• monthership 1e

From gbbgu@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 30 14:56:20 2023
    Have any of your groups started playing the new mothership 1e rules?

I've printed out the work-in-progress pdfs that are available on the official discord server. The character generation and rules seems really simple to understand and run.

I would love a few more options of guns and general equipment in the base books, along with bit more explanation. For example, my son has a teamster
    with a "rigging gun" and it took us a little while to understand that it was a single shot item designed more for shooting lines than attacking enemies. He was envisioning he could use it like Scorpion in Mortal Combat to drag enemies closer. (I guess he could try, but it's probably not going to work out for him ;-)

They have a two page spread on patches and trinkets, which is about the same space dedicated to general equipment. I'm not sure why it's so much apart from they already had the tables and wanted to keep them in.

I'd also love one or two more character class available along with the four Marine, Android, Scientist and Teamster. Medic is probably the most obvious omission to me, but would this become the default cleric that some person is lumped with cause the "party needs a healer"?

It's also probably the longest kickstarter I've backed, going on more than a year and a half and (IMO) no signs of the product shipping until near the end of the year at best.

--
    gbbgu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Alex Schroeder@21:1/5 to gbbgu on Fri Jun 30 17:32:48 2023
    gbbgu <john.doe@myemail.invalid> writes:

I’ve played a few sessions of Desert Moon of Karth. I’m not quite sure about the rules we’ve been using. I wasn’t too invested. I looked at my character sheet a lot and in a folder I have a file that says “Player’s Survival Guide. Copyright © 2018 Tuesday Knight Games | Alpha Zine
    Edition, Fifth Printing 2018.” I guess that means I don’t know what I’m talking about. :)

My character has been using a Hand Welder and a Laser Cutter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gbbgu@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 2 01:24:18 2023
    On 1 Jul 2023 at 01:32:48 AEST, "Alex Schroeder" <alex@alexschroeder.ch>
    wrote:

gbbgu <john.doe@myemail.invalid> writes:

character sheet a lot and in a folder I have a file that says “Player’s Survival Guide. Copyright © 2018 Tuesday Knight Games | Alpha Zine
    Edition, Fifth Printing 2018.” I guess that means I don’t know what I’m talking about. :)

I think that's the version 0 of the rules. They've simplified and streamlined
    a lof of stuff since then. I think the best change they've made is going from 6d10 for stats to 2d10+25 (which then further changes depending on your
    class).

This means the stats aren't as swingy and I'm worried everyone would end up being a bit same-ish, but adding 6d10 right out the gate might turn some (new) people off. I'm personally not a fan of large dice pool math as it slows
    things down.

Now you just need two d10s and a d20 for panic rolls for the whole game. When
    I eventually GM, I plan to use a large d20 that's shared for the whole table and rolled in the middle. Many of the panic conditions impact the other characters, and I think it'll be fun for the players to be in suspense while a person makes roll that can quickly make a bad situation turn worse.

btw, Panic Checks for anyone who doesn't know "determines whether you are able to keep your cool under extreme pressure." and "If you roll less than or equal to your current Stress you fail, and you look up your result on the Panic Table"

The panic table are 20 conditions that range from relativly minor things like "JUMPY. Gain 1 Stress. All Close crewmembers gain 2 Stress." all the way up to the extreme "COLLAPSE. You no longer control this character. Hand your sheet
    to the Warden and roll up a new character to play."

This is from Mothership-PSG2-v0.10-for-backers.pdf, so when the final release comes out stuff might change, but I'm looking forward to playing it.

--
    gbbgu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alex Schroeder@21:1/5 to gbbgu on Sun Jul 2 20:08:18 2023
    gbbgu <john.doe@myemail.invalid> wrote:
    This is from Mothership-PSG2-v0.10-for-backers.pdf, so when the final
    release comes out stuff might change, but I'm looking forward to
    playing it.

Ah, thanks for those updates. I didn't know that I was that out-of-date.
    The changes you mentioned so seem like changes for the better.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gbbgu@21:1/5 to Alex Schroeder on Mon Jul 3 00:29:31 2023
    Alex Schroeder wrote:

Ah, thanks for those updates. I didn't know that I was that out-of-date.
    The changes you mentioned so seem like changes for the better.

If you're interested, here's a youtube video where the designers talk about
    the differences between 0e and 1e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_k0iTCChBk

--
    gbbgu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05