• Re: Identifying objects

From Erik A@21:1/5 to Robert S. Gregg on Thu May 4 08:38:52 2023
    On Monday, May 11, 1998 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Robert S. Gregg wrote:
    Apteryx wrote in message <35569...@news.actrix.gen.nz>...
    I have about 50 objects I cannot fully identify, like scrolls, potions, >>wands and magical weapons. I know that a mage of level 6 can identify
    any object for about 10 pieces of gold but doing so will cost to much >>besides perhaps I will need my money for something else. [snip]
    Did I made the right choice? Is Lore really effective at the highest >>level? Or perhaps a Paladin has not enough intelligence to
    do this? I would like to know...

You can use a name enchantment spell (Reveal is a different spell), but >there is also a name enchantment wand to be found on level 4 (with about a >dozen charges). I think if you just carry an article for a while, your >chances of identifying with yur Lore skill seem to improve, although I am >not sure that isn't just an effect of increasing experience enhancing that >skill.
    It's a little bit of both. Even with a Lore of 30, you aren't guaranteed of being able to identify an object, or even that it is "magical". I never found that pushing Lore about around 10 made any substantial difference. Sometimes you can simply click on an object multiple times over a certain period, and be
    able to identify something you couldn't before. It is probably a function of experience/level as well as Lore.
    I also rarely made use of that wizard on level 6; since he only accepts hard currency, and there isn't any way of generating gold coins in infinite amount (as there is in UW2), I found it more acceptable to just wait around for my mana to recharge and cast Name Enchantment. Another "trick" is to find the wand and use it - even after it reaches zero charges, it will still have a certain percentage to work each time you use it. Save just before identifying, and if the wand breaks, reload and try again. It's faster than waiting for your mana to recharge, even if it is "cheating" a little.
    Bob Gregg aka Underworld Dragon
    The Notable Ultima: www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/

Did you manage to identify it?

Sorry for the late reply.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)