• OT Finally! Actively house shopping

From Night Mist@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 24 08:37:32 2017
    Well then, after looking at some horror shows, some foreclosures, and finding that there was darn little that came close to our requirements out of town, we huddled, decided, and made an offer on that first place we looked at. The one with the mangled
    second floor. We are not wild about essential remodeling on a house we are living in, but it is structurally sound, dry, well insulated, and 23 acres. Thus several steps above anything else we have seen. Plus the mold issue in our current bathroom is
    making me sicker ever day and the DDs are totally freaking out about it.

So we offered, they didn't even counter, just said too low, we offered again, they came down $5K, my middle DD said offer $2K more and I will make up the difference. So we did that. They said we need at least $3K more, and I drew the line. We kept
    looking. 3 weeks along now and they called back and said OK we will take your offer.

So, earnest money has been given over, and the fussing about with papers and bankers and inspections and all commences. We are expected to finalize around the end of October.

DD3 says she is never doing this again _ever_. Unless the publishers Clearing house people come a knocking and hand her a check for a bajillion dollars and she is able to buy total awesomeness without fretting and fussing. I told her heck with that, if
    we suddenly and unexpectedly become rich, we will buy a piece of land and build a castle on top of The Hive (the Raccoon City Facility from Resident Evil movies and games). Or maybe just build The Hive and stick an old trailer on top. You only pay
    taxes on what they can see from the road after all.

NightMist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gingerwcgc@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Night Mist on Fri Aug 25 08:36:41 2017
    Yeah!
    Can you send me your address for a little giftee to head your way for the new house?

Use gaw93031@msn.com for email
    Ginger in CA

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 8:37:34 AM UTC-7, Night Mist wrote:
    Well then, after looking at some horror shows, some foreclosures, and finding that there was darn little that came close to our requirements out of town, we huddled, decided, and made an offer on that first place we looked at. The one with the mangled
    second floor. We are not wild about essential remodeling on a house we are living in, but it is structurally sound, dry, well insulated, and 23 acres. Thus several steps above anything else we have seen. Plus the mold issue in our current bathroom is
    making me sicker ever day and the DDs are totally freaking out about it.

So we offered, they didn't even counter, just said too low, we offered again, they came down $5K, my middle DD said offer $2K more and I will make up the difference. So we did that. They said we need at least $3K more, and I drew the line. We kept
    looking. 3 weeks along now and they called back and said OK we will take your offer.

So, earnest money has been given over, and the fussing about with papers and bankers and inspections and all commences. We are expected to finalize around the end of October.

DD3 says she is never doing this again _ever_. Unless the publishers Clearing house people come a knocking and hand her a check for a bajillion dollars and she is able to buy total awesomeness without fretting and fussing. I told her heck with that,
    if we suddenly and unexpectedly become rich, we will buy a piece of land and build a castle on top of The Hive (the Raccoon City Facility from Resident Evil movies and games). Or maybe just build The Hive and stick an old trailer on top. You only pay
    taxes on what they can see from the road after all.

NightMist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Night Mist@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 16 06:43:17 2017
    Well the assessment has been done, we've gotten the report, and in a number of ways it is a hoot! :D

The best example is she keeps referencing the place as "in the extremely rural township of".
    OK, so it is 20 minutes to the nearest Starbucks via the expressway, but it is only 20 minutes and the on ramp is less than a mile from the house. Driving the regular roads it is less than 10 miles to town, and that is passing through one of the larger
    villages on the way. I don't imagine that she counts that the biggest organic herb farm in the county is an easy walk in one direction, and the biggest organic fruit farm is a slightly longer walk in the other.
    I think the cats subtly exerted telepathic influence towards our decision because it is so close to their dealer. They really really enjoy the organic catnip from the herb farm.
    Anyway, 10 miles from town is so _not_ extremely rural!
    Lady is from Buffalo, so maybe the cows next door influenced her notion of rural.

Oh, and I spied a couple of alpacas in a field on the way out there. Gonna have to track down who owns them and find out if they are a hobby or part of a commercial enterprise.

NightMist
    dazzled by the prospect of locally sourced alpaca

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Night Mist@21:1/5 to Night Mist on Fri Oct 20 08:40:17 2017
    On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-4, Night Mist wrote:
    As most of you may grok based on my posting history, the house I live in has been going all to heckies for better than a decade.

I have finally gotten my family to agree that we must move. What is more I have convinced them at long last that it will be more economically sensible to buy.

We are progressing!

Since we did not have credit cards or loans or any such long term debt, we had no credit rating.
    Therefor the bank has had to go seriously old school in writing this mortgage. This has resulted in mass confusion among the underwriters for the last couple of months.
    You would not believe how many times I have had to say, "Check the papers, you already have that." because they are dealing with a whole bunch of pdfs of scanned documentation. I had coffee with the vice president of our branch when he had to scan in
    around half a ream of papers we brought in for him. Then eventually he had to drive down to Pennsylvania to have words with the supervisor in charge to get them on track and to quit asking for things they would know they could not have if they had gone
    through the files as they were supposed to. We went through three different household members on the mortgage because they kept making assumptions without looking at the paperwork. They said put the person with the largest income on, we did that.
    Then they had to take her off because she had no credit rating and was not on any of the bills. Then they wanted me on, because I am telephone woman and they talked to me the most. Then they discovered I was one bill shy of the number they wanted.
    Finally we got DH on it because he has that extra bill (because gas company policy was outdated and they wouldn't put it in my name without DH's "permission", and we couldn't get both of us there at the same time because somebody had to watch the kids.
    Yes that _still_ burns my butt!)

We have finally got everything situated to the mortgage underwriters satisfaction. Now we are waiting for that last letter that means the lawyers run with it for a bit (title search and all that), and then set the closing date.
    Our consumer contact guy keeps saying how "unique" this mortgage is to write. I keep telling him, not unique, retro. This is how it was done 20-30 years ago, before it was considered "normal" to live with crazy amounts of debt. Maybe I am weird, but
    I really really hate debt of any kind, and work intently to pay off any that I fall into as quick as I can.

Yeah, I am having to adjust to the idea of having a couple three decades of debt. Buying a house is not something you can do out of pocket though, unless you are really really rich or have some pretty unusual circumstances going on. I just keep
    reminding myself of all the money we will actually save, and the freedom we will have to do what we want with the place.
    The fact that we will be warm and dry this winter, and can make sure we stay that way every winter hence forward, also helps a lot with my attitude adjustment.

NightMist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05