• spurs w/ uneven branches, which way?

From Maria Brockbank@21:1/5 to Bill Kambic on Sun Mar 21 21:45:18 2021
    I am going to be showing the Prix St. George in 2 weeks and tried some rounded spurs since they are required and I have never used spurs before. Well my horse did not like it at all. We took several steps backwards. The next day I found some dummy
    spurs that are just a smooth metal spur with nothing on it. Hopefully they will work. Plan to try them tomorrow. Seems stupid that I am required to ride in them since my horse does not need them. Oh well. At least at the FEI level they allow you to
    ride in a snaffle as long as you are not showing internationally. Then you have to ride in a double. Crazy.
    On Monday, November 17, 2003 at 2:30:58 PM UTC-7, Bill Kambic wrote:
    "RPM1" wrote in message
    "Terry von Gease"
    Those silly knobby things are far more vicious than most any civilized rowels. Rowels roll over the surface. Knobby abominations push the meat
    in
    front of them like a bow wave leaving a wake of bruised and torn flesh beneath the surface of the skin.

Yes. Thank you.
    Indeed.
    Like with harsh bits, if you need spurs then you have no business
    using them and if you are good enough to use spurs then you
    shouldn't need them.
    I will disagree in part, here.
    A horse that is over-bitted (either by the sheer size of the rig OR by the inablity of the rider to use the rig correctly) is going to suffer negative side effects that can be very difficult to correct later on.
    And, just so it's said here first, the very large mouthpiece bits (generally seen as "mild" are anything but in a small mouthed horse).
    A properly used spur, on the other hand, is ane excellent aid for achieving precision. It is the difference between pointing with a an arrow or a tree limb.
    The spur can also have a positive function in increasing the authority of
    the leg. Some horses need this, some don't. Some need it for a while until they get the idea that the rider is serious.
    Every good rider should know how to use them and no well broke horse should fear them.
    Bill Kambic
    If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
    unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist, culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist, sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist, phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you to get over it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Maria Brockbank@21:1/5 to Kris Carroll on Sun Mar 21 21:47:05 2021
    The dressage people require you to wear spurs at FEI or you will be disqualified. I bought dummy spurs with nothing but smooth medal.
    On Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 2:40:00 PM UTC-7, Kris Carroll wrote:
    "RPM1" <rpm1de...@direcway.com> wrote:
    Why "whisper" with them when I can just as easily
    "whisper" without them to the same end?
    get over yourself; some compete where they are required thus it is a
    skill to acquire
    Lesson of the leg. Done. No need for spurs. EMV
    depending on how and what you ride. Altho I've seen
    Patrick ride plow horses and not need spurs so I'd put
    much less weight on the type of horse and more on the
    method used.
    (rhetorical) why would anyone pester a plow horse with circus tricks
    K
    --
    kcarroll at horse dash country dot com
    agent provocateur and regular poster to rec.eq since early 90s
    manure detector on; fads, gurus, cults, bullies are fair game

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)