• Question from couple's therapist re: veg/non-veg relationship

From SLA, LPC@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 16 18:19:54 2017
    Hello all, I am a psychotherapist and am hoping for veg community input on an issue that has been raised in counseling a client. She is moving from a veg to a non-veg diet and relationship issues are expected to arise. This person has observed
    vegetarianism for 20+ years in the home, out of respect for her partner's preferences. It has been an act of compromise, as she believes it is acceptable to occasionally consume humanely-raised animals. For years, and again recently, her doctors and
    nutritionists have advised that she is not getting enough protein, despite her efforts to ensure plenty of plant-based protein. She works in the trades.

Today, we were turning over the issue: she feels she should be able to attend to her own health and wellbeing needs in her own home. However, her partner has a moral stance against this. We talked about possible equivalents (tolerating homophobia? racism?
    ) that would feel equally horrifying to this client. Yet, she is also someone who tends to put the needs of others before her own, which can be hurtful to her. I'd very much, with complete respect to the strong feelings and beliefs people may have, like
    to hear folks' thoughts on this. I am not looking for tips on how to help her increase her protein via veg means (I cannot give this sort of advice, anyway, not being a nutritionist), but am very interested in hearing people's perspectives and
    experiences. Thank you very much!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)