• Re: Friday Night's Dinner, March 15, =?UTF-8?B?MjAyND8=?=

From GM@21:1/5 to ItsJoanNotJoAnn on Fri Mar 15 22:43:04 2024
    ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:

Your dinner plans for Friday?

I'm late posting this and I'm late heading to the kitchen. But here
    it's going to a smoked sausage link that has been sliced into bite size pieces and browned. Potatoes and sliced onions will hit that skillet,
    too. Maybe a small skillet of cornbread to round out the meal.

I had a lovely turkey club sammich mit fries from a fave local place, Frida's:

"Low-key restaurant serving Mexican-inspired breakfast & lunch, plus wraps, pancakes & French toast...?

https://fridasevanston.com/evanston-evanston-frida-s-evanston-food-menu

"Turkey Club $15.00

Sliced turkey breast, bacon, lettuce, tomato with mayonnaise served on white toast"

It was a LOT of food, so I have half the sammich and fries left over for the weekend...

This is one of the few places around I don't consider a rip - off, the cost of dining out has
    really risen... even a McD's meal approaches fifteen bux these daze...

The food is fresh, generous, and great service. Emphasis on Mexican, but the menu is wide - ranging, their hash is divine...!!!

A club sammich is a very "basic" thing, but everything about this was spot - on perfect... their burgers are fine, too... they *taste* like a good burger should...

Wish I could "zap" some of this good grub down to ya, Joan...!!!

;-D

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ItsJoanNotJoAnn@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 15 22:19:53 2024

it's going to a smoked sausage link that has been sliced into bite size
    pieces and browned. Potatoes and sliced onions will hit that skillet,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ItsJoanNotJoAnn@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 16 02:21:52 2024
    GM wrote:

I had a lovely turkey club sammich mit fries from a fave local place, Frida's:

"Turkey Club $15.00

Sliced turkey breast, bacon, lettuce, tomato with mayonnaise served
    on white toast"

It was a LOT of food, so I have half the sammich and fries left over
    for the weekend...

A club sammich is a very "basic" thing, but everything about this was
    spot - on perfect.

Wish I could "zap" some of this good grub down to ya, Joan...!!!

;-D

Every year my financial adviser has group meetings for his clients and
    invites people from Medicare, Social Security, lawyers, etc. to offer
    advise and answer questions. The meetings are besides the regular
    the holiday dinners. These meetings are always catered by whomever
    they choose and two years ago it was some local subway sandwich shop.
    Lots of different individual substantial size salads and many different sandwiches. I chose a club sandwich and it was sooooo good it didn't
    need any mustard or mayo. Maybe it was the first club I'd had since
    Truman was president or maybe it was just that good, but I certainly
    scarfed it down!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 16 17:16:50 2024
    D wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:

I had a starter of Foie gras with brioche, then black angus ribeye from Uruguay and for desert a chocolate fondant and a coffee at my favourite
    steak house. Almost spiritual!

Very nice... and so you've not gone the "green way" of eating...do you not feel "guilty"...???

:-)

I am reading that "Our Betters" (especially those of the "World Economic Forum", led by Herr Klaus Schwab) want to ban meat production for "climate change" reasons:

WEF founder Klaus Schwab: Must prepare for an angrier world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTnkzl3K64

MORE:

Great Food Reset: Irish Gov’t Seeks to Sacrifice 200,000 Cows To Reach Net Zero Climate Goals – Kerry targets U.S. farmers Next!

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/06/04/irish-government-seeks-to-sacrifice-300000-cows-for-climate-net-zero-goals/

Ireland Looking To Kill 200,000 Cows To Fight Climate Change; Are US Herds Next? – In the latest effort to reduce emissions from agriculture, Ireland said it may kill 200,000 cows. Meanwhile, climate activists have American farms and ranches in the
    crosshairs.

"Via The Telegraph:

The collateral damage of net zero is now getting uncomfortably close to home. First Dutch farmers were threatened with compulsory purchases to satisfy EU emissions targets, fomenting a new revolt in the process. Now it’s Ireland’s turn, where the
    government is reportedly looking at plans to cull around 200,000 cows to meet its climate targets. The scheme would be a bit like voluntary redundancy, with farmers offered financial inducements to give up their cows.

British beef and dairy farmers are now very jittery. It seems increasingly clear that there is an eco-modernist agenda to do away with conventional meat altogether. It’s not just the Extinction Rebellion mob, either; many of the world’s politicians
    are on board...

Leaked documents suggest the Irish government is planning to cull 65,000 cows a year for the next three years, at a cost of 200million euros a year, to meet its climate targets. Get ready for more, not less, of this insanity..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ItsJoanNotJoAnn@21:1/5 to Cindy Hamilton on Sat Mar 16 20:07:43 2024
    Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On 2024-03-16, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:

Every year my financial adviser has group meetings for his clients and
    invites people from Medicare, Social Security, lawyers, etc. to offer
    advise and answer questions. The meetings are besides the regular
    the holiday dinners.

Goodness. My financial advisor doesn't bother spending the fees I
    pay them on feeding me. We just have meetings.

These meetings are quite enlightening more so for some than others.
    The one from an attorney concerning wills vs. trusts, quit claims,
    and taxes was quite interesting. Whereas the one with a Social Security representative was very eye opening when I realized a good many in the
    meeting were clueless. These were folks who are fast approaching
    retirement age a few that were already retired!

Individual meetings are also held each year, but no lunch is offered.
    I'd be willing to bet the money spent on meetings with food and
    holiday dinners is tax deductible.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ItsJoanNotJoAnn@21:1/5 to Cindy Hamilton on Sat Mar 16 21:29:28 2024
    Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On 2024-03-16, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:

Individual meetings are also held each year, but no lunch is offered.

Oh, well, I can see why you'd hate to miss free Subway.

It was not a subway sandwich. Reading comprehension is still important
    as you age.

I'd be willing to bet the money spent on meetings with food and
    holiday dinners is tax deductible.

Doesn't matter. It'd still be my money they were spending. It's
    a tax deduction, not a tax credit.

For the information we receive, it was worth him taking a tax deduction.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Leonard Blaisdell on Sat Mar 16 21:47:28 2024
    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

On 2024-03-15, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:

Chicken wings with leftover Rice-A-Roni. They were better than expected.

<https://postimg.cc/9zhNfSDw>

I like it...

PS: and I *highly* approve of the rice...

