• success: compiling pmarsw on OS X (with apple silicon / M1)

From bjoern.pub@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 19 14:56:15 2022
    Turns out SDL is also available for OS X, so I was able to compile the pmarsw version by Joonas Pihlaja.

I'll try to reproduce the exact steps tomorrow, but just from memory I think I only had to rename the variable "round" because it produced conflicts (I'm guessing with the round function from math.h), so I renamed it to roundCounter. Then I installed "
    sdl-framework" via MacPorts, also the xcode developer stuff obviously has to be installed (I think it is a prerequisite for MacPorts, too).

Then it just worked, with the flags in the Makefile adapted for SDL graphics as described in the Makefile comments.

Only then did it occur to me to search the group and it seems the last time somebody asked for pmars on OS X was roughly 11 years ago, and somebody even provided a binary. However, the binary doesn't work on my Mac (maybe because of the new M1 chip), so
    at least my time was not wasted.

I had tried to compile the xwindows version first, using the XQuartz for OS X, but couldn't get it to work. With XQuartz the linker complained that the libraries are for the wrong platform (I guess XQuartz has no arm version yet), and with the MacPorts
    version (xorg-server) I didn't know where to find the libraries. SDL seems preferable, too, as I think for XWindows XQuartz has to be running, whereas the SDL version seems to work directly.

What would be the best way to publish the OS X version? Couldn't it all be merged into the Sourceforge version of pmars (including Joonas' work)? Is that even still being maintained?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Metcalf@21:1/5 to bjoer...@gmail.com on Mon Feb 21 17:39:12 2022
    On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:56:15 -0800, bjoer...@gmail.com wrote:
    What would be the best way to publish the OS X version? Couldn't it all
    be merged into the Sourceforge version of pmars (including Joonas'
    work)? Is that even still being maintained?

I'd be happy to host the OS X binary / source / instructions how to
    compile. I already have instructions for Linux (Mint + Ubuntu) and
    FreeBSD which I'll put online soon.

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stephen Gunnell@21:1/5 to John Metcalf on Sun Feb 27 21:56:36 2022
    On Tuesday, 22 February 2022 at 1:39:13 am UTC+8, John Metcalf wrote:
    On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:56:15 -0800, bjoer...@gmail.com wrote:
    What would be the best way to publish the OS X version? Couldn't it all
    be merged into the Sourceforge version of pmars (including Joonas'
    work)? Is that even still being maintained?
    I'd be happy to host the OS X binary / source / instructions how to
    compile. I already have instructions for Linux (Mint + Ubuntu) and
    FreeBSD which I'll put online soon.

John

I've suddenly been having problems with compiling the server version on Linux so I'll be interested in those instructions in case I've forgotten something over the years.
    I also tried Clang but I was getting weird errors that are not properly covered in the Clang documentation.

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?QmrDtnJu?=@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 28 04:34:42 2022
    I'll try to put something together this week. I wasn't able to compile the x-windows version.

What errors are you getting? I think in the end the only real issue I had was the naming of the "round" variable.

For OS X, I wonder if there are ways to bundle the sdl-framework, if people don't want to use MacPorts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stephen Gunnell@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 28 05:26:57 2022
    On Monday, 28 February 2022 at 8:34:44 pm UTC+8, Björn wrote:
    I'll try to put something together this week. I wasn't able to compile the x-windows version.

What errors are you getting? I think in the end the only real issue I had was the naming of the "round" variable.

For OS X, I wonder if there are ways to bundle the sdl-framework, if people don't want to use MacPorts.

I upgraded from Clang-10 to Clang-12 (re-installed actually), updated the makefile and it all worked. Maybe some bug in Clang-10?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05