• This Cleaning Powder Was Invented in the 1880s - It Still Keeps Kitchen

From GM@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 10 19:19:20 2024
    This Cleaning Powder Was Invented in the 1880s. It Still Keeps My Kitchen Gear Looking New.

By Christine Cyr Clisset - Published February 22, 2024 - New York Times

"Bar Keepers Friend: A staff-favorite cleaner that brings out the shine

This mildly abrasive cleaner brightens metal, removes rust, and cleans all kinds of tough stains and gunk with help from a plant-derived acid. Just don’t use it on delicate surfaces..."

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/bar-keepers-friend-cleaner/

In a time-honored tradition, marriage gave me a life partner and my first good kitchen gear—including two shiny All-Clad skillets.

During that first year of marriage, between hosting dinner parties and cooking extravagant meals for two, I’d admire the glimmering skillets, which seemed to symbolize, in a small way, adulthood.

Sure, I was hitched. But heck yeah, I’d finally gotten heirloom-quality cookware!

Inevitably, though, the gleam faded.

Just as my husband and I passed from the honeymoon phase into the complexity of learning to live together, the skillets developed a patina, acquiring a yellow cast, baked-on oil, and scorch marks. Scrubby pads failed to get the gunk off.

Then a good friend tipped me off to Bar Keepers Friend—aka BKF, for those in the know. It was, she assured me, the way to clean stainless steel.

She was right. The mildly abrasive powder quickly restored the glimmer to my cookware.

I’ve since learned that this powder, developed in the 1880s no less, shines up a lot more than just skillets.

It polishes stainless steel beautifully:

Sinks. Faucets. Stove-burner drip pans. I’ve shined them all with Bar Keepers Friend.

Just a sprinkle of powder and a brisk scrub with a sponge removes much of the dulling grime that accumulates on stainless steel in the kitchen and bathroom.

Oxalic acid is Bar Keepers Friend’s secret sauce. This compound, which naturally occurs in many fruits and vegetables, works wonders, shining up metal and removing rust.

Of course, you can find other abrasives that are good cleaners. Wirecutter’s kitchen team highly recommends baking soda for stained pots and pans, for example.

But Bar Keepers Friend is what they recommend for tougher chores such as cleaning ovens and removing the seasoning from a baking sheet.

How to clean with Bar Keepers Friend:

The instructions recommend that you sprinkle the powder on a wet surface and then gently rub with a wet sponge or cloth. Most crucially, you’re supposed to wipe or rinse off the mixture no more than a minute after applying it. Otherwise, it may cause
    discoloration or scratch the surface.

I generally follow those rules, but I go rogue when cleaning especially dirty pans. Wirecutter’s kitchen team and I have both found that it takes a lot more scrubbing to thoroughly remove baked-on oil and scorch marks.

We have yet to encounter any damage, likely because we’re using cookware made from high-quality stainless steel. But don’t worry if your stainless steel isn’t as durable—as long as you’re following the directions, Bar Keepers Friend will still
    work wonders. The company has tips for handling really scorched pans, too. (BKF also sells a specialized cookware powder for removing stains and burnt-on food, but we haven’t tested it.)

For any surface that you’re cleaning, the company recommends testing an inconspicuous spot first and wearing gloves when working, as the oxalic acid can irritate skin.

The gentle rub that the container recommends might seem counterintuitive when you’re cleaning a really dirty surface, but I’ve found that light, quick scrubbing is often more effective than applying a ton of pressure.

In a recent test, senior editor Marguerite Preston and updates writer Abigail Bailey pitted baking soda against Bar Keepers Friend and found that the latter was far more effective at removing baked-on oil and scorch marks.

And although both abrasive cleaners can scrub off stains and scratches, our kitchen team found that baking soda failed to lift off the yellow patina that stainless steel develops from high heat.

Bar Keepers Friend, on the other hand, restored our test pan to its shiny silver color.

It makes old look new again:

Bar Keepers Friend is particularly adept at giving new life to old things.

I was reminded of this two summers ago when I found an abandoned enameled Le Creuset omelet pan coated in baked-on oil and burn marks. Bar Keepers Friend made it look virtually new, allowing me to gloat that I’d scored a $175 pan off a neighborhood
    giveaway table.

A co-worker, supervising editor Joshua Lyon, achieved a similar result cleaning porcelain in a 1924 cabin that he and his husband bought in 2011.

“The kitchen’s porcelain farmhouse sink gave off dead-tooth vibes thanks to an overall grayish tone and dark streaks that wouldn’t come out no matter how hard I scrubbed with kitchen cleaners or baking soda,” he told me. “I considered replacing
    it until we tried Bar Keepers Friend, which easily returned the sink to a gleaming white after only one application.”