;-)

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 17 13:31:55 2024
    D wrote:

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, heyjoe wrote:

D wrote :

Hah, far from it! Reasonable care about the environment I have nothing
    against, but climate change has reached levels of mass hysteria.

What is sad is that the politicians (who are flying around in private
    jets btw.) have lost all connection with the people in europe, and are
    literally talking about crushing the livelihood of farmers.

The climate hysteria isn't limited to Europe. New York City will soon
    be cracking down on businesses that use wood fired or coal fired ovens.

https://www.nysun.com/article/uproar-as-new-york-approves-rule-cracking-down-on-wood-fired-pizzerias-forcing-them-to-spend-big-to-reduce-emissions

Sad... I won't be moving to New York City, that's for sure. ;) In
    sweden, when visiting, at least I can still light a fire in the fire
    place of my apartment. I spoke with a german colleague the other day and apparently that is illegal in germany, but many people who live in the country side do it anyway.

Completely absurd!

In the German countryside I've read instances of people reverting to using *wood* for their
    primary heating source, as the German state has gone "green" and fuel prices have risen astronomically...!!!

I used to admire Germany as a modern and well - functioning state, now, "not so much". Good article:

"It has been clear for some time now that the way Germany is run is alienating a growing segment of the population. Some have been so angry with the status quo that they have been willing to put their trust in the AfD, a party that is routinely labelled
    as extremist by the mainstream..."

Germany: so much for the ‘grown-up country’

The model nation for centrist liberals is in political and economic turmoil.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2024/01/21/germany-so-much-for-the-grown-up-country/

"Germany has long occupied a special place in the liberal-elite imagination. Over the past few decades, and especially since the world was upended by the votes for Brexit and Trump, Germany has been held up by the great and good as a model nation. As the
    rest of the West lost their minds, or so the story goes, Germany remained a paragon of economic efficiency, political maturity and environmental stewardship. The last bulwark of the liberal order in an age of rising populism...

This elite Germanophilia is best embodied in John Kampfner’s Why the Germans Do it Better: Notes From a Grown-Up Country. First published in August 2020, it became an unlikely bestseller in the UK. It received rave reviews and was declared ‘book of
    the year’ by the Guardian, the New Statesman and The Economist. Its central claim is that Germany has forged ‘a new paradigm in stability’ that the rest of the world ought to follow...

It is hard to think of any book that has aged quite so badly, quite so quickly...

Indeed, the news coming out of Germany lately paints a wholly different picture: one of economic collapse and interminable political strife...

Even though 2024 is just a few weeks old, Germany has already been rocked by huge farmers’ protests, with thousands of tractors blocking cities and motorway junctions this past week alone. It has been crippled by transport workers’ and doctors’
    strikes. Factories in its much-vaunted manufacturing sector are shutting down and shipping production elsewhere. The federal government is struggling to reckon with a budget crisis and is ushering in a new age of austerity. Data released this week showed
    that Germany had the worst economic performance last year of any major economy. In the year ahead, it is predicted to have the slowest growth in the G20, apart from Argentina...

The results of the 'Energiewende' have been stark. Electricity prices rose by 50 per cent between 2006 and 2017, giving Germany the most expensive electricity in Europe. The energy shock of the war in Ukraine then sent prices into the stratosphere. In
    2022, the government was forced to spend some €440 billion – or €1.5 billion per day – bailing out energy firms, sourcing new energy supplies and subsidising bills. And still cutbacks had to be made to energy use, as supplies dwindled...

Major firms like BASF – a chemical giant that is older than the German state itself – are now closing their factories and offshoring production. Even ‘green’ industries cannot cope. This week, Germany’s largest solar-panel producer, Meyer
    Burger, threatened to shut down its factory in Saxony and relocate to the US...

It would have been possible for the political class to denounce the AfD’s more hardline elements while acknowledging the public’s anger and addressing some of their concerns. But instead of trying to win back the voters they have been shedding, the
    mainstream parties have tried to draw up a cordon sanitaire between themselves and the populist upstarts. Mainstream parties refuse to work with the AfD, even at the local level...

Back in 2017, when the AfD made its first big mark on politics, it was the only party in the Bundestag to question Merkel’s immigration policy. Back in 2015, she decided to open Germany’s borders to around a million Syrian refugees – without
    consulting parliament or allowing for any political debate...

Merkel, in particular, presided over a notable decline in the public realm, from infrastructure to public services. Today, Germany is no longer a country where the trains run on time... Even slower is Germany’s internet, where its broadband speed has
    been among the slowest in the Western world, and its 4G coverage the worst in Europe. Curiously, some 80 per cent of German businesses still use fax machines for office tasks, as do a fifth of doctors’ surgeries. Fax machines are due to be phased out
    in the offices of the Bundestag by June 2024 ‘at the latest’. German efficiency, at least where tech is concerned, is a myth...

[...]

Rather than being valorised as a model nation, perhaps Germany ought to be seen as a cautionary tale – of how a cosy elite consensus, untroubled by democracy, can take even a powerful, successful country to the brink..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Ed P on Sun Mar 17 14:40:06 2024
    Ed P wrote:

On 3/17/2024 9:31 AM, GM wrote:
    D wrote:

D wrote :

Hah, far from it! Reasonable care about the environment I have nothing >>>>> against, but climate change has reached levels of mass hysteria.

What is sad is that the politicians (who are flying around in private >>>>> jets btw.) have lost all connection with the people in europe, and are >>>>> literally talking about crushing the livelihood of farmers.

The climate hysteria isn't limited to Europe.  New York City will soon >>>> be cracking down on businesses that use wood fired or coal fired ovens. >>>>
    https://www.nysun.com/article/uproar-as-new-york-approves-rule-cracking-down-on-wood-fired-pizzerias-forcing-them-to-spend-big-to-reduce-emissions

Sad... I won't be moving to New York City, that's for sure. ;) In
    sweden, when visiting, at least I can still light a fire in the fire
    place of my apartment. I spoke with a german colleague the other day and >>> apparently that is illegal in germany, but many people who live in the
    country side do it anyway.

Completely absurd!

In the German countryside I've read instances of people reverting to
    using *wood* for their primary heating source, as the German state has
    gone "green" and fuel prices have risen astronomically...!!!

We had a woman at work that grew up in Austria before the war. She said Hitler was a good guy, he made sure they had firewood. Besides, it was
    only some Jews that got hurt.

When I visited the old communist East Germany in the late 70's, residents of old buildings
    still used charcoal briquets or even just brown coal to heat their flats, they still used those old - fashioned heating stoves...

