• Horse Rider killed in Colorado

From maura.rumley.16@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Marianne Goodland on Mon Nov 9 10:57:47 2015
    On Thursday, July 8, 1993 at 2:37:20 PM UTC-6, Marianne Goodland wrote:
    Sad to report that a horse rider in Denver was killed in a Fourth of July show in what was (from my view) a completely preventable accident.

The rider, 18-year-old Katie Neilson, was a member of the trick team of the Jefferson county equestrian drill group Westernaires. Katie was preparing to do a trick called the stround when her horse stumbled and fell. Her leg was caught in a strap
    called the death drag strap, and she couldn't get out. The horse dragged her around the arena at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds three times before someone could get him to stop. If you're not familiar with Westernaires, this is a 40+ year-old
    organization of

9-18 year old kids. The biggest problem with this group is that they don't teach the kids how to ride; just how to hang on and ride as fast as they can. Their basic teaching principle in equitation is "toes in, heel down".
    Those of us who have been watching this organization for the past ten years have been dreading this day - it was an accident waiting to happen.
    In trick, the horse is supposedly trained to make one circle of the arena and then stop. In Katie's case, this didn't happen - the horse just kept on going.
    The safety practices of this organization are almost non-existent - some of their teams (they have about 30) practice and perform riding double, triple and worse. Over the past 5 years, at least a dozen horses have been destroyed because of the poor
    training of this organization. Rumor has it that the horse Katie was riding was put down yesterday.

My daughter was a member of Westernaires for five years and got out when it became obvious that appearance was more important than safety. I'm sure anyone that reads this will share our sorrow over this accident - but if you've heard about it, don't
    believe that it was a freak accident. The horse falling was; what happened after that wasn't.
    Marianne

I go to westernaires and i am 11 and starting trick. When you are starting any new specialty (act) they have you go to a meeting. In this meeting they said after this incident Westernaires has been way more carful. Trick riding at westernaires is way
    more safe now and they have been working really hard to make it safe. Wetsernaires has been teaching new trick riders how to get in and out of trick really fast and easy before they start practicing any tricks and are now making sure no one is to big for
    there horse so that the incident of the horse falling over is prevented and they have been teaching the tape holders aka the people who will be in the arena with the riders a procedure if that is to happen. I also noticed you said some thing about
    westernaires riding double triple and worst first of al riding double is not that bad and i happen to be one if those riders we are totally safe about it and Im pretty sure not very many horses have been hurt by it, second of all we only ride triple on
    our big Belgium, third of all its ok if professional horseback riding performers do these things but westernaires cant. Westernaires has became more safe and I understand you thinking westernaires is not safe but it definitely is now. I would also like
    to remind you that putting the horse down probably had nothing to do with westernaires and was most likely decided by Katie Neilson's family and riding horses and doing trick riding is a dangerous practice no matter what and westernaires is trying there
    hardest to make it save. Over all westernaires is a great organization and when you join westernaires it starts to become your second family and it helps bond parents and there children together.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From imintrouble93@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 22 10:46:30 2016
    I know this was from a while back but I needed to say somthing. I am on a team in Westernaires called Crimson Rangers and though I do not agree with some of Westernaires ways I am here to say is that they put safety first. So what you are saying is not
    correct I have been in this organization for 7 years now. They put after first in this organization. They call a "hault ho" the first aid is the first in the arena to make sure everything is okay. Also horse accidents are not preventable. If they are
    going to happen they are going to happen. We put our lived at risk every time we get on a horse. In reality there is no such thing as a safe horse. All horses have their days. Also you cannot blaim her horse training on westernaires. Trick riding is an
    owner only sport. That horse was not trained by westernaires. It was her own personal horse. Westernaires does teach safety they are not about speed. In Tenderfeet (the first level in Westernaires) they focus on teaching the kids how to properly control
    and take care of the horse. They DO NOT go faster until they believe the class is ready. And depending on how experienced or ready you are determines weather you get to move up to the other teams. Also you cannot blaim everything on Westernaires or the
    horse. Things happen. I had a friend this weekend get seriously hurt but that is what it's about. No matter what you put your daughter in. She's going to be in danger of getting hurt with horses. It just comes with the job. It what makes us tough. So
    thank you though for putting in your input. I'll keep "Rididng With Pride"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From angelabelladolce@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dennis O'Connor on Thu Apr 6 20:02:09 2017
    On Thursday, July 8, 1993 at 9:09:52 AM UTC-6, Dennis O'Connor wrote:
    mgoodlan@du.edu (Marianne Goodland) writes:
    ] Sad to report that a horse rider in Denver was killed in a Fourth of
    ] July show in what was (from my view) a completely preventable
    ] accident.
    ]
    ] The rider, 18-year-old Katie Neilson, was a member of the trick team
    ] of the Jefferson county equestrian drill group Westernaires. Katie
    ] was preparing to do a trick called the stround when her horse stumbled
    ] and fell. Her leg was caught in a strap called the death drag strap,
    ] and she couldn't get out. The horse dragged her around the arena at
    ] the Jefferson County Fairgrounds three times before someone could get
    ] him to stop. If you're not familiar with Westernaires, this is a 40+
    ] year-old organization of 9-18 year old kids. The biggest problem with
    ] this group is that they don't teach the kids how to ride; just how to
    ] hang on and ride as fast as they can. Their basic teaching principle
    ] in equitation is "toes in, heel down". Those of us who have been
    ] watching this organization for the past ten years have been dreading
    ] this day - it was an accident waiting to happen. In trick, the horse
    ] is supposedly trained to make one circle of the arena and then stop.
    ] In Katie's case, this didn't happen - the horse just kept on going.
    ] The safety practices of this organization are almost non-existent -
    ] some of their teams (they have about 30) practice and perform riding
    ] double, triple and worse. Over the past 5 years, at least a dozen
    ] horses have been destroyed because of the poor training of this
    ] organization. Rumor has it that the horse Katie was riding was put
    ] down yesterday.

Isn't this the organization that was soliciting on the net a month
    or so ago ? That group was mainly about Christian evangalism, not
    about learning to ride, if I remember. It's easy to believe that such
    a group would view the horses and riding as just a hook to get kids
    into the program for indoctrination, which of course raises the
    odds that safety will be ignored.

Factual correction welcome. Flames to alt.flame.

--
    Dennis O'Connor doconnor@sedona.intel.com
    Intel i960(R) Microprocessor Division Solely responsible for what I do.

I was one of Katie's best friends in high school. She would be sad to hear anyone dogging this program. It brought her tons of joy, and I never heard a thing from her about religion, though her values and consideration of others was astounding.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05