Joshua’s second “BKF miracle” happened in his new house. Previous owners had covered a circa-1930s porcelain-tile bathroom floor with carpet, which left dark adhesive stains.

“The tiles and grout aren’t glazed and are much more fragile than our old sink, so I’d always been concerned about using anything too abrasive,” he said.

He decided to put BKF up against baking-soda paste on a small section of the floor, and the results were immediate. “There’s now a square of white in a sea of grunge,” he said. “Finishing the project will be a big chore, because I’ll need to
    work in small sections due to how old the tile is and BKF’s one-minute rule. But it’ll be worth it.”

Bar Keepers Friend’s corporate administrator, Janet McKinley, who has worked at the company for 47 years, told Wirecutter associate staff writer Ellen Airhart that she uses the powder to whiten the soles of tennis shoes and remove the “green yuck”
    off vinyl siding.

But it’s not magic, and you shouldn’t use it on everything:

Despite all the success, this is not fairy dust.

You shouldn’t use Bar Keepers Friend on delicate surfaces, such as marble, wood, cast iron, nonstick pans, painted surfaces, and other things that scratch easily. This Reddit thread chronicles some mishaps, along with a company response as to what
    surfaces you should avoid.

Also, don’t use it on yourself.

McKinley recalled someone once asking her about using the cleanser on their false teeth. Not recommended!

“You don’t want our product in your mouth,” she emphasized.

It sometimes takes work, but it’s worth the effort:

I’ve found that for particularly stained cookware, BKF still requires putting my back and arms into the scrub.

I recently tested BKF on one of my skillets, which I’d been neglecting. Rubbing off the scorches and baked-on oil from half of the bottom of the pan took a good 15 minutes. My triceps ached.

I may have added a few more scratches with all of that scrubbing, and I’m okay with that. I’ve scratched many stainless steel pans while cleaning them over the years, but the scratches give them character.

And hey, my two All-Clad skillets are still going strong after 14 years. So is my marriage.

With proper care, all three should last a lifetime..."

Ellen Airhart, Marguerite Preston, and Abigail Bailey contributed reporting. This article was edited by Joshua Lyon and Catherine Kast.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ItsJoanNotJoAnn@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 10 20:41:06 2024
    GM wrote:

This Cleaning Powder Was Invented in the 1880s. It Still Keeps My Kitchen Gear Looking New.

This mildly abrasive cleaner brightens metal, removes rust, and cleans all kinds of tough stains and gunk with help from a plant-derived acid. Just don’t use it on delicate surfaces..."

I will agree with its' cleaning power. It makes my tri-ply stainless
    steel cookware look like the day I brought it home. It's not meant,
    though to remove baked on food, just spiff up the cookware and remove
    stains. (Why does macaroni leave its' 'shadow' in the bottom of a pot?)

Those little 'freckles' that accumulate around gas burners are banished
    with a light scrubbing with a little sprinkle of this product as well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy Hamilton@21:1/5 to ItsJoanNotJoAnn on Sun Mar 10 21:58:29 2024
    On 2024-03-10, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:
    GM wrote:

stains. (Why does macaroni leave its' 'shadow' in the bottom of a pot?)

It's a little harsh on my hands. I use Bon Ami for most things, but
    I bring out the Barkeepers' Friend when I really want the oxalic acid.

--
    Cindy Hamilton

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Rogers@21:1/5 to BryanGSimmons on Mon Mar 11 14:04:53 2024
    BryanGSimmons wrote:
    On 3/10/2024 4:58 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
    GM wrote:

This Cleaning Powder Was Invented in the 1880s. It Still Keeps My
    Kitchen Gear Looking New.

By Christine Cyr Clisset - Published February 22, 2024 - New York Times >>>
    "Bar Keepers Friend: A staff-favorite cleaner that brings out the shine >>>
    This mildly abrasive cleaner brightens metal, removes rust, and cleans >>>> all kinds of tough stains and gunk with help from a plant-derived acid. >>>> Just don’t use it on delicate surfaces..."

stains. (Why does macaroni leave its' 'shadow' in the bottom of a pot?) >>>

Nothing abrasive should ever be used on porcelain. That includes oxalic acid, and even baking soda. When I ran cleaning crews, I told all the new people to never touch any type of cleanser, and that if I found anyone
    using cleanser that they would be fired on the spot for "willful
    destruction of company property."

How many did you end up firing?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GM@21:1/5 to Hank Rogers on Mon Mar 11 19:37:27 2024
    Hank Rogers wrote:

BryanGSimmons wrote:
    On 3/10/2024 4:58 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
    GM wrote:

This Cleaning Powder Was Invented in the 1880s. It Still Keeps My
    Kitchen Gear Looking New.