One of the reasons the old East Germany was one of the most polluted places on the planet... the only domestic energy source was cheap polluintg brown coal, mined in vast open pits...

Russia supplied East Germany's petro needs, but the East Germans turned around and sold the Russian petroleum products to Western Europe, in order to earn much - needed "hard currency"...

East German roads were in generally terrible shape, because the oil components that would have been used for asphalt were instead sold to the West...

Then there was the infamous East German "Trabant" car, which spewed huge amounts of smoke, further polluting the place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

"The Trabant's build quality was poor, and it was loud, slow, and poorly designed... Known for its dull colour scheme and cramped, uncomfortable ride, the Trabant is an object of ridicule for many Germans and is regarded as symbolic of the fall of the
    Eastern Bloc. Known as a "spark plug with a roof" because of its small size, the car did gain public affection.

The engine produced a very smoky exhaust and was a significant source of air pollution: nine times the hydrocarbons and five times the carbon-monoxide emissions of the average European car..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 18 22:53:25 2024
    D wrote:

On Mon, 18 Mar 2024, Dave Smith wrote:

On 2024-03-18 3:07 p.m., cshenk wrote:
    Ed P wrote:

On 3/17/2024 6:18 PM, D wrote:

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024, cshenk wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

On 2024-03-17 6:41 a.m., D wrote:

D wrote :

Hah, far from it! Reasonable care about the environment I
    have nothing against, but climate change has reached
    levels of mass hysteria.

What is sad is that the politicians (who are flying
    around in private jets btw.) have lost all connection
    with the people in europe, and are literally talking
    about crushing the livelihood of farmers.

The climate hysteria isn't limited to Europe.  New York
    City will soon be cracking down on businesses that use wood
    fired or coal fired ovens.

Sad... I won't be moving to New York City, that's for sure.
    ;) In sweden, when visiting, at least I can still light a
    fire in the fire place of my apartment. I spoke with a german
    colleague the other day and apparently that is illegal in
    germany, but many people who live in the country side do it
    anyway.

Completely absurd!

Frankly, with all the concern about climate change and carbon
    emissions, I am surprised that there are not a lot more
    restrictions on burning wood in fireplaces or heating homes
    with wood stoves.

Fact is the wood burning fireplace fears aren't even a drop in a
    bucket compared to the wildfires.  There are an estimated 500,000 >>>>>> homes with functional wood fireplaces in use.  They burn an
    average of a 30 foot tree a year.  We have triple that
    environmental effect in 1 small California wildfire.  The
    emmisions from a single car dwarf a single wood burning fireplace. >>>>>>

Tut, tut, don't come with arguments! Remember that for climate
    change hysterics it's all about sacrifice in order for the
    politicians to save your soul! ;)

Pollution in some towns from wood burning is a health hazard. There
    are alternatives. Do you think it is ok to have pollution? Lung and
    breathing problems from it?

Compare it to a car. A single car produces FAR more pollution than any
    fireplace will. Lets ignore the 18 wheelers all over the place.

Yes, it's worth it in comparison.

There is one snag there. It is not even close to true. A German article
    reported that fireplaces caused more emissions than all the cars combined. >> Car emissions there totalled 6,800 tonnes of emissions while fire places
    cause 18,600 tonnes.

https://www.green-zones.eu/en/blog-news/heating-with-wood-more-harmful-than-car-exhaust-fumes
    "
    “Ecodesign” wood burning stoves produce 450 times more toxic air pollution
    than gas central heating, according to new data published in a report from >> Prof Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer for England.

Older stoves, now banned from sale, produce 3,700 times more, while electric >> heating produces none, the report said."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/08/eco-wood-burners-produce-450-times-more-pollution-than-gas-heating-report

We're talking fire places here, not wood burners heating 24/7. In
    countries where fire places are used for heating 24/7 usually eco burners
    are too expensive and the people would prefer living to being dead.

Also theguardian is a socialist newspaper so they will only harp on the
    green agenda and won't let facts come in the way.

Finally, you can, if you like, there's plenty of modern wood burning
    systems that are perfectly environmentally friendly. Especially with added ackumulatortanks (or what ever the english word for it is).

More Than 30% of Homes Heated With Wood In Some Counties

February 26, 2018

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2018/02/who-knew-wood-burning-fuel.html

"Baby, it’s cold outside! While the majority of U.S. households are heated by electricity (38.7 percent) or utility gas (48.1 percent), 1.9 percent rely on wood for heat.

See below for a list of counties with populations of 65,000 or greater that rank among the highest using wood for home heating; these are overwhelmingly in the West/Southwest..."

Some WIKI hits from "wood as fuel in the us"

"Are there wood burning power plants?

An example of a biomass facility is the Wheelabrator Shasta power plant in California. It is one of the most modern independent wood-fired power plants. The 49 MW (net) plant processes 750,000 tons of mill waste and forest residues from Shasta County and
    surrounding areas..."

"Approximately 1.8 million US households use wood as their primary fuel source, according to data from the American Community Survey.Jan 25, 2023..."

"wood as fuel in Canada"

"Wood pellets are made of ground and compressed wood fiber (usually from sawmill waste) and can be burned in a variety of ways to produce energy. Nearly 85% of Canada's pellet production, which is equivalent to approximately 1.3 million t, is exported (
    less than 1% of Canada's forest sector exports by value)..."

Which country uses the most wood pellets?

The United Kingdom

The United Kingdom is the largest importer of wood pellets in the world. In 2021, the UK imported over nine million metric tons of such products. Raw materials used for wood pellets include sawdust shavings as well as residue from chips, whole logs, and
    wood products.Mar 11, 2024..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 19 12:16:36 2024
    D wrote:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On 2024-03-18, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 23:29:07 +0100, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

Also theguardian is a socialist newspaper so they will only harp on the >>>> green agenda and won't let facts come in the way.

"The Guardian generally falls on the center-left side of the political
    spectrum." (Wiki)

"The Guardian has historically been linked to the Labour Party and the
    Liberal Democrats, both centrist or center-left parties in British
    politics" (Wiki)

Just a little correction of this madman's psychobabble :)

I think D should move to the southern U.S. He'd fit right in with
    everybody else who don't know what socialism is.

Thank you Cindy, I grew up in a country with 102% marginal tax rates. I
    know very well the hideous face of socialism, thank you very much.

I'd argue instead that most, if not all, here do _not_ know the true face
    of socialism, and that is why you are so apologetic about the lefts
    attempts to force it onto people.

