• Perfex pepper grinder problem

From eshelkraus@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 22 05:37:22 2016
    I've had mine since '76 . Thete must be a problem as I'm getting whole bits of salt rock on my food. Pretty yukky.
    Will try a good clean!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From 6064donovan@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ben Lotto on Wed Feb 8 13:40:26 2017
    On Friday, January 8, 2010 at 5:51:47 AM UTC-5, Ben Lotto wrote:
    The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
    a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:

Any suggestions for fixing this myself?

How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
    on the grinder?

Thanks in advance,
    -Ben

I have a very old 3 inch Perfex pepper grinder that was my father's. My father just passed away and I have inherited it, yeah! However, the knob on the end of the grinder handle has fallen off. I would love to locate a replacement part for it. The
    knob of the top also fell off and was lost so I have found another knob to use for it. However, if I find where to purchase the replacement knob for handle I'd also purchase the top knob. I have found that the small family owned company that
    manufacturers them in Etienne, France is called Ambrunn, but I can't figure out how to get in touch with them to order the parts. And if I do find how to get them, will I need to speak French to describe what I need? In trouble if that is the case.
    Thanks, Kerry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lgmi@bellsouth.net@21:1/5 to Wayne Boatwright on Sat Nov 18 08:44:55 2017
    On Monday, January 11, 2010 at 12:33:38 AM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    On Fri 08 Jan 2010 07:21:41p, Sky told us...

Ben Lotto wrote:

The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
    a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:

Any suggestions for fixing this myself?

How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
    on the grinder?

Thanks in advance,
    -Ben

Did you 'googgle' first before asking here? Did you check "perfex.com"
    to see if it existed or its parent company's website? A good place to check is to ask your local librarian for the company's contact
    information. Another option would be to look on Ebay or the local Craigslist to find another exact pepper grinder and cannibalize (sp?)
    the parts ;) Those are options I'd try :)) Good luck - I hope you get a good response whatever you learn.

Sky

I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem. I've had the same Perfex pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or
    allspice berries to the mix.

A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly clean it. If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

--

~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,
    Reading your post has given me hope.
    I have a Perfex Crank Pepper Mill from around the 1980's and I recently disassembled to clean thoroughly and, ack! didn't think to take an image of the assembly for reassembly. Any chance you'd have the time to create a tutorial for how the thing is
    supposed to go back together, or at least a written, step-by-step? I have a metal washer outside the body, below the crank handle and I know it's not meant to be there but can't figure out how or where it is meant to be situated.
    Any assistance would be so appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chandra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Pawlowski@21:1/5 to lgmi@bellsouth.net on Tue Nov 21 10:30:44 2017
    On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:44:55 -0800 (PST), lgmi@bellsouth.net wrote:

I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem. I've had the same Perfex >> pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have
    completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a >> thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or

A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on
    top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly
    clean it. If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut
    around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,
    I have a Perfex Crank Pepper Mill from around the 1980's and I recently disassembled to clean thoroughly and, ack! didn't think to take an image of the assembly for reassembly. Any chance you'd have the time to create a tutorial for how the thing is
    supposed to go back together, or at least a written, step-by-step? I have a metal washer outside the body, below the crank handle and I know it's not meant to be there but can't figure out how or where it is meant to be situated.

Kind regards,

Chandra

Don't set your expectations too high. Wayne posted this 7 years ago
    and has not been back since.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Johnson@21:1/5 to Ed Pawlowski on Thu Aug 4 10:48:36 2022
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 9:30:44 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
    On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:44:55 -0800 (PST), lg...@bellsouth.net wrote:

On Monday, January 11, 2010 at 12:33:38 AM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote: >> On Fri 08 Jan 2010 07:21:41p, Sky told us...
    I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem. I've had the same Perfex
    pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have
    completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
    thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or

A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on >> top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly >> clean it. If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,

Kind regards,

Chandra

Roughly 5 years after Chandra posted her questions - and a full 12 years after Wayne's last post - I have the answer:

The washer you have placed on the bottom of the unit actually sits between the spring and the top of the unit. If you're re-assembling upside-down, you will thread the rod back through the mill via the hole on the top, then drop the washer onto the rod,
    then add the spring, then the inner portion of the burr/grinder assembly and finally you can add back on the bottom nut.

