• Mega quilter problems

From hennyevie1951@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 9 19:42:59 2017
    I had same issues. I even brought it into my dealer twice and they found nothing wrong with it. I finally realized that I had missed the very last thread guide right near the needle. I had been doing this since I've got the machine. Once I found that
    thread guide it kept the thread straight and haven't had an issue since. so simple once you know the answer. Good luck!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mo3here@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 20 15:08:55 2018
    I've had no issue with my nachine for years. 2 months ago, the bar on the FMQ foot that rests on the needle bar snapped when I was free motion quilting and my machine was in for service for a month. I have had issues with thread shredding when it's on
    the frame ever since, especially when I quilt right to left. I have tried EVERYTHING that's posted on dozens of boards. It works just fine off the frame although I haven't tried ruler work off the frame. Husqvarna is no help.
    Because the machine threads left to right, I suspect that has something to do with it when sewing right to left. At first, I thought my needle must be piercing the thread causing it to shred. Dont think so? Then i thought bobbin tension is affected when
    sewing right to left. May be? Surely, they can't expect us to only sew left to right when fm quilting all the time?
    I'm using HLx5 needles. Have tried top stitch needles. I've tried Sew Fine, Glide and mettler thread. Sew Fine has always been my favorite. I've ordered new spools. I've disconnected my Quilters Dream Cruise control and am using the basic stitch
    regulator. Absolutely nothing helps. I've taken it in for service twice and have had multiple phone conversations. Nada.
    There are so few conversations on line about the HMQ, I xant decide if it's because no one else has problems with them or so few of us bought them???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nann@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 21 05:24:59 2018
    I bought a MegaQuilter and frame, used, about 7 years ago. I quilted five quilts on it. Fooey. I tried the machine as a standalone. Fine for straight stitching but I couldn't free-motion without thread breaking. I checked the thread, the threading,
    everything. Fooey again. Meanwhile I quilted dozens of quilts on my regular domestic machine, Pfrieda (Pfaff 1472). She was Pfearless! Alas, the motor gave out last fall. I bought a new Janome with an 11" arm and nice, bright LED lighting. It's great.

I offered the MegaQ in trade but the dealer didn't want it. The Midwest Mission Distribution Center of the United Methodist Church has a sewing machine ministry. They accept ANY sewing machines. Volunteers know how to refurbish them. The machines are
    sent to mission projects (mostly for economic empowerment for women). The MegaQ went there and, presumably, it will provide years of service. http://www.midwestmission.org is the website. [I also donated a serger and two vintage machines that I was
    given by people who just wanted them to go away.]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jbolduc@roadrunner.com@21:1/5 to dora...@gmail.com on Wed May 9 03:16:56 2018
    On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 8:55:38 AM UTC-5, dora...@gmail.com wrote:
    I recently purchased a used, but almost new, Viking mega quilter. It is skipping stitches and the thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted both tensions, and re-threaded, adjust the frame,it sews good for a minute, then the thread breaks or skips
    stitches. It is driving me crazy...I am new to quilting, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dora

I wish I had read this before I bought my Mega Quilter, I'm having the same issues, thread kept breaking, changed thread, solved the problem, now it is skipping stiches and the needle keeps breaking, it's driving me crazy. I'm using the needles
    recommended in the manual, still skipping and breaking needles. I always thought Viking was a good name, I beginning to think not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Navas@21:1/5 to dora...@gmail.com on Thu May 10 04:50:14 2018
    On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 7:55:38 AM UTC-6, dora...@gmail.com wrote:
    I recently purchased a used, but almost new, Viking mega quilter. It is skipping stitches and the thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted both tensions, and re-threaded, adjust the frame,it sews good for a minute, then the thread breaks or skips
    stitches. It is driving me crazy...I am new to quilting, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dora

Almost 3 years ago I did troubleshooting on our MegaQuilter 18-8, It turned out one of the encoders was just about frozen and would turn rotate properly. Replaced the encoder, and it has been working flawlessly since.

Also, recently the stitcher box failed. I sent away the motor box for modifications. The entire system is working so well, I would not consider replacing it with anything else. It is amazing the difference it has made!

Al, in Missouri

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lrey681@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 26 06:52:44 2018
    I also am having same isssues I took it in and had a bent arm 160 late it is all about the tension

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From paulineoco@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 26 21:14:10 2018
    Just found that I can access the group and wanted to add my two cents about the Viking Mega Quilter to this many years long thread😋. I’ve had my Mega Uilter for about 5;years. I do not have it on a frame. I purchased it strictly for machine
    quilting - (which I don’t really enjoy). I have never had a problem with mine, except for the needle threader. Someone commented about how difficult it is to thread and I agree, so whenever I have to change threads, I just tie the new thread onto the
    old thread and nine times out of ten, it goes all the way through the eye of the needle! I don’t know if anyone mentioned this, but the Mega Quilter is made by Janome. The dealer, who is a “master electrician”, (sounds impressive) told me that in
    his opinion, Janome makes the best machine on the market. I don’t know about that, but I found out after the fact that a friend of mine has the Janome version of the Mega Quilter and they are clearly the same machine with a couple of small differences.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nann@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 28 06:24:40 2018
    The Viking MQ I bought from a friend sat under the sewing table for years, unused. I could not free-motion without the thread breaking. The side-mounted bobbin was a pain to change. Earlier this year (or was it last fall??) I gave it and three other
    machines to the United Methodist Missions agency. They have volunteers who refurbish machines and send them to economic development projects. I was SOOOOO glad to be rid of the MQ. My Janome MQ8200 is just fine for regular sewing and for machine
    quilting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From liwebb55@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 18 11:38:31 2019
    I have had a Mega Quilter for yrs & Inspira frame. Had no problems for yrs then it started breaking thread. FINALLY, after trying everything under the sun,I started using only Aurifil & it got alot better. Now I'm using Superior Bottom Line Polyester in
    the bobbin & it almost never breaks.I wish the quilting space was bigger but this machine is heavy duty & sews great. Also have 15 yr old Janome MC4000(I think) & new Janome MC9450, a Singer treadle,& 2 older Kenmores. Ive been sewing since I was 10 & I'
    m 64...So I'm not completely ignorant of sewing machines.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Irene in CNY@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 14 01:12:32 2020
    I had a Pfaff Grand Quilter on a Inspira Frame which I loved, and which is a clone of the Viking Mega quilter. It ran beautifully for months after I got it until one day...when the thread started breaking and threading. After trying everything -- and
    I mean everything - the light went off..... I had just dropped my bobbin case for he 1000th time. It was likely bent. I next purchased a spare bobbin case and a bobbin case 'DeWarper' from Quilters Apothecary. The Bobbin Case Dewarper gently adjusts
    the case so it is true to round. Any teeny nicks, flat spots and dents disappear to make it into a 'good as new' bobbin case. A truly round 2nd bobbin case gives you another weapon in your troubleshooting bag to isolate the problem. Anyway, since
    selling that machine and getting a larger Juki longarm I also now have a Bobbin Case DeWarper for it as well, and one bobbin case always sits on the dewarper, while the other is being used. If that case gets dropped or noticeable bad things are
    happening with stitching, I swap them out and that is usually the answer (the culprit then goes onto the dewarper). -Irene Scott

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05