In a way I understand you. It sounds great... "let the state fix
    everything, the state is good". But take it from me and the 100 of
    millions of where killed by socialism, it is a very bad idea.

Here in the modern West, "socialism" is the "modern" and "soft" type - all dressed up in the pretty colours of "consumer choice", high technology, and the like...

It's not the drab and dreary old socialism of the DDR or the old USSR - but the desired "end results" - the stifling of all opposition - are still similar... and these "end results" are greatly desired by the mainstream (aka "regime") media, most all of
    education, much government, the US democratic party and its "allies", etc....

I had to take part once in a "DEI" training for work several years ago. When I told the instructor, "You are teaching straight from Marx", she didn't even know who Marx was, lol...

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity,_equity,_and_inclusion

"Diversity, equity, and inclusion (usually abbreviated DEI) are organizational frameworks which seek to promote "the fair treatment and full participation of all people", particularly groups "who have historically been underrepresented or subject to
    discrimination" on the basis of identity or disability. These three notions (diversity, equity, and inclusion) together represent "three closely linked values" which organizations seek to institutionalize through DEI frameworks... ]

PS: Cindy Hamilton has apparently *greatly* "lowered her standards", seeing she was quoting Miss Bruce on an "ideological point", lol...!!!

;-)

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Graham on Tue Mar 19 23:41:19 2024
    Graham wrote:

On 2024-03-19 3:03 p.m., D wrote:

Socialism is a form of totalitarianism.

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they
    would agree with that balderdash.

Yes, of course...!!!

Older Chileans will speak fondly of General Pinochet, as will Spaniards of General Franco - in both cases these brave leaders saved their respective nations from the horrors of socialism, or even full - blown Soviet - style communism...

These nations were, thankfully, spared the disgrace of becoming another backwards version of castro - ite Cuba, or East Germany...

And Graham, it's lovely to see that you know some history... *do* carry on, my good friend...!!!

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 20 10:15:13 2024
    D wrote:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024, GM wrote:

Graham wrote:

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they would >>> agree with that balderdash.

Yes, of course...!!!

Older Chileans will speak fondly of General Pinochet, as will Spaniards of >> General Franco - in both cases these brave leaders saved their respective
    nations from the horrors of socialism, or even full - blown Soviet - style >> communism...

These nations were, thankfully, spared the disgrace of becoming another
    backwards version of castro - ite Cuba, or East Germany...

And Graham, it's lovely to see that you know some history... *do* carry on, >> my good friend...!!!

This is very interesting, because I have many spanish friends and it is
    not uncommon for them to comment on the times of Franco with "in those
    days, at least you could walk safe on the street".

Also many of them, like you say, see Franco as the one who saved them from the fate of Cuba.

Just wait, some here may jump in and taunt us yanks about the glories of the Cuban health care and educational "systems", lol...

They will also blame the below problems on the US "embargo" - despite the fact that US companies *legally* export millions of dollars of foodstuffs to Cuba every month:

www.dw.com/en/cuba-seeks-un-food-aid-as-economic-crisis-deepens/a-68443716

Cuba seeks UN food aid as economic crisis deepens

Andreas Knobloch

March 6, 2024 - DEUTSCHE WELLE

"Scarcity strikes Cuba with milk and bread being in short supply amid a deepening hard currency crisis. The government has now turned to the World Food Programme for assistance in an unprecedented move...

UN World Food Programme asked to intervene

Havana's unprecedented appeal for food relief was already made at the end of 2023, the WFP said, and it has already begun delivering skimmed milk powder to Cuba. Spanish news agency EFE reported last week that 144 tons of it were dispatched —
    approximately 7% of the country's overall monthly requirement of 2,000 tons...

The Cuban minister for the food industry, Alberto Lopez Diaz, assured Cubans last week that, milk supply would be secured by March, thanks to fresh deliveries from Brazil...

Shortages beyond milk

The milk powder shortage is not the only concern for Cubans. The supply of wheat flour for bread is also problematic, prompting the government to announce cuts in the supply of subsidized bread until the end of March. Some provinces have reportedly
    limited bread distribution already...

Economist Perez noted that power outages have increased recently due to fuel shortages..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 20 16:49:12 2024
    D wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024, GM wrote:

D wrote:

Graham wrote:

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they >>>>> would agree with that balderdash.

Yes, of course...!!!

Older Chileans will speak fondly of General Pinochet, as will Spaniards of >>>> General Franco - in both cases these brave leaders saved their respective >>>> nations from the horrors of socialism, or even full - blown Soviet - style >>>> communism...

These nations were, thankfully, spared the disgrace of becoming another >>>> backwards version of castro - ite Cuba, or East Germany...

And Graham, it's lovely to see that you know some history... *do* carry >>>> on, my good friend...!!!

This is very interesting, because I have many spanish friends and it is not >>> uncommon for them to comment on the times of Franco with "in those days, at >>> least you could walk safe on the street".

Also many of them, like you say, see Franco as the one who saved them from >>> the fate of Cuba.

Just wait, some here may jump in and taunt us yanks about the glories of the >> Cuban health care and educational "systems", lol...

They will also blame the below problems on the US "embargo" - despite the
    fact that US companies *legally* export millions of dollars of foodstuffs to >> Cuba every month:

www.dw.com/en/cuba-seeks-un-food-aid-as-economic-crisis-deepens/a-68443716 >>

Andreas Knobloch

"Scarcity strikes Cuba with milk and bread being in short supply amid a
    deepening hard currency crisis. The government has now turned to the World >> Food Programme for assistance in an unprecedented move...

Havana's unprecedented appeal for food relief was already made at the end of >> 2023, the WFP said, and it has already begun delivering skimmed milk powder >> to Cuba. Spanish news agency EFE reported last week that 144 tons of it were >> dispatched — approximately 7% of the country's overall monthly requirement of
    2,000 tons...

The Cuban minister for the food industry, Alberto Lopez Diaz, assured Cubans >> last week that, milk supply would be secured by March, thanks to fresh
    deliveries from Brazil...

Shortages beyond milk

The milk powder shortage is not the only concern for Cubans. The supply of >> wheat flour for bread is also problematic, prompting the government to
    announce cuts in the supply of subsidized bread until the end of March. Some >> provinces have reportedly limited bread distribution already...

Economist Perez noted that power outages have increased recently due to fuel >> shortages..."