I just disassembled one of these so that I can clean the rusty and oxidized bits and but it back into use. I'm taking note from any assembly/disassembly in which you have two examples or sides: the salt mill is staying assembled until I have fully re-
    assembled the pepper mill, so that I might always have a known-good reference point.

Chandra, I hope this is useful to you a full half-decade later.

Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john kauf@21:1/5 to Eric Johnson on Sat Mar 4 13:31:34 2023
    On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 11:48:37 AM UTC-6, Eric Johnson wrote:

On Monday, January 11, 2010 at 12:33:38 AM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote: >> On Fri 08 Jan 2010 07:21:41p, Sky told us...
    pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have
    completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
    thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or

top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly >> clean it. If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut >> around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,

Kind regards,

Chandra
    Roughly 5 years after Chandra posted her questions - and a full 12 years after Wayne's last post - I have the answer:

The washer you have placed on the bottom of the unit actually sits between the spring and the top of the unit. If you're re-assembling upside-down, you will thread the rod back through the mill via the hole on the top, then drop the washer onto the rod,
    then add the spring, then the inner portion of the burr/grinder assembly and finally you can add back on the bottom nut.

I just disassembled one of these so that I can clean the rusty and oxidized bits and but it back into use. I'm taking note from any assembly/disassembly in which you have two examples or sides: the salt mill is staying assembled until I have fully re-
    assembled the pepper mill, so that I might always have a known-good reference point.

Eric
    You forgot the little 1/4" spring that goes on the bottom nut. I still can't figure out how that works and exactly where it goes. I believe it goes on the shaft of the grinder, on the outside after you assemble everything else and then put on the nut.
    Not exactly sure about this, but without the little springs the grinders won't work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick Blasz@21:1/5 to john kauf on Sat Sep 23 13:32:48 2023
    On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 4:31:35 PM UTC-5, john kauf wrote:

pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have >> completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
    thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or >> allspice berries to the mix.

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,
    I have a Perfex Crank Pepper Mill from around the 1980's and I recently disassembled to clean thoroughly and, ack! didn't think to take an image of the assembly for reassembly. Any chance you'd have the time to create a tutorial for how the thing
    is supposed to go back together, or at least a written, step-by-step? I have a metal washer outside the body, below the crank handle and I know it's not meant to be there but can't figure out how or where it is meant to be situated.

Kind regards,

Chandra

The washer you have placed on the bottom of the unit actually sits between the spring and the top of the unit. If you're re-assembling upside-down, you will thread the rod back through the mill via the hole on the top, then drop the washer onto the
    rod, then add the spring, then the inner portion of the burr/grinder assembly and finally you can add back on the bottom nut.

Eric
    You forgot the little 1/4" spring that goes on the bottom nut. I still can't figure out how that works and exactly where it goes. I believe it goes on the shaft of the grinder, on the outside after you assemble everything else and then put on the nut.
    Not exactly sure about this, but without the little springs the grinders won't work.
    Anyone have experience fixing a detached handle . . . the handle turns freely without engaging the spindle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick Blasz@21:1/5 to john kauf on Sat Sep 23 13:36:26 2023
    On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 4:31:35 PM UTC-5, john kauf wrote:

pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have >> completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
    thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or >> allspice berries to the mix.

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,
    I have a Perfex Crank Pepper Mill from around the 1980's and I recently disassembled to clean thoroughly and, ack! didn't think to take an image of the assembly for reassembly. Any chance you'd have the time to create a tutorial for how the thing
    is supposed to go back together, or at least a written, step-by-step? I have a metal washer outside the body, below the crank handle and I know it's not meant to be there but can't figure out how or where it is meant to be situated.

Kind regards,

Chandra

The washer you have placed on the bottom of the unit actually sits between the spring and the top of the unit. If you're re-assembling upside-down, you will thread the rod back through the mill via the hole on the top, then drop the washer onto the
    rod, then add the spring, then the inner portion of the burr/grinder assembly and finally you can add back on the bottom nut.

Eric

No, fratello, la mia base di conoscenze è sufficientemente ampia da non doverla cercare. . .
    Anyone have experience repairing the crank on the Prefex ? It has come detached and spins freely of the crank. No parts from the manufacturer are available.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05