather that will kill you. A very bad day to be homeless...
    When I got back inside I turned on the fireplace and had a seat by the hearth. Waited for the feeling to come back to my face.

C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)