Wouldn't surprise me at all! After all, socialism can do no wrong, and if
    it doesn't work, it wasn't socialism to begin with. ;)

Jokes aside, wasn't there some brief talk about Raul Castro opening cuba
    up a tiny bit?

They've had periods when the Cuban government allowed people to open small private businesses, especially in the tourist sector, e.g. restaurants and even Air BNB accomodations... (below a recent article). But the government highly taxes these
    businesses, and makes it difficult to purchase wupplies; also the government will allow these businesses, and then crack down on them. See the list of US food and other exports below, I imagine most of them go to supply the state - run tourist sector,
    are also sold for US dollars in the Cuban "dollar stores" (Cuban pesos worthless there!), and distributed to high - ranking communist party members; the amount for January 2024 is US $45,168,873.00 - including umbrellas and even coffee (!):

https://news.miami.edu/stories/2023/10/independent-businessesknown-as-pymesare-growing-in-cuba.html

Independent businesses—known as ‘pymes’—are growing in Cuba

Experts on Cuba at the University of Miami say the trend for these private enterprises represents needed reform, but it is also a desperate attempt for the Cuban government to help the dire Cuban economy.

"Faced with a dire economy—which includes food and medicine scarcity, high inflation, and frequent electrical blackouts—the Cuban government is allowing independent businesses, called “pymes,” to expand on the island.

Pymes, which is an acronym for pequeña y mediana empresa—small and medium enterprises in Spanish—are regulated by the Cuban government. Some sell beauty products; others sell fruit juices, decorations, and furniture, as well as other merchandise.
    Some operate restaurants or privately run bed-and-breakfasts and guesthouses. Larger pymes import containers of goods including food and clothes for resale to the Cuban public, operate in the construction business, or even provide offshore software
    development solutions to foreign clients...."

An excellent source of US - Cuba commercial information:

https://www.cubatrade.org/

"Conceived in 1993 and established in 1994, the U.S.-Cuba Trade and Economic Council provides an efficient and sustainable educational structure in which the United States business community may access accurate, consistent, and timely information and
    analysis on matters and issues of interest regarding United States-Republic of Cuba commercial, economic, and political relations..."

https://www.cubatrade.org/blog/2024/3/9/cdfodp1504xpm2vvqblpjt3sx9k1es

January 2024 exports included:

JANUARY 2024 FOOD/AG EXPORTS TO CUBA INCREASE 39.4% - Exports of food products and agricultural commodities from the United States to the Republic of Cuba in January 2024 were US$45,168,873.00 compared to US$32,394,196.00 in January 2023 and US$21,783,
    159.00 in January 2022.

Chicken Leg Quarters (Frozen)- US$11,150,925.00
    Chicken Meat (Frozen)- US$10,649,852.00
    Chicken (Offal)- US$7,605,353.00
    Chicken Legs (Frozen)- US$3,288,831.00
    Soybeans- US$2,853,680.00
    Meat of Swine (Frozen)- US$802,746.00
    Bovine Meat (Offal)- US$608,106.00
    Meat of Swine (Fresh)- US$481,107.00
    Whole Young Chickens (Frozen)- US$317,407.00
    Coffee (Roasted)- US$302,612.00

Chicken Wings, Turkey, Bacon, Eggs, Onions, Olives, Apples, Rice, Sausages, Pasta, Potato Chips, Peanut Butter, Ice Cream, Water, Paints, Perfumes, Shampoos, Floor Coverings, Elevator, Excavator, New Vehicles (US$27,400.00), Used Vehicles (US$3,071,032.
    00), New Vehicles (electric) US$34,000.00, Trucks (US$52,592.00), Umbrellas (US$4,887.00..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 20 20:48:16 2024
    D wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Graham wrote:

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they >>>>>>> would agree with that balderdash.

Yes, of course...!!!

Older Chileans will speak fondly of General Pinochet, as will Spaniards >>>>>> of General Franco - in both cases these brave leaders saved their
    respective nations from the horrors of socialism, or even full - blown >>>>>> Soviet - style communism...

These nations were, thankfully, spared the disgrace of becoming another >>>>>> backwards version of castro - ite Cuba, or East Germany...

And Graham, it's lovely to see that you know some history... *do* carry >>>>>> on, my good friend...!!!

This is very interesting, because I have many spanish friends and it is >>>>> not uncommon for them to comment on the times of Franco with "in those >>>>> days, at least you could walk safe on the street".

Also many of them, like you say, see Franco as the one who saved them >>>>> from the fate of Cuba.

Just wait, some here may jump in and taunt us yanks about the glories of >>>> the Cuban health care and educational "systems", lol...

They will also blame the below problems on the US "embargo" - despite the >>>> fact that US companies *legally* export millions of dollars of foodstuffs >>>> to Cuba every month:

www.dw.com/en/cuba-seeks-un-food-aid-as-economic-crisis-deepens/a-68443716 >>>>

Andreas Knobloch

"Scarcity strikes Cuba with milk and bread being in short supply amid a >>>> deepening hard currency crisis. The government has now turned to the World >>>> Food Programme for assistance in an unprecedented move...

Havana's unprecedented appeal for food relief was already made at the end >>>> of 2023, the WFP said, and it has already begun delivering skimmed milk >>>> powder to Cuba. Spanish news agency EFE reported last week that 144 tons >>>> of it were dispatched — approximately 7% of the country's overall monthly
    requirement of 2,000 tons...

The Cuban minister for the food industry, Alberto Lopez Diaz, assured
    Cubans last week that, milk supply would be secured by March, thanks to >>>> fresh deliveries from Brazil...

Shortages beyond milk

The milk powder shortage is not the only concern for Cubans. The supply of >>>> wheat flour for bread is also problematic, prompting the government to >>>> announce cuts in the supply of subsidized bread until the end of March. >>>> Some provinces have reportedly limited bread distribution already...

Economist Perez noted that power outages have increased recently due to >>>> fuel shortages..."

Wouldn't surprise me at all! After all, socialism can do no wrong, and if >>> it doesn't work, it wasn't socialism to begin with. ;)

Jokes aside, wasn't there some brief talk about Raul Castro opening cuba up >>> a tiny bit?

