• Atari7800.com Update

From anticreep12081970@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeff F. on Wed May 4 07:38:43 2016
    On Sunday, October 22, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Jeff F. wrote:
    You had a 33.6 Modem prob only connected at 15bbs
    I went to the same page you put down and it loaded Quick Looked very professional and i was on using a 56b modem.
    I would say upgrade your modem before you start bashing peoples pages because you have a crappy modem

I'd say learn some manors and proper grammar before you start typing
    again.

-Jeff

Jeff said : "I'd say learn some manors and proper grammar before you start typing again.

Gfffffffffaw. <snort>

"manors" and "grammar" instead of "manners" and "grammar"

!!!!! JEFF !!!!!! JEFF !!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY JEFF !!!!!!!

"AtariBob" <mcdian@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:SMEI5.9062$1S5.902513@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
    You had a 33.6 Modem prob only connected at 15bbs
    I went to the same page you put down and it loaded Quick Looked very professional and i was on using a 56b modem.
    I would say upgrade your modem before you start bashing peoples pages because you have a crappy modem

"I am known in the newsgroup for being fairly accurate">
    Known by who ??

Let others Look before we complain
    I give this site a 9 out of 10

http://atari7800.com/home.html

"jt august" <starsaber@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

news:starsaber-2210000622530001@136.st-louis-106-107rs.mo.dial-access.att.ne
    t...
    In article <iASG5.7309$O5.153270@news.itd.umich.edu>, "Charles
    Goddeeris"
    <cgoddeer@umich.edu> wrote:

How many sites do you know focus just on Atari and can provide the services that we at Atari7800.com are striving to provide you with?
    Not
    many. I hope you can support your complaints having actually taken
    some
    time to look at the site. Even on the slowest connection speed it
    won't
    take more than ten minutes out of your day to explore the greater
    depths
    of
    the site.

I have a 33.6, and it took almost 10 minutes to get the main page
    loaded,
    and I couldn't go any further on my browser until the graphic was completed.

You say your site is very professional compared against less name brands (acknowleging such perrenial favourites are AHS and others), yet you
    have
    no text links at the bottom of the page to permit those with graphics turned off or those with slower modem links (some people can't even get
    a
    28.8 connection on their 56k modems with reliable regularity) to click
    on
    those text links while the main graphic is loading. The most
    professional
    sites offer this option, as the text body of html loads first and
    fastest.

I posted my complaint because I DID visit your site, and I was unimpressed, and I wanted to share my disappointment. I am known in the newsgroup for being fairly accurate, and there are those here who know that I don't tend to just post stuff to slam without cause. I also do
    not
    have a web site of my own for any purpose. If you want to get very technical, I do have a web site, but it houses a handful of pics that I then use for eBay selling purposes, and there is no text or info or hyperlinks of any form. This said, I want to make it clear that I have
    no
    competitive motivation to put down your site to bolster mine.

And to boot, 10 minutes to get to the main page of a web site is
    excessive
    to say the least. If all your pages are graphicly over-intensive like your first three pages, 10 minutes is not enough to get anywhere in your web site, and nothing in the first three pages gives me reason to
    believe
    the rest of your pages are any faster to load.

--
    The Starsabre is a British blade. Please reverse the r and e
    to reply to me directly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From anticreep12081970@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andrew Davie on Wed May 4 07:40:52 2016
    On Tuesday, October 17, 2000 at 12:06:21 PM UTC-4, Andrew Davie wrote:
    Uh.... I think an (for example) 830k file instead of HTML is an abuse of the 'net!

Using a single large image for your page design
    a) Makes visits from people with text-only browsers impossible
    b) Makes it impossible to cut/paste sections of text.
    c) Mandates people use a screen resolution (width) YOU can handle.

What about people with smaller/larger screens? This is the whole POINT of realtime formatting/HTML. You let the browser adapt the page to the viewer. Single images for the entire screen, with fixed widths like this are... pretty silly.

Um....one more thing.... "Pam is one big sexxxy bitch!" is a pretty stupid description of a game machine, too. I presume your target audience includes no women.

Frankly, I think you're entirely missing the point, with your site. I visited three pages, and had enough. I wouldn't care if you had the holy grail buried a few more pages deep... the site is just too painful to
    visit.

However, not to be ALL negative... I think your idea/concept is fine, and I won't bitch about your prices. I just think you need a TOTAL rethink about how you present things (as large images), and then it'll be OK. This site
    is just about the worst abuse of net-savvy design I've ever seen!

Cheers
    A
    --
    --
    Andrew Davie adavie@taswegian.com & adavie@mad.scientist.com ICQ #3297382 Museum of Soviet Calculators @ www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html
    FAQ @ www.taswegian.com/TwoHeaded/faq.html Work @ www.bde3d.com

Hola ...

WebTV : "may I offer tech support?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> !!!!!!!!!!!! PSYCHO !!!!!!!!!! <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, where?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)