By Christine Cyr Clisset - Published February 22, 2024 - New York Times >>>>
    "Bar Keepers Friend:  A staff-favorite cleaner that brings out the shine >>>>
    This mildly abrasive cleaner brightens metal, removes rust, and cleans >>>>> all kinds of tough stains and gunk with help from a plant-derived acid. >>>>> Just don’t use it on delicate surfaces..."

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/bar-keepers-friend-cleaner/ >>>>
    I will agree with its' cleaning power.  It makes my tri-ply stainless >>>> steel cookware look like the day I brought it home.  It's not meant,
    stains.  (Why does macaroni leave its' 'shadow' in the bottom of a pot?) >>>>
    Those little 'freckles' that accumulate around gas burners are banished >>>> with a light scrubbing with a little sprinkle of this product as well.

It's a little harsh on my hands.  I use Bon Ami for most things, but

Nothing abrasive should ever be used on porcelain.  That includes oxalic
    acid, and even baking soda.  When I ran cleaning crews, I told all the new >> people to never touch any type of cleanser, and that if I found anyone
    using cleanser that they would be fired on the spot for "willful
    destruction of company property."

Well, John KUTHE for SURE...

--
    GM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ItsJoanNotJoAnn@21:1/5 to BryanGSimmons on Mon Mar 11 20:07:15 2024
    BryanGSimmons wrote:

stains. (Why does macaroni leave its' 'shadow' in the bottom of a pot?) >>>

Nothing abrasive should ever be used on porcelain. That includes oxalic acid, and even baking soda. When I ran cleaning crews, I told all the
    new people to never touch any type of cleanser, and that if I found
    anyone using cleanser that they would be fired on the spot for "willful destruction of company property."

Baking soda is a versatile and commonly used household cleaner, but its
    impact on porcelain surfaces can vary.

Porcelain Sinks:

Gentle Cleaning: Baking soda is generally safe for cleaning porcelain sinks. Here’s how you can use it:

Quick Clean: Start by giving your sink a quick clean with gentle dish soap
    and a sponge. Wipe away grease or soap scum and rinse thoroughly.

Deep Clean: For tougher stains, sprinkle baking soda directly onto a damp sponge or microfiber cloth. Scrub lightly in a circular motion. The baking
    soda alone may lift stains.

Hydrogen Peroxide Solution: If needed, add hydrogen peroxide to the mix.
    Spray hydrogen peroxide over the baking soda-covered sink. Let it sit
    for at least 30 minutes (up to an hour) before rinsing.

Avoid Abrasives: Do not use steel wool or other hard abrasive materials on porcelain sinks, as they can dull the finish and potentially scratch it.

Porcelain Tiles:
    Porcelain Tile Floors: Baking soda remedies are appropriate for linoleum, porcelain, vinyl, laminates, and ceramic floors. They will not harm glazed tiles.

Caution: While baking soda is slightly abrasive, it’s mild and generally
    safe to use on porcelain. However, avoid using it excessively or with force, especially on delicate finishes.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Bar Keepers Friend, a powerful powdered cleaning product, is indeed effective for tackling stubborn dirt and grease.

How it interacts with porcelain:

Porcelain: Bar Keepers Friend is not abrasive and will not scratch delicate porcelain surfaces. Its gentle yet potent formula can safely clean surface stains, including hard water spots, soap scum, rust, and general dirt on porcelain.

Other Surfaces to Use Bar Keepers Friend On:

Stainless Steel: Suitable for anything from sheet pans to sinks.
    Glass: Effective for glass surfaces.
    Chrome: Works well on chrome.
    Stovetops: Ideal for cleaning stovetops.
    Instant Pots: Safe for Instant Pots.
    Coated Cast Iron Cookware (e.g., Dutch ovens): Cleans coated cast iron
    surfaces effectively.

Remember that using Bar Keepers Friend correctly is crucial:

Avoid prolonged contact: Rinse it off after just one minute to prevent discoloration and scratches.

Wear gloves: The oxalic acid in the product can harm your skin.
    Don’t mix with other cleaning products: Mixing can cause dangerous chemical reactions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to bryangsimmons@gmail.com on Tue Mar 12 07:16:16 2024
    On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:13:07 -0500, BryanGSimmons
    <bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:

On 3/11/2024 2:04 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
    BryanGSimmons wrote:

Nothing abrasive should ever be used on porcelain.  That includes
    oxalic acid, and even baking soda.  When I ran cleaning crews, I told
    all the new people to never touch any type of cleanser, and that if I
    found anyone using cleanser that they would be fired on the spot for
    "willful destruction of company property."

None. They all knew that I was serious. I used to tell my long term >employees that they should tell new ones that there was good news and
    bad news. The bad news was that Bryan is an asshole. The good news is
    that he's fair. He's an asshole to everybody.

Isn't that what Ted Bundy also said to his victims?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05