• Anyone familiar with Parkers Ranch - Ohio?

From hfwagner01@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 29 12:37:44 2016
    Yeah, I was one of Mam's brats back then. Spent a couple summers in day camp. I rode the mules Pat & Mike with John Devinnie (sp) & was regularly dumped in the river. My sister had an Arab named Ibn Nahar up in third barn. Before that she had a 5 gated
    horse named Chief. I road Blondie a lot & rode in several Wild West shows. Hung around with Ron Schmidtke, Dale Berg & Chuck Burnison. Dated Bonnie Smith, Sally Yeager & Bev Bateman. Bob Gump & Moose were my heroes. Absolute best years of my life !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mnieman150@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Judy Bergman on Sun Nov 13 09:32:09 2016
    On Wednesday, May 22, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Judy Bergman wrote:
    Did anyone on rec.eq ride at Parker's Ranch in North Olmstead Ohio in the
    mid to late 1950's? I spent weekends and summers there in 5th and 6th
    grade, and moved to Arizona in 1957. My name in those days was Judy Van Zanen. The people I remember the most are Bonnie Smith, last I knew had
    last name of Boehm and lived in Tyler Texas, Shirley Harmon, and people
    with first names of Millie, Mary, John, Chuck, and a trainer named
    Eugenia. Mrs. Adele Von Ohl Parker, who at one time took Annie Oakley's
    place in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, was in her 70's at the time, and
    her pride horse was Patty McDonald, a Saddlebred. Anybody know if Parkers
    (on Mastick Road, I think) is still there? Anybody know anybody who rode there?

Judy Bergmann
    Prescott AZ
    judyb@bslnet.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mnieman150@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Judy Bergman on Sun Nov 13 09:37:45 2016
    On Wednesday, May 22, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Judy Bergman wrote:
    Did anyone on rec.eq ride at Parker's Ranch in North Olmstead Ohio in the mid to late 1950's? I spent weekends and summers there in 5th and 6th
    grade, and moved to Arizona in 1957. My name in those days was Judy Van Zanen. The people I remember the most are Bonnie Smith, last I knew had
    last name of Boehm and lived in Tyler Texas, Shirley Harmon, and people
    with first names of Millie, Mary, John, Chuck, and a trainer named
    Eugenia. Mrs. Adele Von Ohl Parker, who at one time took Annie Oakley's place in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, was in her 70's at the time, and
    her pride horse was Patty McDonald, a Saddlebred. Anybody know if Parkers (on Mastick Road, I think) is still there? Anybody know anybody who rode there?

Judy Bergmann
    Prescott AZ
    judyb@bslnet.com

Hi, my name is Marsha Nieman. I was 12 years old when my parents sent me, my brothers Stu and Dale to Parkers Ranch summer program. I always rode Phantom. A big black horse. He was the first one on the right of the stable. While on the last ride in the
    park, Phantom rubbed me off on a tree and I got a fractured hip. Loved that horse. After I got out of the hospital, I went to see him on my crutches. Those were great memories It must have been in 1954,1955 summers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From thomas.shannon57@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 29 19:00:03 2017
    I spent a wonderful summer [day camp] at Parkers Ranch--probably about 1954. One highlight was when a horse stepped on toe of a boy in front of me (no serious injury).
    But my most vivid memory was riding back home to Rocky River in the "Woody" one afternoon when, as we crossed a railroad track, the bumping caused the tailgate in back to come loose and drop off on the tracks. Nobody was in the third seat/nobody got
    hurt/ but my mother near had a stroke when I told her what fun it was!
    Tom Shannon

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rjmkathyc@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 7 16:09:00 2018
    Hello,my name back then was Kathy Saunders. My time at
    Parker's was at the last few years. Yet, I recall Mary Rankin, Eugenia, Bonnie Smith ,Carol Willianson, Dorthy,Shirly Care was my best buddy.A girl Mitch, who lived in Lakewood, loved a white horse named Lance. I believe she was permitted to take him to
    a Lakewood High School football game a rode him down for he field.
    I too rode Blonde, with the tiny ears,who loved to roll to in the river. There was a pinto named Spy, a curly hair Bay named Samson. He probably had Cushing's..

Todays safey standards, would have shut down Parker's. But we has a blast every day. Smelled live horse manure from mucking out stall before you could ride. My family made me ride in the back seat because I was so stinky.
    But, as I discovered 50 years , she was a great teacher, amazing horsewoman . What she taught us as children to be good horseman have all the same elements of today's "Natural Horsemenship Trainers.
    Was truely one of the most significant experiences of my life.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mildy.roberts1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to hfwag...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 30 14:00:40 2018
    On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 1:37:50 PM UTC-6, hfwag...@gmail.com wrote:
    Yeah, I was one of Mam's brats back then. Spent a couple summers in day camp. I rode the mules Pat & Mike with John Devinnie (sp) & was regularly dumped in the river. My sister had an Arab named Ibn Nahar up in third barn. Before that she had a 5 gated
    horse named Chief. I road Blondie a lot & rode in several Wild West shows. Hung around with Ron Schmidtke, Dale Berg & Chuck Burnison. Dated Bonnie Smith, Sally Yeager & Bev Bateman. Bob Gump & Moose were my heroes. Absolute best years of my life !

Hi Harold,You are correct! Those were indeed the absolute best years of my life as well

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dmillerusa@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 17 19:32:17 2019
    Yes, I am familiar with Parkers ranch. My grandparents, Art and Lucille Miller, my mother, Sue, and uncle, Art, all road there. I have pictures, of several shows and horses from there. One of my favorites is my mom, on Chief.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ajthom53@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 23 05:52:22 2020
    I rode there it was in the 60's. I loved Adele Parker. I have so many fond memories of that place! I wish I would have kept in touch with some of the kids I road with there. I especially remember her house that had chickens and bunnies running all around
    in there. Yes! I remember Hatchet! There was only one person that was allowed to ride Hatchet. One of the camp leader. I believe her name was Shirley. I remember all the horses names as well because we would all line up and pick which one we wanted to
    ride that day. I remember I was terrified to jump my horse. I had Sampson that particular day. Mrs Parker knew I was scared to death! She was a tough lady! She talked me through it and I did it and loved it!! I have so many more memories of that ranch. I
    drive by there just about every day to work and back. I wish so much that I could just drive up that long driveway and see it again!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chrisbacher2469@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 1 12:28:07 2020
    I was too young to take lessons but was allowed to stand by Ma during the classes. That torpedo heater she used in the winter... Her sitting in her rocking chair with shawl and blanket. I adored that Lady.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05