They've had periods when the Cuban government allowed people to open small >> private businesses, especially in the tourist sector, e.g. restaurants and >> even Air BNB accomodations... (below a recent article). But the government >> highly taxes these businesses, and makes it difficult to purchase wupplies; >> also the government will allow these businesses, and then crack down on them.
    See the list of US food and other exports below, I imagine most of them go to
    supply the state - run tourist sector, are also sold for US dollars in the >> Cuban "dollar stores" (Cuban pesos worthless there!), and distributed to high
    - ranking communist party members; the amount for January 2024 is US
    $45,168,873.00 - including umbrellas and even coffee (!):

https://news.miami.edu/stories/2023/10/independent-businessesknown-as-pymesare-growing-in-cuba.html

Great information! Thank you very much. Well, nothing new under the sun. China does the same when the entrepreneurs become too successful. I also heard a rumour that the chinese parliament has as many billionaires as the
    US parliament has millionaires.

Also read the other day that the chinese debt as % of GDP is at around
    285% or so, and since they would never allow the truth to escape I'm
    pretty certain it is higher than that.

I doubt that China will ever become "#1", surpassing the US...

They've got mountains of debt, a vast real estate debacle, and worst of all, a looming demographic disaster... the popluation will be rapidly aging, with many fewer being born to support the older people...

You can say about South Korea and Japan, "Those countries got rich before they got old"...

In China's case it's "China will grow old before it gets rich - if it *ever* 'gets rich'..."

The Chinese Communist Party is also becoming ever more repressive and centralised, which makes China not a real attractive place...

You can ask all the Canadians posting here about how wealthy Chinese have bought large amounts of housing in Vancouver, etc....

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Hank Rogers on Thu Mar 21 04:36:32 2024
    Hank Rogers wrote:

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    On 2024-03-19, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they
    would agree with that balderdash.

There is totalitarianism at the top of any human organization, whether a
    town, an organization or a country. There are rulers and the ruled.

Exactly! That's why we must elect only republicans, preferably those
    endorsed by the ruler of the party, trump.

They KNOW all about totalitarianism.

Thus Far, Trump Has Huge Coattails. The Best Coattails.
    Trump’s chosen candidates are winning from top to bottom of the ballot.

President Donald Trump’s victories in last night’s primaries in Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio were foregone conclusions. All of Trump’s challengers have already exited the race and, for the third straight presidential cycle, Trump
    has secured the Republican nomination. This alone suggests Trump’s takeover of the GOP is near total, but there’s even more evidence down ballot...

Trump is still king and, for smaller realms all around the country, kingmaker. Trump has made 88 endorsements in the primaries thus far. Not a single candidate for federal office has lost their primary with Trump’s backing. Only three Trump-endorsed
    state legislative candidates have lost of the 61 who have faced their primaries so far. When November rolls around, the 58 winners will have the added benefit of Trump on the top of the ticket once again....

:-P

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 21 10:02:35 2024
    D wrote:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, GM wrote:

Hank Rogers wrote:

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they >>>>> would agree with that balderdash.

There is totalitarianism at the top of any human organization, whether a >>>> town, an organization or a country. There are rulers and the ruled.

Exactly! That's why we must elect only republicans, preferably those
    endorsed by the ruler of the party, trump.

President Donald Trump’s victories in last night’s primaries in Arizona, >> Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio were foregone conclusions. All of Trump’s
    challengers have already exited the race and, for the third straight
    presidential cycle, Trump has secured the Republican nomination. This alone >> suggests Trump’s takeover of the GOP is near total, but there’s even more
    evidence down ballot...

Trump is still king and, for smaller realms all around the country,
    kingmaker. Trump has made 88 endorsements in the primaries thus far. Not a >> single candidate for federal office has lost their primary with Trump’s
    backing. Only three Trump-endorsed state legislative candidates have lost of >> the 61 who have faced their primaries so far. When November rolls around, the
    58 winners will have the added benefit of Trump on the top of the ticket once
    again....

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in november! =)

As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities... wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

:-D

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Ed P on Thu Mar 21 17:03:32 2024
    Ed P wrote:

On 3/21/2024 12:36 AM, GM wrote:

President Donald Trump’s victories in last night’s primaries in Arizona, >> Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio were foregone conclusions. All of
    Trump’s challengers have already exited the race and, for the third
    straight presidential cycle, Trump has secured the Republican
    nomination. This alone suggests Trump’s takeover of the GOP is near
    total, but there’s even more evidence down ballot...

His challengers are gone, but in Florida, 17% of Republican voters still voted for Haley and DeSantis. See, there are some smart Republicans.

We're "sorry", Ed... but you are "on the wrong side of history"...

;-D

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Hank Rogers on Fri Mar 22 05:07:37 2024
    Hank Rogers wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Hank Rogers wrote:

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

You should ask older Spaniards, Portuguese and Chileans whether they >>>>>>>> would agree with that balderdash.

There is totalitarianism at the top of any human organization, whether a
    town, an organization or a country. There are rulers and the ruled. >>>>>

Exactly! That's why we must elect only republicans, preferably those >>>>>> endorsed by the ruler of the party, trump.

President Donald Trump’s victories in last night’s primaries in >>>>> Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio were foregone conclusions. >>>>> All of Trump’s challengers have already exited the race and, for the >>>>> third straight presidential cycle, Trump has secured the Republican
    nomination. This alone suggests Trump’s takeover of the GOP is near >>>>> total, but there’s even more evidence down ballot...

Trump is still king and, for smaller realms all around the country,
    kingmaker. Trump has made 88 endorsements in the primaries thus far. >>>>> Not a single candidate for federal office has lost their primary with >>>>> Trump’s backing. Only three Trump-endorsed state legislative
    candidates have lost of the 61 who have faced their primaries so far. >>>>> When November rolls around, the 58 winners will have the added benefit >>>>> of Trump on the top of the ticket once again....

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in november! =)

As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities...
    wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

And Bruce as well! Don't forget Bruce! ;)

Indeed, master bruce *loves* the aroma of trump's ass!!

Or of ANY ass...!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAW...!!!

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Ed P on Fri Mar 22 05:21:16 2024
    Ed P wrote:

On 3/21/2024 9:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
    On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:18:37 -0500, Hank Rogers <Hank@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in november! =) >>>>>
    As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities... >>>>> wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

These junior school level insults coming from Americans, is that a
    cultural thing? Yesterday, I heard Trump say that the word "crooked"
    used to be reserved for Hillary Clinton. But now that she's no longer
    relevant, the word can be used for Joe Biden. So from now on it's
    "Crooked Joe". That's the former and possibly next president of the US
    talking.

Do many adult Americans talk like this? It's embarrassing, to be
    honest.

Funny thing is, the person calling others "crooked" is accused of 91 felonies.

Those are all FAKE "crimes" he's "accused" of, Ed...

Haven't you heard of "political persecution"...???

Remember why Gandhi and Solzhenitsyn were imprisoned...

Remember why Our Lord Jesus Christ was NAILED to the cross...

President Trump's sleazy accusers will spend Eternity in a Lake of Fire...

And will forever be SLAVES of the KLINGONS...!!!

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Bruce on Fri Mar 22 07:53:06 2024
    Bruce wrote:

On 22 Mar 2024 00:53:50 GMT, Mike Duffy <mxduffy@bell.net> wrote:

On 2024-03-21, D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in November

As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities...
    wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

You people all never invite me to be on one of your lists.

You're a weasel, Muffy.

"B-A-A-A-A-A...!!!"

https://postimg.cc/ppTk9nWc

LOLZ... LOLZ...!!!

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Ed P on Fri Mar 22 07:31:28 2024
    Ed P wrote:

wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in november! =) >>>>>
    As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities... >>>>> wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

"Crooked Joe". That's the former and possibly next president of the US
    talking.

honest.

Funny thing is, the person calling others "crooked" is accused of 91 felonies.

This political prosecution of victimless crimes is something out of Putin's Russia...

Not only can it happen here, it is happening here...

A lot of ignorant people are happy that a political prosecution under the color of the law is happening - as long as it happens to an unsympathetic character like Trump...

A lot of people who cry "civil rights" if a murderer spends so much as a day in jail are quite happy about this convoluted, connect-the-dots prosecution...

You think you can enjoy a little bit of this fascism as long as it goes after the right people...

Fools...!!!

The beast you are feeding will eventually devour you all...

:-(

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 22 13:15:50 2024
    D wrote:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024, GM wrote:

Ed P wrote:

wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in november! =) >>>>>>>
    As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities... >>>>>>> wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

"Crooked Joe". That's the former and possibly next president of the US >>>> talking.

honest.

Funny thing is, the person calling others "crooked" is accused of 91
    felonies.

Those are all FAKE "crimes" he's "accused" of, Ed...

Haven't you heard of "political persecution"...???

Remember why Gandhi and Solzhenitsyn were imprisoned...

President Trump's sleazy accusers will spend Eternity in a Lake of Fire... >>
    And will forever be SLAVES of the KLINGONS...!!!

But how do you explain the rumours that Hillary is up for Sainthood in the catholic church when she dies?!? ;)

And her husband is silently wishing, "Hurry up and die, and SOON, please... I want to be known as the widower of a SAINT whilst I'm still alive...!!!"...

Lol...

;-)

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Ed P on Fri Mar 22 14:03:11 2024
    Ed P wrote:

On 3/22/2024 3:31 AM, GM wrote:
    Ed P wrote:

"Crooked Joe". That's the former and possibly next president of the US >>>> talking.

honest.

felonies.

This political prosecution of  victimless crimes is something out of
    Putin's Russia...

Yes, it is

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/jack-posobiec-jan-6-2024-cpac-rcna140225

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — Jack Posobiec set off a wave of alarm after a
    video of his welcome speech at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference went viral. In the video, the right-wing activist and media personality said he wanted to end democracy and finish the mission of
    Jan. 6, installing a God-first government.

“Welcome to the end of democracy. We are here to overthrow it completely,” he said Thursday. “We didn’t get all the way there on Jan. 6, but we will endeavor to get rid of it.”

<yawn>

Ed, you watch too much TV...

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Mike Duffy on Fri Mar 22 14:35:13 2024
    Mike Duffy wrote:

On 2024-03-22, GM wrote:

He was an unemployed communist of questionable parentage and
    indeterminate sexual orientation. Plus a Jewish table dancer.

;-)

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Ed P on Fri Mar 22 14:43:04 2024
    Ed P wrote:

Ed P wrote:

wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in
    november! =)

As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities... >>>>>>> wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

honest.

felonies.

Putin's Russia...
    A lot of ignorant people are happy that a political prosecution under
    the color of the law is happening - as long as it happens to an
    unsympathetic character like Trump...
    A lot of people who cry "civil rights" if a murderer spends so much as a
    day in jail are quite happy about this convoluted, connect-the-dots
    prosecution...

You think you can enjoy a little bit of this fascism as long as it goes
    after the right people...
    Fools...!!!

Yes, it started with Trump shouting "Lock her up"

Like a good dictator, Trump is taking over the RNC. This is the guy
    that admires other dictators.

One of the BEST moments in my life was seeing Hillary Clintoon's sniveling crying face, when she conceded the 2016 election to President - elect T - R - U - M - P...

GAWD, I LOVED it...!!!

Her obit will start off with, "Hillary Clinton, failed 2016 Presidential candidate, has died..."

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 22 15:36:52 2024
    D wrote:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024, GM wrote:

Ed P wrote:

Ed P wrote:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:18:37 -0500, Hank Rogers <Hank@nospam.invalid> >>>>>> wrote:

D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't wait to celebrate his victory with you all here in november! >>>>>>>>>> =)

As long as we can invite Hank Rogers and Ed P. to the festivities... >>>>>>>>> wouldn't want them to miss out on all the good cheer...!!!

These junior school level insults coming from Americans, is that a >>>>>> cultural thing? Yesterday, I heard Trump say that the word "crooked" >>>>>> used to be reserved for Hillary Clinton. But now that she's no longer >>>>>> relevant, the word can be used for Joe Biden. So from now on it's
    "Crooked Joe". That's the former and possibly next president of the US >>>>>> talking.

honest.

Funny thing is, the person calling others "crooked" is accused of 91 >>>>> felonies.

Putin's Russia...
    A lot of ignorant people are happy that a political prosecution under the >>>> color of the law is happening - as long as it happens to an unsympathetic >>>> character like Trump...
    A lot of people who cry "civil rights" if a murderer spends so much as a >>>> day in jail are quite happy about this convoluted, connect-the-dots
    prosecution...

You think you can enjoy a little bit of this fascism as long as it goes >>>> after the right people...
    Fools...!!!

Yes, it started with Trump shouting "Lock her up"

Like a good dictator, Trump is taking over the RNC. This is the guy that >>> admires other dictators.

One of the BEST moments in my life was seeing Hillary Clintoon's sniveling >> crying face, when she conceded the 2016 election to President - elect T - R -
    U - M - P...

GAWD, I LOVED it...!!!

Her obit will start off with, "Hillary Clinton, failed 2016 Presidential
    candidate, has died..."

Oh yes! I had a good time watching various swedish journalists crying and hand wringing when they reported Trump had won. Happy memories! =)

As joyful an experience as seeing the Berlin Wall fall on 9 Novmeber 1989...

I had friends in East Germany and also West Berlin, I was SO happy that the vile DDR regime crumbled...

One Dresden friend was in prison for the crime of "Attempting to flee the Republic"... he had tried to cross into Austria from Hungary in 1984 and was caught...

I also had Czech friends, their Velvet Revolution was so very inspiring...

The East German and the Czechs were very brave; despite despotic regimes, freedom eventually prevailed...

I had visited both places for extended times in the late 70's, and I stayed with my friends there... even the fact that they hosted me, a guest from "the capitalist West" in their homes, earned them "marks" on their secret police records...

In the 60's I had a lot of penfriends all over the world, from 1965 a nice West Berlin family, and from early 1968 a nice Prague family...

The letters from the Czechs were full of hopeful news about Dubcek's attempts to have "socialism with a human face"...

After the August 1968 Warsaw Pact invasion, the letters they sent were heartbreaking - by the end of 1968, strict censorship of mail was re - instated, so we could not write freely to each about "political matters"...

I consider myself very lucky to have seen socialism "live and up close" - the human misery, the Berlin Wall, the Stasi and STB spying on everyone (I have a Stasi file, even as a Western visitor)... the awful red tape even a Western visitor had to go
    through, e.g. visas, "minimum daily currency exchange"...

As one of my Czech friends who was a communist party member told me, "Greg, we are like radishes - red on the outside and white inside - no one takes socialism seriously..." She and her husband joined the party for career reasons: she was station
    manager at Prague Airport for Lufthansa, a nice job with travel benefits... he worked in the Economics Ministry... they had a lovely home in a leafy Prague suburb, a VW Beetle and a Fiat ("An ITALIAN Fiat, no one of those crummy Russian 'Lada' copies!",
    they said, lol...)...

Ah, Cold War memories...!!!

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Leonard Blaisdell on Fri Mar 22 19:44:01 2024
    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

On 2024-03-22, GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com> wrote:

A lot of ignorant people are happy that a political prosecution under the color of the law is happening - as long as it happens to an unsympathetic character like Trump...

A lot of people who cry "civil rights" if a murderer spends so much as a day in jail are quite happy about this convoluted, connect-the-dots prosecution...

You think you can enjoy a little bit of this fascism as long as it goes after the right people...

Fools...!!!

Our socialist, I'm sorry, democrat friends have flipped the following
    prose to fit their philosophy and are eagerly awaiting the results.
    They won't be good for anybody.

They first came for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me
    There was no one left to speak for me.

I just pulled a Joe Biden and plagiarized.

Ah, excellent, Leo... this puts me in a good mood, and since it's Friday I think I'll have me a glass of wine or three...!!!

;-)

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Leonard Blaisdell on Fri Mar 22 19:53:37 2024
    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

On 2024-03-22, GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com> wrote:

Fools...!!!

Our socialist, I'm sorry, democrat friends have flipped the following
    prose to fit their philosophy and are eagerly awaiting the results.
    They won't be good for anybody.

They first came for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me
    There was no one left to speak for me.

I just pulled a Joe Biden and plagiarized.

And it's coming a LOT faster than you think - for example, here is some bad news for Scotland, and for free speech in general... read and weep...!!!

"… I am truly appalled that the legacy of Thomas Aikenhead and the Scottish Enlightenment…has been trashed by the Scottish Parliament and the Yousaf Government with the Hate Crime and Public Order Act. From April 1st 2024, saying the wrong thing at
    your own dinner table, let alone in a drunken pub rant like young Thomas did in 1697, will once again land you in significant trouble with the law, 327 years, eight months and 24 days after Thomas died.

R.I.P. The Scottish Enlightenment 1697-2024

by Alex Tabarrok March 22, 2024 in Current Affairs History Law

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2024/03/r-i-p-the-scottish-enlightenment-1697-2024.html

"The Scottish Enlightenment will die on April 1st 2024, exactly 327 years, eight months and 24 days after the incident that provoked it. For on April 1st the Hate Crime and Public Order Act (Scotland) 2021 comes into force, an Act which will criminalise
    speech and opinion deemed ‘hateful’ even if spoken in the privacy of your own home...

On January 8th 1697, Thomas Aikenhead, a 20 year-old student, was marched the two miles from the Old Tolbooth Prison on the High Street to a windswept sandy hillock just to the west of the causeway that crossed the marshes between Edinburgh and the port
    town of Leith, known as Gallow Lee. Surrounded by the pious prayers of the clergymen of the Kirk (the Church of Scotland), Thomas was hanged by the neck until he was dead...

What was Thomas – a murderer? A rapist? Was he one of Edinburgh’s notorious ‘Resurrection Men’? No. Young Thomas’s crime was that in an Edinburgh tavern on Christmas Eve 1696, he had a drink and went on a rant offending the Church and its
    stranglehold on Scottish culture. He was reported, arrested and tried: “The jury found Aikenhead guilty of cursing and railing against God, denying the incarnation and the Trinity and scoffing at the Scriptures.”...

Thomas Aikenhead was the last person to be hanged for Blasphemy in Britain. As such he became a martyr and inspiration. The hanging of a young man for the crime of having a rant in a pub late at night became seen as an act of tyranny and oppression so
    heinous it was the spark that turned a barren minor nation on the north west fringe of Europe into the blazing furnace of ideas that was the Scottish Enlightenment. Ideas that would change the world forever...

… I am truly appalled that the legacy of Aikenhead and the Scottish Enlightenment…has been trashed by the Scottish Parliament and the Yousaf Government. From April 1st 2024, saying the wrong thing at your own dinner table, let alone in a drunken pub
    rant like young Thomas did, will once again land you in significant trouble with the law, 327 years, eight months and 24 days after Thomas died...

Mr. Yousaf, his ministers and those who drafted and will enforce this law would do well to remember how history judged those who hanged Thomas Aikenhead on that bleak winter morning on the road to Leith. In doing so they should recall that this gross act
    of overreach and tyranny was the high tide of the power of the Kirk, power which was swept aside by the forces unleashed when the people said ‘enough’..."

The whole article is here:

https://dailysceptic.org/2024/03/20/r-i-p-the-scottish-enlightenment-1697-2024/

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05